You guys are the only ones who can help me.

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by louvor, Feb 20, 2017.

1. louvor

louvor
    Expand Collapse

Hello guys, im just gonna start diving through to the subject.

When i was 13. I wanted to do something more different than you know, just playing and started to research everything about developing a game. I tried so many things back then like programming languages (c++ for 1 year and 10.000 pages docs, java , c# , vb 6.0 vs.vs. I really lost count.), game engines (gamemaker , blender , unity(mostly), Cryengine 3) I wanted to be a 1 man army really :)

So as you might guess, it didn't work out and i quit after 1 year and no solid work in the hand. These days -btw im 17 now- my passion for developing came back. I know all the basic stuff. How the game business works, how the coding works and everything. I picked my engine and my 3d model programs which are being Unity3d + blender.

What i want from you guys is kind of a question-answer thing. So Im beginning.

for unity3d;
    1) which language? (js or c#)
    2) do i need to learn the programming language or should i just dive right in to the its usage in unity. ()
    3) where can i learn unity? (i can understand english better now over the past 4 years );
    4) In learning process should i go with the "how to make blabla games tutorial series" or classes in unity?
    5) how can i know im good enough to quit learning scripting and move on to the things like modeling. (as you know 1 man army xD)

please do not say go with game maker and all the basics stuff that I had gone through already.
    I want to do this. Im 100 percent committed now.

Maybe that questions were not good so im adding my goals too so you guys can understand me. (Its my first year in english so i apologize for the writing errors)

My short-term goals; I want to proof that i'm capable of being a developer. (Im a language student so im not good with maths and physics. which in my country the primary lessons u need to pass if you want to be a computer engineer. Which is literally impossible for me to get a degree now bc of our education system or whatever.)
    My long-term goals; Its my passion. Its what i want to do. and it wouldn't hurt combining my 2 passions. Language student + Computer engineer. (I want to be as good as the ones who has degrees on game dev or sth :) )

Xangotrick and RRBE Sound like this.
  2. DUUUDE123

DUUUDE123
    Expand Collapse

1. UnityScript (JS for Unity) is good for starting out, but is rarely used by professional developers that use Unity.
    2. In my opinion it is most useful to learn these specifically for Unity because they are really different in how they are used for Unity than in any other area of programming. (I don't know much about this answer besides what I already put here)
    3. Take a look at the Unity documentation and look at more professional-looking tutorials that go from start to finish.
    4. Look at #3, but go with what feels right for you
    5. If you feel like you have a solid hand on how to manipulate game objects, scenes, etc. in the engine as well as in the editor then I'd say it's time to move on

louvor likes this.
  3. bantamcitygames

bantamcitygames
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

1) Unity, C#, Visual Studio
    2) I don't think it is necessary, but I would urge you to learn some of the key paradigms like OOD, Data Structures, and Design Patterns as these will be invaluable no matter what type of development you do. For instance, knowing when to use a List vs a Map/HashTable vs a Set, etc.
    3) What @DUUUDE123 said
    4) My personal preference would be a set of tutorials that at the end you have a finished game of a certain genre
    5) They are really two separate things and if you are set on doing both (vs contracting out for models and such), then there's no reason why you can learn both in parallel. There will be days when you don't even want to look at code, but messing with a new model might seem fun.

louvor likes this.
  4. Xangotrick

Xangotrick
    Expand Collapse

1) Don't waste your time with js. C# isn't the hardest language to understand, so don't be afraid to go to it directly.
    2) I think it goes down to what you want to do in the long term. If all you care about is game development, don't bother with an in depth approach to C#. But do learn the syntax properly, before jumping into unity specific stuff.
    3) I tend to say, follow tutorials at first, to understand how unity works, the very first small steps you'll make. Then, when you want to learn how to do something, try solving the problem first, and regardless of whether or not you succeed, only look at tutorials after trying. That way you can compare your better/worse solution to the tutorial/guide one, and learn more from it.
    4) Refer to my previous answer
    5) Set your goals, for every project. For your first few, those goals will be "scripting" oriented. Once you are confident you are good at unity scripting, then you can start setting more artistic goals such as learning how to model. But avoid things like, I'm going to learn how to make a randomly generated world and learn how to model and animate humans. Bite sizes are best, when it comes to learning.

Hope it helps!

And to plug one of my videos, if you want an introduction to the ui, and the basic philosophy of Unity, I have a video on that!

louvor likes this.
  5. louvor

louvor
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your answers guys. Actually after taking a look at internet i decided to quit 1 man army thing. bc there are tons of free models that are capable of using. Maybe i can make few additions to them and afterwards i use them. I really like to produce games even those i've produced following tutorials , i hope i can make my own games without help soon. thanks.