Xeno Assault released on Alawar!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Nexic, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Nexic

Indie Author

Hey everyone. My first decent game has finally been released by Alawar. It is a vertical space shooter with some original ideas and kickass weapons :) If anyone can spare the time I'd love to know what you think. Im planning to make a sequel so any major improvements you can think of would be a great help towards #2.

P.S the link is in my sig

2. andyb

Original Member

change the '\'s to '/'s and we might be able to follow the link ;)

3. mahlzeit

Original Member

URLs use forward slashes instead of backslashes. Clicking your link doesn't work with Firefox, for example.

4. Nexic

Indie Author

Try now ^.^

5. Martoon

Original Member

Okay, I took it for a spin. Fun game! Nice presentation, especially for a one-man effort (I'm assuming you're a solo act?).

Now for the constructive critisism. ;)

The mouse control feels really "sticky". I don't know if this is just a bug when it's running on my system, or if this is what you intended. Either way, it's pretty annoying. If I move the mouse slowly, the ship doesn't move at all. I have to move above a certain threshold of speed before it moves the ship. It feels like using an old ball-style mouse with the ball slipping on the mousepad.

The gauge along the right edge of the playing field that powers up the "flash" weapon doesn't have any kind of outline or background, so I can't tell if it's almost to the top or not (since there's no visible "top" for it to reach). I might want to let off the fire button right before it reaches the top, so I can position my ship strategically before unleashing the "flash" weapon, but there's no way to tell visually if it's almost at the top.

The weapon effects are all really pretty partical effects (and satisfying to use, I might add), but it can be difficult to tell the weapons apart. In particular, when I fire my secondary weapon, I often can't tell that something else is firing (I just see more enemies start dying). I think at least the secondary weapons should look distinctly different.

Overall, though, great game.

6. Yossarian

Original Member

was fun.. I'll second the comment about the weapon effects really rocking, certainly a fun show.

Critiques:

Maybe this is outside your "vision" on gameplay, but having at least some vertical movement would improve it IMO. Stuck to the bottom was fine, but I found myself pushing "up" a lot hoping I could get around stuff... as is you get stuck in the corner and nailed a lot (of course that could just be me sucking at these types of games :)

I'd think about cleaning up the right side graphic. Its pretty muddled and fuzzy, and while there is always the tempation to use the "System" font, I think most times you're better served with a more standard and clear font. Also, the green in the text seems like an odd color choice... have you tried red in there? Lots of red in the backgrounds and ships, so red for your text might serve you better than the monochrome monitor green.

Martoon was correct on the special wep meter. It should probably be in a box, and maybe use more square meter lines (current ones seem a little chessy), and maybe continue to have the meter flash (not in yellow :) when it is charged. Also, there is lots of wasted space on the right side score area anyway, so why not put the meter in there?

I thought the red aiming line, while helpful, was a bit distracting, and might actually make the game more fun if you don't have an aiming aid.

Mouse movement is definately sloppy.

Definately a fun little game though, and I could see myself wasting time at lunch blasting away at work on it. The screen shakes are a nice touch when stuff blows, makes the sound and explosion feel "heavier".

7. Nexic

Indie Author

Appart from buying the music and a couple of the 3D models it was a all me :)

Im quite worried about the mouse problems you both mentioned, I cannot replicate it on my machine and it wasn't bought up by the Alawar betatesters. Can you tell me what machine specs you have and did you notice the same stickyness on the keyboard and joystick controls aswell?

Thanks for the comments you lovely bunch of people :D

8. Martoon

Original Member

I agree with pretty much everything Yossarian said, with the exception of a couple points: 1. I kind of like the red aiming line, but I could see that it might make things a little too easy. Maybe it could be a temporary powerup you could get sometimes. 2. I found the screen shaking every time I killed something a little distracting (there was just a little too much of it). Maybe if it only happened when you made a big kill (a bigger enemy, or when you killed several enemies all at once or in quick succession).

The control problems only happen with the mouse. The joystick and keyboard work fine. It almost feels like the mouse is being mapped through a joystick handler, with a deadzone defined (if I'm only moving the mouse slightly, it just considers it not moving at all). The mouse pointer works fine in the menus, it's just the way it controls the ship in the game.

I'm running an AMD XP 1800 CPU, Win2k Pro, DirectX 9.0c, and my mouse is a Microsoft optical USB. Let me know if you want any other specs. I've got a WinXP laptop I'll try it on later if I get a chance.

9. Nexic

Indie Author

Video Card? Also what resolution were you running the game in? If its not 640x480 can you try that and see what happens?

10. Martoon

Original Member

Video card is GeForce 4 Ti 4400. Tried it in 640 x 480, with no difference.

I tried setting the mouse speed in options to both Low and Very High (the two extremes), but the mouse control of the ship still exhibits the "dead zone" behaviour.

11. Nexic

Indie Author

Well, there used to have to move the mouse at least 5 pixels in either direction for it to register but i've changed that to 1 pixel. Though the 5 pixel amount never seemed to make any difference to me or the testers but I hope now the problem is sorted :)