You couldn't make it up

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Desktop Gaming, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I took my site down last night following the Reflexive announcement, which is kind of incidental to this post. Anyway...

This morning I received an e-mail from Google, stating that my google ads account has been suspended for breaking the Terms and Conditions!

I've done no such thing! I haven't even run any google ads for over a year!

On further reading, the reason they have chosen to suspend my account is because I use the word "Mac" on my site, which is a trademark. How the hell else are you supposed tell people you have Mac games without using that word?

2. barrygamer

Original Member

#2 barrygamer, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I don't understand, you had your ADWORDS or your ADSENSE suspended ?

4. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I got a similar message some months ago when they suspended several ads I had running. They didn't suspend my whole AdWords account, just certain ads because of certain keywords.

But they haven't said anything about my site.

I share your frustration. Seems everybody is paranoid these days...

5. Desktop Gaming

Well, it confuses me, too.

I've only ever used adsense, but they said it was my adwords account, only I've never even used adwords (beyond setting up an account years ago to use my free voucher, only to find I have to pay them to use it, thus I didn't bother).

6. Maupin

Original Member

Yeah, I posted about this issue a few years ago, I believe. You need to get Apple's permission to create a Google ad with the word "Mac" in it. Unless Apple faxes Google explicit permission for your adwords account to use "Mac" your ad will be suspended. Complete craziness indeed. I attempted repeatedly to contact Apple for permission but never received a response. For a while I advertised "OS X Games" but eventually just gave up.

As for Desktop's account being suspended for using the word "Mac" on his site... wow. That's beyond crazy. Way to cozy up to ma and pa developers/retailers, Apple.

7. Xathia Vastar

Xathia Vastar New Member

So, you can't have the word "Mac" anywhere on the website if you're using Google Adsense? Can you put "Apple," instead?

8. potan

potan New Member

I take everything on April 1st with a grain of salt heuheuhe....

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Haha no, this is actually true (I mean, the use of the word Mac). I know because they blocked one of my ads some years ago for that reason (on adwords).

10. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

it should just relate to the ads and not your website. usually they just block your ads from going live - are you sure you aren't breaking their TOS in other ways?

11. Desktop Gaming

I don't see how when everything on my [now deceased] website came directly from GCC's XML feed.

12. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

That is strange - I have never heard of Google banning for on site content brand names. The only thing I can think of is if Apple filed some kind of complaint but I haven't heard of Apple cracking down on anyone.

13. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

Here is AdWords' help page on trademarks. Considering Google doesn't police the use of trademarks in URLs or search results, I'm surprised they would suspend your account for using trademarked terms on your website rather than the ad itself, and do so without warning.

Are you sure that's the reason they suspended your account? Are you sure the email came from Google? Have you contacted Google for clarification?

14. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Whats the website URL, maybe someone is camping your website and has a bunch of dodgy crap on it?

If you took it offline, that could be a trigger for someone to start squatting.

15. electronicStar

Original Member

The google ads banning of the macintosh name is an old problem, I'd heard of that several years ago already.

16. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

now if only to get them ban all sites with word "mac" in them and a world would be a better place to live :D