Zuma's Revenge released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by jpoag, Sep 15, 2009.

1. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Zuma's Revenge has been Released! A buddy of mine worked on the game (I think for 2 years).

Anyways, what do you guys think?

2. Deva

Deva New Member

I played the demo for 30 minutes this morning, and it looks really nice. Classic Zuma gameplay plus bosses at the end of each level, and lots of other new features and gameplay options. What's not to like? :D

3. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Why is this out now? Couldn't it have waited until after the next few milestones here? So far I dig all the "upgrades" and new artwork.

4. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Hooray, there's a Mac version!

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Very nice, impressive that ran at insanely high res (1680x1050). The times of "is 1024x768 safe for casual games" are definitely gone :)

6. ginaz

ginaz New Member

I can't wait to check it out!

7. dewitters

Original Member

2 years in development... am I the only one who thinks that's insane for such a "small" game? How big was that team anyway, does anyone know?

8. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Well, the average PopCap team is usually 3 people: Programmer, Producer and Lead Artist. Then, after the game reaches the tipping point the entire studio shifts to finish assets for the game.

Architekt, the programmer, has been working on the game a little while after finishing up BWA1 (although he would never say what he was working on).

Check out the Credits in the Readme.html file in the program directory.

9. Deva

Deva New Member

Yeah, I agree, it looks nice and sharp on my 1680x1050 widescreen as well, especially when compared to how the "old" Zuma looks on it. But it's good that they included an 800x600 low-res option since there are still plenty of people with 4:3 CRTs and older hardware out there.

Anyway, my only beef with this new version is that the frog's eyes don't follow the pointer when you click on him anymore. (On the title screen.) What's up with that? ;)

10. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

I'd love to read the development synopsis - what exactly happened in those 2 years?

11. barrygamer

Original Member

Had a quick play on windows. Super-slick, but gameplay v similar to the original (as far as I got anyway). I thought they mightve found a new twist on it. On the other hand, stick with what worked. ;)

12. hddnobjcttmmngmntmtch3rlz

There are a few twists. Adventure mode is way easier than original zooma, I beat it in a few hours. The challenge modes are also easy. However, the Iron Frog Gauntlet is really hard. It took me a long time to beat it.

Loved it overall.

13. princec

Indie Author

It's nice, but I'm not sure I'd bother buying it if I already had Zuma.

Cas :)

14. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

Agreed. I think Zuma was better, sure I couldn't beat it, but it was way more fun. I still have it, and play it from time to time. There are many Puzzloop clones better than this one (Beetle Bomp, Tumblebugs, Atlantis, Luxor etc), but I am sure Popcap will sell a lots of copies anyway.

#14 Pallav Nawani, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  15. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Played tons of it recently and I love it. For me it's another reason to play Zuma again. I've played Beetle Bomp and Luxor and all that but they never got me interested enough to buy past demo. Zuma? Yes. New Zuma has a bunch of new stuff swiped (all the powerups and some level designs) from all the other Puzzloop games but packages it all nice and Popcappy.

The only thing I'm missing is a high score table that is easily accessible. It's all about the competition between my wife and I. I'll post a new score, she'll stay up for hours trying to beat it and then vice versa. Well we can do that still but you can't glance at high scores for a particular level to see who has the top score or what it is until you actually beat the level. So I'm looking at all these levels and I have to play through them again just to see if I need to top a score. WTF indeed. Last game had High Scores easily accessible from main menu and it's a weird omission.

16. Olivier

Indie Author

The gameplay is nervous and fun, and there are some new play mechanics. But what UGLY backgrounds.

17. Deva

Deva New Member

Wow, so glad I waited 2 whole weeks to buy this game, as it's already $9.99 at Reflexive. Anyone know if this is a stripped-down version, or the same thing that PopCap is selling?

18. hddnobjcttmmngmntmtch3rlz

It's only the adventure mode, none of the other play modes.

19. Jack Norton

Indie Author

That's an interesting approach on the lowprice topic. Doing smaller/cheaper version of same game with just 1-2 play modes :)

20. Deva

Deva New Member

Yeah, I thought it might be... a drop in price of the full version after just 2 weeks does seem to good to be true.

Yeah, but I wonder if this might be a bit misleading and if it will this lead to some confusion for consumers. If it clearly said something like "doesn't include all gameplay of the $19.95 (or deluxe) version," that would be nice. And it might even lead to more sales of the higher-priced version. Anyway...