Yummy Drink Factory Released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by amaranth, Jul 6, 2008.

1. amaranth

Original Member

The Scoop

Okay, it's being released tomorrow, but I thought I'd give everyone here a heads up.

My game is called Yummy Drink Factory, and it is my attempt to create a sorta-new type of time management game. Last year around August, I had this brilliant idea (okay, I thought it was brilliant at the time) to make a game about creating food. Around February, it appeared that a bunch of other devs had the exact same idea because a ton of food games came out. I later learned that we probably were all influenced by a food game that came out last July. Drats! Thwarted again! Ah well, in the end, I think I came up with something that differs a little from the pile of food games that have come out...

[​IMG]

About Yummy Drink Factory

Yummy Drink Factory is a Ticket Management game, a hybrid of the Time Management genre. Here is the official blurb from my site:

"Create chocolaty desert drinks and top them with an assortment of goodies, including whipped cream, cookies, and fairy dust. Yummy Drink Factory includes 36 recipes, lots of tasty toppings and flavors, and a blender to make cool summer smoothies.

If you master all of our recipes, you can even make your own and share them with your friends at the Recipe Trading Ground!

You can play the game in Story mode or Freedom mode and collect gems to purchase adorable decorations from the general store. Decorate your drink stand with moon beams, slug slime, and more!"

And here is a screenshot:

[​IMG]

Learn More About Yummy Drink Factory

Download Yummy Drink Factory

2. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Congrats!! Downloading it now...

JC

3. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I only played 15 minutes to have a flavour of the game. It is very interesting and should be a big success. Weldone... I like the story, it is a nice change for once.

There are stuff you can still improve. For example when you highlit product in the tutorial, you are using a green arrow and circle. It might be a good idea to make it red and flashing, this will be more obvious. Sometimes I had to search for the things highlited. Yes, I have a big screen ;)

Also, the first time, I didn't read the text for unloading the cream, I find it by myself (right click). But first, time, I tried to put it back by just left clicking were I took it. this didn't worked. It might be a good idea, to leave a semi-transparent cream bottle, and allow to click it back to unload the item.

Same thing when I had the flavour thingy in my hand. I find it hyper difficult to select the cream while have the flavour in my hand. You definitely need to improve the selection area around your object, because at the moment, there are too many lost clicks.

JC

4. Musenik

Original Member

I ran the game under VMWare Fusion on my Macintosh. They claim they support DirectX 8.0, but Yummy Drink Factory crashed upon launch. It's probably a torque thing, because they caught their crash and asked to submit a bug report to torque.

I have tried six other casual games with success under VMWare. I doubt you'll find many users who play under VMWare.

Let me know when the Macintosh version is available!

5. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Congrats on the release! downloading now. When I saw the screenshot I was wondering if it's harder to read the ingredients instead of seeing a visual representation, although you probably only need to read the first work of each ingredient - I guess I'll find out soon.

6. amaranth

Original Member

@Musenik
    No worries, we're releasing a Mac version of this game. I broke down and purchased a mac test laptop about a month ago. My whole family (mac-lovers) was stoked. :)

@Gray Alien
    Yep, I know what you mean. This is a big experiment for me, but I figured what the heck, I'll be a guinea pig and see how people respond to text instead of pictures.

@jcottier
    All noted! One of the mistakes I made early on with this game was that I didn't provide enough space for all of the objects on the counter. I'm going to be a bit more careful in the future. Objects should light up when they are selected. Hopefully that will help folks.

7. Musenik

Original Member

Cool! Now I'm stoked! Congrats!

8. hicham

hicham New Member

Congratulations Amaranth for this great release, it's really appreciated by a lot of people, I'm not time management fan but my sister enjoyed it, if ur next game will be a hidden object I'm ready to buy it from u :)

9. SteveZ

Indie Author

I gave this game a go but at certain points the game slows down that the cursor image doesn't follow the mouse well:

Splash screen & main menu - no slowdown
    Main menu (enter name prompt) - medium slowdown
    Map - light slowdown
    Game - heavy slowdown

Tried fullscreen/window no difference, computer pass system requirement test but doesn't have a good graphics card.

I'll give this another try on my laptop a bit later tonight.

-Steve Z.

10. amaranth

Original Member

Hey Steve, do you know if that computer has 3D acceleration enabled on it? The game will run poorly if it isn't available.

@hicham
    I'm probably not going to make an HO game, but I am going to make an adventure game... sort of similar because you have to search for objects in different rooms. Unlike an HO game, you won't have a list of objects that you have to find... you'll get requests from characters in the game... does that make sense? If you like HOs you should check out this freeware game: http://www.crystalshard.net/atotk.php

11. SteveZ

Indie Author

I'm pretty sure my desktop doesn't have 3D acceleration. However, I tested it on my laptop and it ran smoothly. I played around 11 levels so far.

I like this game, it is very charming. Two things I particularly like are the overall serenity felt from the gentle artwork and the music as well as the occasional special drink request. Good luck with sales! I'm sure it'll do well.

-Steve Z.

12. Cartman

Indie Author

This is really great news. Can't wait to play it.

13. Olivier

Indie Author

BTW your buy button takes me to your Plimus order page for Grimm's Hatchery.

14. amaranth

Original Member

Which button? On the website somewhere?

15. HDL

HDL New Member

Same here. When I click "Buy game" on http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/ydf/ it leads to https://www.plimus.com/jsp/buynow.jsp?contractId=1682107 which shows up as selling Grimm's Hatchery to me.

The story was a nice change, the idea of the game was fun, but the game itself seemed to be lacking for me. I really didn't enjoy the first half hour of the demo and if it hadn't been made by you chances are I'd have just stopped there. Whilst I do like some time management games Yummy Drinks Factory seemed to fall into the pile of those I didn't like.

It took a lot to learn that I didn't have to click on the person I was serving drinks to, or drag the drinks on the counter to the person, or the ticket. To begin with just clicking on the names on the tickets seemed counter-intuitive and I had to constantly self-correct. It's probably because I'm used to other time management games where this isn't the way things are done. I too had problems finding the green arrow to click on during the tutorial options. During the story screens I just wanted to click to continue as opposed to having to move my cursor down to the right area. Clicking on the little dots to progress to the next level seemed strange too, especially since they were small and didn't give much of a clue what the level they represented were. I prefer having a big "next level" button.

Buying the decorations for the shop wasn't as fun as it could be. It seemed rather pointless and I wasn't sure if they were just decorative or served another purpose.

With the blender I kept moving it back in place instead of right clicking to get rid of it. It just felt more natural to put things back where they were with a moving of the mouse and a left click, of course this didn't work. I had problems selecting the right cream since there was so little space between them. I also had problems placing the snowflakes on the glass since they seemed to want a very specific small area to be placed.

If it hadn't been one of your games chances are I'd have just closed it off before the first half hour was up and never returned to it. It could be because I'm used to other time management games I was on a bit of a learning curve to work out how Yummy Drink Factory did things. I found the learning rather frustrating, though your tutorial was useful (even if I was all grrrr go away tutorial stop telling me how to play the game) :). So most of what I say above isn't a bad thing, it just shows that the game mechanics are different from the others which is good even if it had me muttering with frustration.

So, for the first half hour the game wasn't fun for me, only then something clicked into place. I got a little more used to the mechanics and I think it was the moment I had five different recipes to prepare and went "hey, I can make these in advance" and there was more than one order at a time to fill, and I'd to remember all the recipes and it started getting fun. I liked the frantic filling of glasses, remembering the recipes, preparing things in advance (and having enough room to do so). It was fun. I love the whole design your own drinks and share them idea.

16. xelanoimis

Original Member

Looking great - really tasty!
    I love the game's graphics and the website too.

As a constructive advice (I hope), the texts below the website's top icons (games, news, order, etc) could probably use a better font (characters with border?) or they could be better highlighted from the background image (with the tree tops).

17. amaranth

Original Member

Point taken, I need to spice up the beginning. I'm going to add two more recipes to the first levels... I keep hearing the same thing... slow start, but fun after the juggling begins.

18. Elder

Elder New Member

Congratulation Amanda!

I watched the video and it looks fantastic!

19. Hideo

Hideo New Member

Is this a game for kids? Graphics put me off seriously. It looks like something for a 10yo pink, pony loving girl.

#19 Hideo, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  20. JGOware

Indie Author

Not into this kinds of games, but the screenshot on the first post has what appears to be gothic looking characters. ?