Zuma clone Ball Movement

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by joran420, May 29, 2006.

1. joran420

Original Member

whats the best way to handel moving the balls along a point array?

when i use 1 interval and do a for loop to move all the balls currently on screen it seems like it slows down as more balls are added to the screen

So I put the movement code in the onEnterFrame...I could also do a seperate interval for each ball(but that doesnt seem like it would lighten the load any)

so just looking for input on ways to move Several objects along an array of (x,y) points that isnt very processor intensive and keeps them moving at a constant rate(unless theres interaction)

this is in Flash 8 by the way

2. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

I'd expect that zuma uses a spline and simply solves the position along the spline at time X, then each ball has its time value which determines where in the chain it is.

Then all of the game is reduced to basically pushing around these floating point time values for the ball. Essentially down to a 1 dimensional issue.

I could of course be wrong, but I studied it at some lenght and noticed that on sharp angles the path of the balls definitely has spline like continuity and the balls overlap (i.e. the balls arent physically based).

3. Bmc

Bmc New Member

search the forum, it's been talked about before in great detail.

you will find all the info you need

4. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I used bezier curves in Pirate Poppers. I experimented with physically based balls (ie moving the balls further in the curve until they don't overlap) and it feels horrible... having balls moving at a different speed along the curve it's very distracting, almost dizzying.

5. spellcaster

Original Member

I cheated. I had the problem that using the bezier curve function resulted in different speeds of the balls. So, I simply used a bitmap with the movement path drawn onto it. To ensure I get thr ight pixel, I changed the bezier drawing function so it draws the pixels in colors 1-15. So, if my current position is color index 1 I just need to find the pixel with color index 2. Done.
    Since you can create the path bitmaps on the fly you don't waste any space on the HD (Just make sure you create the bitmap in ram and not in VRam ;))

Edit:
    Regarding Pirate Poppers: Great game, esp. the music. You already had me on the buy page but the price spoiled it for me ;)

#5 spellcaster, May 30, 2006
    Last edited: May 30, 2006
  6. Emmanuel

That's a little violent.. It might cause you some grief if you have sharp turns, as well.

What you need to do is to normalize your curve according to the arc length, so that a constant increase of the weight amounts to a constant increase in pixel distance. If you're using Flash you probably want to do it ahead of time instead of have the game do it.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

7. spellcaster

Original Member

Yes, but it was for a 72h compo, and the lib I was using just returned a fixed amount of points. I was lazy and wanted a fast and working solution. So, in stead of writing my own bezier solver I cheated.

8. ggambett

Did you really expect anything different to $20? :)

9. jmc

jmc
    Original Member

Yeah, i would expect new things, like tracks that split, or change ( like train tracks that change routes when you hit the handle ). Not a simple clone.

Jmc.

10. Savant

Original Member

Daaaaaaamn...

11. ggambett

Please read what I wrote again. No, I'll make it easier : I meant "does a $20 price point really look surprising for a casual game?".

We thought about train tracks and detours. We couldn't find a way to make it work and be fun. BTW, regarding "simple clone", where did we clone the Puzzle Mode from? Where did we clone the Arcade Mode from? Where did we clone the living map from?

12. Emmanuel

Well as you know, jmc/patrox, the train tracks and railway switches got cut from Atlantis since it was complex and not provably fun at the time. Maybe someday.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

13. spellcaster

Original Member

Yep. I was expecting a 9.99 or 14.99 price. 9.99 would have made me click buy directly. 14.99 would have taken longer, but I guess I would have bought it. But 19.99 is a total show-stopper for me.

14. Sakura Games

Original Member

Well just use one of the portals gamepass and you can get it for $6.99 without hurting developer's gain and everyone is happy.

15. iopred

Indie Author

You win the thread, I was a little sad until this cheered me up.

16. spellcaster

Original Member

Would be an option, but right now "not buying" is also ok for me ;)