Xna for indie or irrlicht ?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by coconut76, Jun 23, 2008.

1. coconut76

Original Member

Hi to all developers,

I'm asking me what engine I could use in my next game.
    I have my own 3D engine (Dx8.0) in C++ but it is old now.
    It is time for me to update to a antoher engine with more features.
    I'm interesting by the followings :
    - Irrlicht / C++
    - XNA / C#

Why XNA ?
    Because there is a game contest with good prizes.
    But the problem of XNA is that it required a DX9 graphic card and the Framwoirk .NET to install. And I need too to migrate from C++ to C#.

I'm waiting about your mind about that.

Thanks.

2. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

With a runtime library of that size, there's no way I'll ever touch C#. Which is a shame, as it seems like a nice language.

3. jetro

Original Member

Both are fine for prototyping work.

But when thinking about deployment problems, I'd choose Irrlicht over XNA for PC platform -- no need for hairy setup stuff of both .net and xna frameworks, support for dx8/dx9/opengl, support for mac+linux as well, and so on..

However, if you like to target xbox360 (exclusively), then XNA might be ok way to go.

4. coconut76

Original Member

I'm agree with you.
    But if I make a prototype for the dreamplay contest on Xbox 360.
    Then I don't succeed in this contest and want to make only a PC version of my game, i will need reconvert my work from XNA / C# to irrlicht / C++.

My problem is how can i make a prototype that will easy to switch between these 2 engine.

5. MrPhil

Original Member

I believe this depends entirely on the target audience and type of game.

It's a bad idea for casual gamers because they have older, slower computers with weak download speeds, but hard core gamers have newer, faster computers with a strong download speed.

6. Teeth

Original Member

I use SDL.NET and Tao which I can bundle with the application (1-2 megs extra in DLLs) and then tell the installer to download .NET 2.0 if it needs to do so for this computer. XNA redist is only a few megs, though, right?

The main barrier to using XNA is getting users to install XNA redist and DirectX in the right order. In the end, worst case you need to get them to download .net 2.0, XNA redist and then update DirectX to latest 9.0c even if they already have 9.0c. It's a lot of noise, and the main reason I left the API and went with Tao/SDL. To this day many many people, even hardcore gamers, cannot get XNA apps to actually run.

7. coconut76

Original Member

Is there any way to make an easy installer with .NET 2.0 + XNA + Directx.
    What is the total size of all the package ?

Yes, i know that causal gamer have slow & old PC so it's the main problem for XNA.

8. MrPhil

Original Member

Sorry coconut76 but I have no experience. Hiro_Antagonist's game Land of Legends was done using C# and published by Shrapnel Games. He has posted a lot of insight you'll find valuable here on IndieGamer and I recommend reading through them. You'll see my name crop up a lot in his threads. I tinkered with .Net 2.0 or XNA way back, but have focused my attention on SilverLight and C++ in the last year or so.

9. Videogame Biscuit

Videogame Biscuit New Member

Definitely Irrlicht. XNA requires both the .net and XNA frameworks to be installed. XNA is fine for the XBox 360, but the required frameworks are a huge downer for the PC.