Your favorite studio?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Shoe, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Shoe

Shoe New Member

What is your favorite game studio? They dont have to be indie so what is your favorite?

Mine would be Ankama (creators of Dofus, Dofus Arena, and their knew game Wakfu). I LOVE their artwork and artstyle. Their music is great and they really know what people like in games.

2. Mashew

Mashew New Member

Bungie. Halo 3 FTW!

(If you haven't heard yet. Bungie is officially Indie again. Microsoft let them go since they asked to be let go. They moved back to Chicago. Can't wait to see what comes from Bungie now!)

3. Ratboy

Original Member

I'm pretty sure they're still in Kirkland, WA. A friend of mine works there; he would have mentioned moving.

4. Aleksi

Aleksi New Member

I really love Ankama. I played Dofus right at the start. I contacted them many times in an attempt to work for them and compose new music. Perhaps it has changed by now, but when i was playing, it was simply horribleā€¦ And that is why i proposed to change it! :rolleyes:

But yeah, i second that, they do a great job!

But i think my favorite remains Blizzard. I don't really dig WoW anymore but the Diablo series and Starcraft I where great! I can't wait for Starcraft II! Not forgetting to mention Blizzard has always been smart enough to support the Mac platform.

Aleksi.

5. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

The Behemoth has to be up there for me, for the fun factor they achieve and the quality and quantity of amazing looking content, it's simply amazing from such a small team of people.

So shoot me, I think Popcap are pretty amazing for simmilar reasons. Even if they arn't always making the types of games I enojoy, they always set a really high bar for all their titles and that commands my respect.

6. Mashew

Mashew New Member

I think like 130 people stay in WA. while the others go back to Chicago.

7. Sybixsus

Original Member

My favourite studio no longer exists. Troika. They made wonderful RPG's. Arcanum was probably the best PC RPG ever made. Vampire : Bloodlines had some of the best RPG moments in it ( the haunted hotel was just amazing. ) Temple of Elemental Evil was bloody good too. Shame they weren't lucky enough to partner up with a decent publisher who wouldn't have kept pushing their games out the door before they were ready, giving them a bad reputation they really didn't deserve. Bonus points because they could have and should have made Fallout 3, and it would have been good.

8. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

It's difficult to pick a favorite studio. I've enjoyed so many games.

The old Sierra games were a blast: I loved the Kings Quest series, the Space Quest series, Colonel's Bequest, Robin Hood, Camelot, and others.

LucasArts has always been a favorite of mine too: I enjoyed all their Indiana Jones games, Sam and Max, X-wing and Tie Fighter, Dark Forces, Secret of Monkey Island, and Outlaw.

Interplay was another favorite in the 90s: I loved their old Lord of the Rings game, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, and Star Trek: Judgement Rites.

Also the Commander Keen series by id Software, the Crystal Caves series by Apogee, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, Re-Volt, Darkstone, Zuma, Fizzball, Text Twist, Lemmings: Paintball, and lots of others I could name...

9. Sharpfish

Original Member

Epic... though only if forced to choose based on how much time I've spent with a studio's games and the fun I've had.

Edit > Oh and I forgot Capcom who on consoles at least have been the developers of a lot of my favourite games (Resident Evil 4, Dead Rising etc). They always seem to go the extra mile to push and polish stuff, but unlike Epic their PC games (ports) leave a lot to be desired, on consoles though they are amazing.

EDIT 2 (Dec 2007) > Sorry but couldn't leave the above here any longer without editing it, Forget Epic they've gone to seed (on PC at least) both Gears and UT3 while good games are not teh same company I loved all those years, their games no longer feel as if they were made solidly for the PC and everything felt compromised.. forget em.

New choice? Crytek and then valve. Crytek still have more to do to prove their gaming side but by god can they cater to the PC and write a good engine. I've had more fun with the Crysis editor (and the game) than any other game i've ever played (and i've played thousands of AAA titles since 1982). Yes you need a good rig, I run on very high config hack in dx9 at ~30fps @ 1440x900 widescreen and it's awesome, not just the graphics but the physics, the freedom, the gameplay and most importantly the fun, it's also solid as a rock and completely PC centric unlike Bioverhyped shock which was appauling on the PC this year (obviously a very bad port/afterthought - much better on the 360 which is stupid for a FPS to feel better with a controller)

#9 Sharpfish, Oct 10, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  10. moose6912

moose6912 New Member

Sierra with all their classic adventure games such as Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest adventure games were all a blast and I miss those games.

Blizzard is also on the list due to their Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo franchise.

11. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

Blizzard for me too:)

I entered the Warcraft 3 TFT Lost temple tourney yesterday (top 16 go through to a knockout stage ) and finished ......17th with 5 wins 0 loses and 2 draws (30 mins max a game) sadly i didnt have time to play the last game (you can play 8 games)

Its a great game to escape to when i need a break from developing, only thing is a mini break can last about 2 hours lol.

Yeah and im looking forward to starcraft.....as im a big fan of RTS games.

Sega has always been a fav with the sega rally, daytona, V fighter, chu chu rocket games and looking forward to 360 sega rally.

Darren.

12. lakibuk

Indie Author

13. Twitchfactor

Original Member

Treasure's one of my all time favorite developers.

They've made some of the best shooters/run & guns ever made.

Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
    Contra III (SNES)
    Contra Hard Corp (Genesis)
    Gunstar Heroes (Genesis)
    Sin & Punishment (N64)
    Ikaruga (Gamecube / Dreamcast)

the list goes on, but hose are some highlights.

14. Sammgus

Sammgus New Member

I think MicroProse would have to be number 1 for me (Master of Magic, X-COM, Master of Origin, Pirates, Civ etc).

The 2-man team at Illwinter (Dominions series) deserves a mention too. They're almost indie too (ShrapnelGames handles marketing and distribution I think).

15. Agent 4125

Indie Author

16. Tr00jg

Original Member

Blizzard, most definitely. They have not made a game that I have not enjoyed.

As for indie, I would go for Nifflas (creator of Knytt). Its not precisely a studio, but yeah...

17. bignobody

Indie Author

Rockstar. They upset people and still make money hand-over-fist. I upset people and don't get squat :D

18. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

DICE/EA (for Battlefield 2: Modern Combat XBox360) I've played that game online in multiplayer mode more times than is healthy :)

19. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Nintendo. Their 1st party stuff is always fantastic.

20. Coyote

Indie Author

Origin. R.I.P.

Currently existing studio? Bioware.

Indie Studio: NinjaBee. But I'm biased :)