Zeldaism: picking zelda apart

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Sol_HSA, Sep 4, 2005.

1. soniCron

Indie Author

If that post wasn't sarcastic, I appologize.

2. lakibuk

Indie Author

Why is everybody misinterpreting my post to be sarcastic lately? :)
    I love Super Mario 64 and Zelda, Ocarina of Time. All 3D jump'n'runs that were following are just clones of Super Mario 64.
    With brilliant i just wanted to say that they are brilliant.

3. soniCron

Indie Author

I can't speak for "everybody," but I'll explain myself. A lot of folks hate Mario64, and when you used such short language and ending with, "Brilliant work," it sounded sarcastic. No harm, no foul. ;)

4. ERoberts

Original Member

Mario64 is a MILESTONE in the history of gaming. Just because later games did the same things better doesn't take away from that fact.

Another example: Wolfenstein 3D was a milestone. It doesn't make sense saying that "I hate wolfenstein, FarCry is SO much better".

Kind of sad when aspiring developers turn their back on game history

5. Badman

Original Member

I don't like a context-sensitive interface. When adventure games went context-sensitive (with the later King's Quest and Space Quest entries) the games became much easier (not necessarily a bad thing) but they also began to feel much more linear and like the player had far less control (because he did).

6. Ricardo C

Original Member

But in a game with such a strong action element as the Zelda games, I think it could actually work to make the experience more fluid. I didn't mind keeping track of my inventory in the earlier games, but ever since the series went 3D, I would definitely welcome some simplification.

7. vjvj

Indie Author

The problem with *not* having context-based interface is that you end up with crap like Splinter Cell where you have a seperate button for EVERYTHING ("what button do I press to do splits in the wall again?"). I really hate that.

Like everything, it's a balance. There's a point where you always know what the user is intending to do, so just do it.

The jumping in Ocarina is a perfect example. You run off the edge and Link jumps automatically. Perfect... Reduces the number of stupid falling deaths and makes level balance much much easier for the developer. Purists will say that they think of it as more of a "challenge" to have to jump yourself, but Zelda isn't a jumping puzzle game. My mindset when I'm playing Zelda is adventuring, and the game should focus the experience on that.

With regards to inventory, I actually found myself doing inventory management LESS in Ocarina, since you have more hotkeys than you did in the old Zeldas. But I admit, having to switch boots out all the time was annoying :)

Coincidentally, I never did buy Link to the Past (which I assume is what you guys are referring to as Zelda 3?) until just last week: Picked up the GBA version and am loving it so far!

8. DangerCode

Original Member

Certainly not this hardcore Zelda fan. I imagine more hardcore Zelda fans would be irrate over the claim that Zelda 1 was "rather horrible".

What gives with this thread? What's with the hostility?

9. Ska Software

Indie Author

I haven't really liked Zelda after the Legend of Zelda, which I played like fifty billion times when I was 10. I never had SNES and resented all things SNES (cause I didn't have one) including Zelda 3.

I liked Zelda 64 better, but that really stuck with original Zelda more than Zelda 3 I felt.