Zaxxoids: Original Action-Puzzle Game

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by billj, Sep 21, 2004.

1. billj

Original Member

We've recently released a new game, Zaxxoids, which will make your brain do 5500 RPM in its hamster wheel.

Zaxxoids runs at 1024 x 768 resolution in True Color mode (16.7 million colors) with real-time antialiasing (for smoother graphics), shadow effects, and particle system explosions. Zaxxoids also allows users to play their own music playlists during the game with built-in support for both iTunes and Windows Media Player. Online step-by-step graphical solutions and general hints for levels are accessible from within Zaxxoids by simply clicking a button.

WE'D LOVE SOME FEEDBACK FROM OUR INDIE PEERS.

Download: http://www.download.com/Zaxxoids/3000-2111-10320020.html?tag=more

Cheers!

#1 billj, Sep 21, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  2. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I don't have time to check out the demo at the moment, but I will quickly say I love your website. Great colours, layout, and the 'We make it fun" subtitle. Nice work! I'll be back there for sure.

3. GameStudioD

Original Member

All I can say is: WOW !

The website is very nice and clean looking. This is a rarity. I like how you organized your support page and the navigation is good.

The game itself is very clean and smooth. I like how everything transitions from one screen to another. The graphics are really smooth and crisp. Very nice. The game has all options you could possibly need and they are easy to find. Oh, and the game is pretty fun too. Even the install directory is nice and tidy.

Keep up the good work.

4. billj

Original Member

Thanks for taking the time to have a look. Hopfully others (particularly those with $19.95 to spare) will have good things to say of it as well! It's been "on the market" only a few days now, so we will see...

5. ggambett

Your potential customers probably don't know, let alone care about, what that means.

6. Reactor

Yep, just write-

"Zaxxoids looks sweeeeeeeeeet!"

7. billj

Original Member

Thanks for the kudos. Anyone know of a game at all like this? We haven't found one, but I haven't played EVERY puzzle game, yet. :)

8. serg3d

Original Member

pinball ? :)

9. Mageworkz

Original Member

I like your game. look and feel professional graphics. Zaxxoids will be a good game on the next holidays. all I wanna say is " I've never seen game like this before. ".

Mageworkz Corporation Co.,Ltd.
    http://www.mageworkz.com

10. Sunshine

Original Member

Very original, Very cool graphics [reminds me of Amiga demos or somthing], however

The Sound totally makes this game. What a great use of sounds, I was really impressed. Almost every single sound choice and placement was dead-on!

Also fun to play, I got stuck on the tougher levels of the demo and could not progress. :rolleyes: But I was never very good at puzzle games :D

11. maksum

Indie Author

I agree with what others have said. Great web site, great game. Everything very polished and professional. Wonderful job.

12. Reactor

Okay, finally got to have a game. Things I liked...

-General level of polish.
    -Most of the sounds.
    -The fact it ran at my desktop res and bitdepth.
    -The intro bit.

Things I didn't like...

-The menu sound. It's terrible. There's a nasty clip at the end of it, and it sounds even worse against your ingame sounds.

-I couldn't work out how to play the game! Is there an included manual... somewhere? If there is, I couldn't find it. I realise people could visit your webpage for tips, but nowhere could I find a basic set of instructions that told me the actual point of the game. I 'played' for about ten minutes and then gave up. I'm very good at working games out without instructions, but I still couldn't work out what to do, so I wonder how your average non-gamer will fare. I'd expect very badly, I think you'll loose a ton of sales because of this. Instructions via webpage is a very bad idea.

-The antialiasing. It looks nice, but the game chugs a fair bit on my Athlon 1800+. I can run Doom 3 quite well, and just about every other new game on the market, but your menu flys in from off screen with a jerk or two. So... an option to disable AA would be great, especially for the low-end user, who more than likely couldn't care less about it anyway.

13. tolik

Original Member

Being very picky and being game designer for some things myself, I can say following things (no offense, this is my opinion):

0) Interface is great. It's very clear and user friendly. I was amazed by the animation and could open-close windows forever.

At first, I wanted to see windowed version at lower resolution, but then understood that game is running 1024x768 and there's no way to change this.

What I'm really missing here are sound options, I would love to disable all the sounds which, unfortunately, become annoying after 2nd level :(
    Also, "restart level" needs a confirmation. All the destructive actions must be confirmable and cancel-able ;) Somebody can accidentaly click the button and blame the game for being so unpredictable

So I've started to play on Normal-level difficulty knowing that I have experience to handle complex puzzles.

1) The game is too slow at the first level. I wanted to have a "speed-up" feature binded to "SPACE" or a mouse button. If you've ever played "Twisty Tracks" on "easy" difficulty, you would know what I mean.
    I was making combos without knowing that I should destroy "saturn-like" balls (orbs).

2) 2nd level. I lost the objective of the game again! I didn't remember that I need to detonate these orbs! It wasn't put into my brain properly.
    All of sudden, it became too hard. I saw three targets, some kind of bio-hazard signs, I felt lost, annoyed and f*cked when all these balls falled into the wrong positions.
    I started to go through all menus and try to find "how to play". It's missing. I think it was displayed once before the game but I didn't pay much attention to it. The game should involve player into gameplay from the first moment, I prefer having an arrow pointing to the initial objective ("click here to open the gates", "put the ball here") or better, having an interactive demo!

3) Graphics really does look very polished and clean, but there's something missing to make the game more appealing.
    I would propose caleidoscope effect on the background, looks like the perfect effect. It might distract the user from the game field, though. I'm unsure. I would love to see something living and animated.

4) No real physics. I guess I'm demanding too much, but the point of having round-like forms is seeing balls rolling with increased-decreased velocities and feeling their weight and acceleration. Kinda Hamsterball or Ballance (if you've played it, you would feel the power of steel ball).

5) Visualized gameplay! Realtime Action-based gameplay in casual games does really need to be visualized if it's that complicated! That's a GREAT feature to have in easy mode, you've done it in a very good way!
    Too bad I didn't know about it from the very beginning.

And that moves us onto:
    6) You know, when we are selecting game difficulty, we should know the difference between them. I would propose adding a table with in-game features which depend on the difficulty.

"Hints: On"
    "Speed: Slow"

Even if there are only two features, it would make everything look much more distinctive and user-friendly.

7) Readme shipped with a game.
    Having a basic offline help would solve a bit of the problems I've mentioned. When I went online I checked a very verbose help, but without knowing and willing to check everything, I would drop the game.

8) Unclear scoring scheme.
    You know, a lot of games popup scores when something is removed. I would prefer to know what I'm getting for making combos and stuff.

I can add that I'm very excited about your online "Support" page, it's very-very clear and usefull, but again, having a CHM or any kind of offline manual would be great, cause clicking on an every menu on the site is kinda annoying.

9) Missing arcade mode.
    Puzzles are great, but how about making a game more appealing by adding endless mode?

Overall: 3/5 (5 - AAA casual title like Bejeweled)
    You've done a great job implementing it and finishing the product, but it doesn't have charm element :(

(please don't take it too personal, I'm just used to make this kind of analysis for different products)

14. billj

Original Member

Wow! Thanks very much for all the great feedback! All of your thoughs are very helpful.

Regarding not understanding the objective of the game, there is a pop-up explanation the first time a person plays. Was that helpful in clarifying the goal of the game?

If anyone else has played, were you able to figure out what to do?

Thanks!

15. Reactor

I don't remember seeing that popup. I recall something about it, but... well, maybe I skipped it in all the excitement ;) I restarted a player and there it was, this time. Maybe something could be put in the options for people, in case (like me) they slip and click continue past the help.

Anyhow, cool game, though a little too brain taxing for me!

16. maksum

Indie Author

The thing I got hung up on was getting the orbs to dissappear. I got 3 of them stuck together and nothing happened. I FINALLY realized that they have to be in a STRAIGHT row to make them. It could just be me being slow and not reading very carefully.

I wonder if that could be clarified in the instructions, emphasizing "STRAIGHT" or if you have to illustrations, one with 3 clumped together with a red "x" and then one with 3 in a row with a green checkmark or something like that.... just thinking outloud.

Mike

17. Valkilos

Original Member

Great game, very professional! Just figured it's time for my own $0.02 ;)

It gets very hard, very quickly. By the second level of the second difficulty, the balls were coming so fast that I felt totally overwhelmed. Part of the reason you get most of your sales from people who beat all eleven levels may be that people who DON'T beat all eleven levels are discouraged, and believe they'll never see most of the levels in the full version because they're so hard.

Also, I couldn't tell what causes a level to be lost. Sometimes seemingly random orbs just start ticking down on a timer, and by the time they start ticking, it's usually too late to try to clear them from the board.

Anyhoo, a "How to Play" option on the main menu, and a better explanation of the different difficulty settings affect the game, might help out considerably. :) Keep up the good work!