Zoneedit questions

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Jack Norton, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I know for sure that retro64 uses it and was curious about 2 things:
    1) if you use it to have a mirror so the site is never down, you need to have both sites identical? what happens if some site has different files?
    2) also what about php/dynamic pages? you need to have same database on both sites? what about sites that update like submission pages etc?

Don't know if anyone else beside Mike uses it, but any reply is appreciated. I'm curious about how this thing work :)

2. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Actually I switched away from them and use my registrar for dns now. Anyway, if you have two boxes, they should be identical. Because it will round-robin between the two. AFAIK there is no way to have it always refer to one server, and switch to another if it goes down. Instead, it alternates between, and just switches to one if either goes down. Does that make sense?

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes I guess so, I'm not really an expert in this field :)
    So even mySQL db should be the same even if you have 2 boxes... better use normal html pages then!

4. patrox

Indie Author

Zone edit -> click on your domain -> click on advanced -> Click on "Failover service"

You can even redirect to a html page and receive an email that your site is down.

pat.