XML, Schema and namespaces

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by MrPhil, Jan 25, 2005.

1. MrPhil

Original Member

Does anyone know the relationship between namespaces and schemas? I’ve been doing some work with serializing objects to xml files and I’ve gotten myself all confused.

Is each document individually supposed to have a unique namespaces and schema?
    Or is the namespace a general thing for all my documents and the schema cover them all?
    Or unique namespaces for each object but one schema?
    Or one namespace and a unique schema for each object?

:eek: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, too many combinations!!!

I’ve looked around for a good solid grounding on the organizing concepts but can’t seem to find anything that fills my brain with answers.

2. Nemesis

Original Member

All the combinations are possible as far as I know. It really depends on the context. For instance, if you're simply serialising, say, objects from your game, you can just organise everything under one namespace for the game. Having said that, I think going into schemas and namespaces is overkill for such an application. You would typically use namespaces and schemas if you're sharing your XML documents as an "open" standard.