Your most important "thingy" during development

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by ZeHa, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ZeHa

Original Member

Hello!

Just curious if you've got some special thing on your desk or something else that gets you into the right "mood" to develop your stuff. What's your most important thing that must be available?

Do you listen to some special music? Do you consume a special drink while developing? Do you turn out the lights and sit in the dark? Do you have some strange puppet on your monitor that watches you all the time? Do you turn on your TV and let it "talk" in the background? Do you use your laptop and spend hours on the toilet? Do you have two pretty girls to the left and the right? :D

I personally don't have the right space at the time to really feel good at coding (very small desk, very uncomfortable chair, very small apartment, very annoyed-by-loud-music-neighbours) but what the heck. If I could choose, I'd like to have a little garden with a wooden shed, and I would sit in there and be completely isolated. I'd listen to my favourite music (mostly Heavy Metal and Electro / SID-Stuff etc), which is the only thing that I can do already now :D and I'd be happy. If I'd like to take a break, I could walk around outside, etc, this would really be perfect!

For a "physical", or better, "thingy" thing, I do have something, though. I once opened a Mr. Brown Coffee* can with a tin opener and used it for pens and pencils. Since then, I did that everywhere where I may code ;) I have one at home, at my girlfriend's apartment (where I'm around most of the time - I have actually four of them here and many many pens) and also one at work (I'm also coding there, but not game stuff).

* http://www.worldofsweets.de/out/oxbaseshop/html/0/dyn_images/1/imp_400020.jpg
    This is my coffee of choice, and because it looks so damn cool, I love it having this on my desk... of course not only for pens, also for drinking it ;)

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

I love frappé coffee. Coffee is enough to put my programming wheels in motion.

3. andrew

andrew New Member

The di.fm lounge or chillout channels... great for background music that's not too distracting....

- andrew

4. Videogame Biscuit

Videogame Biscuit New Member

I always (well, not always but at least 80% of the time) play Kraftwerk when coding.

5. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Beer.

And whale noises (but I usually make those myself down the toilet the next morning).

6. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I get my iPod. Then iCode.

If it's monotonous coding, then I listen to rock to keep me awake: Petra, Whiteheart, Kerry Livgren, Greg X Volz, Rez, Guardian, Novella, or lots of other bands

If it's intense coding, then I listen to smooth jazz so I can concentrate: Peter White, Rippingtons, Joyce Cooling, Four80East, or others.

7. princec

Indie Author

Music!

Cas :)

8. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

My keyboard.

9. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

Time.

I need to have time to sit down and get something done. I prefer blocks longer than five minutes which is sometimes all I have before I get interrupted. Nothing ruins my progress more than constant interruption.

And my mouse. I have an optical trackball that fits my hand perfectly. I love it. I wish I had two; one to use and another in case the first one breaks.

10. mot

mot
    Indie Author

Country music, tea. And I prefer coding in large rooms for some reason.

11. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

My dog, to pester me to go out and remind me that I've spent too much time in front of my PC.:p

12. tagged

Original Member

Whao.. You have four girlfriends!! :eek: I swear that's what I read the first time and had to re-read it :D

As for me, It's just winamp on random with all my mp3s. Lately I've kept open a book with notes and ideas by my keyboard that I can glance over or jot something down. Grey Tea is a definite help as well, but I never eat while coding (I thought no-one would do that, considering grease and sticky fingers.. but apparently there are lots of people who do!). I also customize my desktop wall paper every few months with the theme being my game, so that everytime I turn the monitor on I get reminded to do work!

13. Mephs

Mephs New Member

But if we didn't eat at our computers how are we supposed to do 72 hour coding marathons!!?

Kidding aside, my laptop is my most valuable aspect of my working space... I hate being confined to working in a single room, as much as I wish I didn't have interruptions at all during coding, in the real world I have a girlfriend who would probably be somewhat annoyed if I spent all my time up in the spare bedroom coding away and ignoring her. Now I can work in the living room, and as long as I can find some shade to avoid glare it is even possible to work in the garden.... which makes my wireless network the second most important thingy.

If we ever get round to converting our loft for more space in the house, I'd like to get a desk setup so it is possible to code with a second monitor... I wold love to be able run my game on one and debug on the other, or run a program on one and follow a tutorial on the other, it strikes me as something that would boost productivity no end.

As for general drinks/music/etc I tend to drink coffee, coke or fruit juice and listen to metal/rock/electronic type stuff, or occasionally nothing at all if I'm really "in the zone".

14. KG_Brad

KG_Brad New Member

Dr. Pepper and Megadeth.

15. GBGames

Indie Author

I have a hard time using any one thing to get me motivated. Any single thing would get stale and lose its effectiveness. Maybe I just need to get into the habit of swapping out the stale motivational tools with fresher ones.

For instance, at one time I changed my desktop wallpaper to an image of my game at the time with the text "Finishing this game would so rule. Be a hero. Be an indie"
    http://gbgames.com/blog/images/heroDesktop.png

It worked for a bit. I would see it and think, "Oh, yeah. I should try to make some progress on that game."

For some time, however, I haven't noticed it. A similar wallpaper is on my cell phone. I've been ignoring it, too.

I think each month or every few weeks, it would be a good habit to get into to create a new motivational wallpaper.

Otherwise, the one thing I do before every coding session is open up my blog and update the next Thousander Club entry. I write down the current time, and when I am finished working, I write down the new time, figure out the difference, and update the hours worked. I once tried working without the network connection, but I forgot that I had recorded hours in a text file (since I never do that). Now I have no idea if I am three hours behind or if it is accurate, but I figure that if those three hours make that much of a difference, I'm not working enough. B-)

16. KG_Brad

KG_Brad New Member

Haha, that wallpaper is awesome. I think I need one of those :)

17. moose6912

moose6912 New Member

After switching over to dual monitors, I find it pretty hard to get back to single screen development. Now all I need is to see if 3 monitors are even better for development than 2 monitors and get a comfy chair.

18. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

A fun project to be working on...

19. Tr00jg

Original Member

Music and lots of it!

Cue Muse!

20. tagged

Original Member

I had thought of triple-monitors, but wasn't sure exactly what the 3rd would need to show!?

I must admit I was on a dual 17" CRT until late last year when I bought a 22" widescreen LCD (thanks to Chimei panels), and I can't imagine going back to 4:3 anymore. Just the last few weeks I have actually been considering purchasing another one, as while the widescreen aspect is very good for coding, there are some things that work better dual screen!