Zamby and the Mystical Crystals - Feedback Request

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by TMK, Jun 5, 2007.

1. TMK

TMK
    Indie Author

Greetings everyone!

We are finally ready to release a preview version of our latest game, Zamby and the Mystical Crystals! This is a fantasy puzzle game, in the same genre as Lolo, Dweep and Fitznik, with 150 mind-twisting levels. It's been in development for some time now, but now we are closing in on the last stages, finally!

Download!

Game Description

Zamby and the Mystical Crystals is a unique puzzle game set in a vast, enchanted fantasy land! Help Zamby in his quest to gather the mystical light crystals!

The gameplay in Zamby is very simple to grasp! You use the arrows on your keyboard to walk around. Your goal is to pick up all the crystals in a level. Along the way, monsters and obstacles like snow, mud, rocks and water will need to be dealt with. Zamby can push boxes, use bombs and lure enemies around in order to solve the riddles.

Game Website

Screenshots & Video

YouTube - Video Trailer

Screen 1
    Screen 2
    Screen 3
    Screen 4
    Screen 5
    Screen 6
    Screen 7
    Screen 8
    Screen 9
    Screen 10

Feedback Request

We would really appreciate any kind of feedback you have, especially in the presentation of the game and tutorial system, if you understood how to play the game and if the difficulty of the levels are good. It sure gets much, much harder in the levels in the full version though :D

And feedback of course if the game doesn't run at all! :)

The nagscreen and level structure is not 100% finished.

If anyone wants to test the full version of the game, just PM me!

Download!

Thank you so much for your time!

2. me_36

me_36 New Member

Nice!

Hello Tor Martin,

Wonderful game you have there.
    Ran very smoothly on my system.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHZ
    512 MB RAM
    nVIDIA GE Force FX 5200 graphics card (1280x1024)
    Creative SB Sound card

Good luck with this!

Hope you are doing well!

Kind regards from

ME

3. TimS

Original Member

TMK,

Nice work! Seems the market for Lolo-inspired games is... erm... getting crowded :eek: .

Ah well. Yours is done so you win the day!

The Pros:
    • Runs smooth and fast
    • Plays well -- good response, good puzzles
    • I'm a HUGE fan of how instantly you can get from one level to the next... a bit jealous really, now that I think about it.
    • tutorial is not too intrusive and works well

Couple of cons:
    • some of the graphics are a bit underdone IMO... trees, grass tiles... some animations seem awkward
    • only 10 levels in the demo? (+2 hidden) ... I'd consider going with the standard hour demo, since the fanbase of this type of game will make VERY quick work of the 10 levels and feel a bit put-off by how quickly the demo is over
    • since the game plays entirely on the keyboard, you might want to go an extra mile n' a half to ensure the player NEVER needs to reach for the mouse. It's always frustrating to move between the two.
    • That said... howabout mouse control?

Some handful o' 2 cents for ye.

-Tim

4. TMK

TMK
    Indie Author

Thank you for all your feedback guys!

me_36:

Great to hear that! Always nerve wrecking to see if the game works on all computers and how well it works.

TimS:

Yes, looks like the Lolo series definitely made a mark among future game developers! :D

Great to hear about the pro's! About the con's:

We tried to get a certain unique graphics style and not the usual cartoon style :)

There are 10 "normal" levels, and 10 "kids" levels, and 2 secret levels, although 4 of both normal and kids levels are tutorial levels. This is something we are still working on though, to make the perfect demo set :) We won't count the tutorial levels as actual levels in the demo though in the description etc.

And regarding mouse control, what casual game can be without it! We are working on it now, but will suggest to the player to use keyboard as some levels of the game, and in classic Lolo style, really depend on timing and where you walk/move boxes.

5. TMK

TMK
    Indie Author

Just wanted to let you know that we've now implemented mouse control. We went for what we think is the easiest one to understand, simply click and hold to move Zamby in the direction you are pointing to.

However, we do recommend in the game that the users should use the keyboard, as in some levels you must step wisely to avoid the monsters etc. :)

Uploaded the new version, so those who wish can download it using the Download link in the first post :)

Thanks!

6. Dock

Original Member

Just gave this a try, and from first impressions it seemed very good. I really liked the undo feature, and it was very easy to figure out how to play. My main criticism would be that it is sometimes hard to see where the trees and boxes line up with. If you put a box next to a wizard it's hard to tell exactly which tile to put it on, and when you push it into the water it doesn't really appear to sink. In some ways it might be better if there was a visible grid on the floor as well, as the levels are quite bit it can be hard to guage what lines up with what from a distance. Good work though, pleasantly surprised :)

7. TMK

TMK
    Indie Author

@Dock:

Thanks for your comments!

Yes, it might sometimes be hard to see the level as the grid it is. Currently if you click the middle-mouse button in the game, a "laser" pointer will appear that will help show what lines up with what, so that might be of some help though :)

8. Dock

Original Member

I was playing with keys, so that wouldn't help me much.

When I did try mouse, I found the mouse control accidentally pushed my block into the water when I wanted to walk around it. Perhaps it shouldn't push blocks unless you click on the block itself.

Also I ran into the 'yes no' question when I unlocked an encyclopedia entry, and had to return to mouse to get past this. I would prefer to be able to use keys only.

9. TMK

TMK
    Indie Author

Dock:

We are going to add some kind of "Show grid" option, which the user can turn on and off as they play, hopefully it might help as well.

And we will try to adjust the mouse control, we thought about having to click on the box to move it, but it might be hard for casual players to understand and might be tedious when one needs to push the boxes far and in certain paths and need to either click on the box each time to move it, or "lock" the player onto the box.

Fixed the Yes/No message box (although it did work to use Y and N keys but it's not that self explanatory :cool: ).

Thanks! :)