Xarelok (work in progress)

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by D0MINIK, Mar 3, 2010.

1. D0MINIK

D0MINIK New Member

Doesn't matter, we are honestly happy about any point of view!
    Thx ;)

2. desmasic

Original Member

Looks good, nice darkness you got there. :p

Seriously though, needs adjustments here and there. Way too dark for a fast paced shooter (it is, right?). I don't like to die in games because designers didn't bother illuminating the level properly. Not to mention I find the placement of lights unrealistic (but such placement is common even in AAA games so meh!).

Oh and the levels are way too clean and empty.

Models are fine and overall look reminds me of Quake 2 a bit as well (which is a good thing, still consider it to be one of the best shooter around).. only darker and with more colours.

PS: I clicked on the screenshots hoping for a bigger and better view only to have some kind of flash thingy loading at homepage. That means immediate Ctrl+W for me (just want a large screenshot, not a link to homepage.. which is right there at the end of the post anyway).

3. D0MINIK

D0MINIK New Member

The global brightness may be changed later on. Additionally, you will be able to adjust it yourself in-game if needed.

Our website has a gallery (link in menu first line, you can't overlook it) with higher resolution. That's why we linked the images to our site ;)

4. ionside

ionside New Member

Hi! I'd just like to comment on the textures. I'm finding the walls and ceiling maps a little repetitive in your screenshots. Have you thought about adding things like skirting and pipelines, grunge in the corners to break it up a bit?
    Perhaps some uneven surfaces like debri in the corners between the walls and floor.

You could also mix the colour of the lighting. Imagine white fluro lighting bouncing off a brown wall. You could fake with some minor brown lights to help break up the repetitiveness, for example. Actually, you'll probably find lights have a more yellow or blue hue to them.

You've kind of done this with the blue light in some of the screenshots, but try pushing it further.
    Mixing opposite colours of the spectrum can offer more dramatic results.

Keep at it and all the best on your project!

5. D0MINIK

D0MINIK New Member

Thanks a lot for your advise! :)

These wall, floor and ceiling textures are the things we've done in the very beginning of the project. I admit they may be a bit plain, and we might indeed add some variations and detail to them once we find the time. So far, we've planned to add a few detail entities in here and there, like debris, is a good idea. :)

We've found really heavy light variation may look good for single scenes (=screenshots), but it's hard to have the lighting look good over a whole level that way. But we'll consider that as well later on.

6. desmasic

Original Member

It is really not the same thing as proper level lighting. Adjusting brightness/gamma in-game usually gives the player washed out look (not to mention if you calibrate your monitor, you don't have to adjust the gamma anyway) and again, won't give the right result.

Anyways, lighting a level is PITA, you really have to leave it till end to tweak it all over (from my experience at least). Good luck.

7. D0MINIK

D0MINIK New Member

Update: Core Feature

[​IMG]
    Core Feature

Xarelok will be a straight direct-to-the-action shooter. However, we could not resist to add in a little tweak that makes a huge change to the gaming experience, and which has grown to become one of the core features of Xarelok: Downloadable weapons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Background Story

The Worrajug Empire has become the most dominant human force in a whole galaxy because of a high-tech-revolution: Weapon Servers. With the possibility to upload physical weapons to central servers, and this way, making the weapons available for download from planets spread all over the galaxy, the Worrajug scientists have created a most important military advantage for their faction. In just a few years, Worrajug became the Empire it is today, highly efficient in transporting weapons, and well equipped within literally seconds wherever needed.

Gameplay

For the gameplay of Xarelok, this means you will come across small metal Download Pads here and there. These can be controlled by accessing a nearby Weapon Download Console. Depending on your nearest gateway, you can choose from an arsenal of up to five highly different weapons to bring directly to your battlefield. Or you can choose additional body armor for a longer life. Which adds in the chance to make important strategic decisions on your way through the game, and increases the replay value.

This result of massive scriptwork is, however, not a true download feature, to make that point clear! All downloads you can access in-game are fully fictional, and do not require an internet connecion.

We hope you like this fresh idea.

Links
    http://www.dhk-games.bplaced.net/
    http://dhkgames.freeforums.org/
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/xarelok
    http://www.twitter.com/dhkgames

8. desmasic

Original Member

So are you fighting Jughead's? Also, how exactly does transporting weapons make them a powerful "empire". I mean, won't they need permission from different planets to setup their servers to start dominating? Why would they let them setup servers anyway?

While we're at it, what happens when the connection breaks? Soldiers who are stuck at 90% are left with half of the weapon in the middle of the battlefield? I mean, all it will take is a EMP blast to shut down the servers or the computers being used to transfer files in the battlefield.

PS: Who else is out there in the galaxy (we will fight aliens?) and how come different nations on the earth let this dangerous (well it sounds like one if it's "Empire") empire come into existence anyway? Even if they are friendly, there is no way in hell they would be allowed to become a empire in a few years.

PPS: I am nitpicking. :p

9. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Like others here, your screenshots remind me of Quake 2 aswell. That's not a criticism at all, just an observation. :)

If I'm to make some criticisms, these are the thoughts I have when I look at the screenshots:

- Some of the models look too simple. The polygon count looks too low in places. The stacks of tyres for example. The walls also look very square. Consider subdividing the mesh and adding a little noise.

- Your lighting has less 'mood' than the lighting in quake 2. It almost looks too ambient, or maybe the fall off from the lights is too slow? I think this only emphasizes the squareness of the walls and every other piece of geometry. Consider putting lights only around points of interest, and then missing the odd one out, perhaps making 1/6 of the scene well lit, 1/2 of the scene with an ambient feel, and 1/3 of the scene in relative shade/darkness.

That said, I've never been much of a fan of FPS games, so I'm not the best person to give advice. The only ones I've played are the ones my brother owned: doom2, quake, quake 2, and half life, iirc.

If graphics are not going to be cutting edge, then consider adding something different to gameplay, beyond a straight forward FPS. eg, a bonus of finding 5 special objects in each level. These could be randomly placed, so it's different each time you play. The bonus may give you a permanent upgrade of some kind, or might be a key for unlocking a secret level / side mission.

#69 Jasmine, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  10. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

The FPS genre is a tough one... most players including myself are looking for sick graphics similar to what can be found on the AAA Xbox 360 titles and this game does seem Quake 2ish in comparison. With that being said, I've been following the progress since your original thread post and you have greatly improved the game so keep up the good work! :)

11. princec

Indie Author

I love Q2 graphics. I'd buy a game with that level of quality even today.

Cas :)

12. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

...says the person who makes games with modernized 8-bit graphics :D

j/k of course... I think the graphics in Titan and Droid are awesome!

13. princec

Indie Author

I'd love to do a retro FPS. Sort of Doom style. But in proper 3D, if you see what I mean.

14. Bad Sector

Original Member

I like Q2 (or even Q1)-level graphics too and i would buy a game with that level of quality, as long as it plays like a pure hardcore FPS (say whatever you want, with the exception of two or three games ,modern FPS games do not feel like they used to -- what was the last time you played a game like ROTT for example :).

Of course, making stuff that looks like this i'm a bit biased :p. But it isn't like i'm making something i don't like.

15. princec

Indie Author

It looks like you're making exactly that game :) Please fill it with relatively low poly monsters.

Lots of them.

16. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

-deleted / off topic-

#76 Jasmine, Oct 7, 2010
  17. D0MINIK

D0MINIK New Member

Ehem.... sorry, but ... offtopic? :rolleyes:

@desmasic
    About the story... you wouldn't, at the most exciting point of the movie, stand up in the movie theater and shout "Well.... THIS is unrealistic!" ?? :p

You have to belieeeeve! :eek:

The lighting is a point we got many, many different oppinions about. We'll probably take a look at it at a later point. Thanks for your advice!

#77 D0MINIK, Oct 7, 2010
  18. fakhir

fakhir New Member

Pretty cool !!! Did you make it from scratch or used any game engine?

How long did it take you to make this till it was playable?

-Fakhir
    http://www.byterender.com

19. D0MINIK

D0MINIK New Member

We are using the simple FPSC engine, but with a source code modification. Although it is technically possible to play and test the current alpha version, you wouldn't even want to play it yet :)

20. D0MINIK

D0MINIK New Member

Update: Character Biography

[​IMG]
    Character Biography

As important as textures, models and shaders are the story elements of a game. One element of these are the game characters. For that reason, we've begun to work out sharper biographies for the characters we will be introducing in Xarelok, and we've begun with the rebel leader Colonel Nall'Ly. In addition to some basic data, we will be presenting each of our characters with even a full short story that tells how they came to Gor Rugi, why they are there, and what they are fighting for.

The sunset of Gor Rugi has always been something special for Nall'Ly. Much different than the sunset on Thal, where he was born. It was so... bright, so burning. Rage, war and peace, there seemed to be parts of all of these three at once in it. This golden scene always reminded him of who he was. And that he would not stay here. On Gor Rugi. Where he could not watch this scene too oftenly, the Guards wouldn't let him.

He thought about the times when he had a better life. Back in those days when the Worrajug Empire wasn't that strong yet. He and some companions served for the Worrajugs, and his talent for strategy and melee fights allowed him to quickly climb the coroporate ladder. Everything went fine, although he did not always follow the rules. His friends gave him cover in this point whenever needed, and could never complain about a bad connection to the girls. However, this did not help the day something went wrong...

[​IMG]

Read the full story here.

We hope you find it entertaining, and we'd be happy about comments and critics.

Links
    http://www.dhk-games.bplaced.net/
    http://dhkgames.freeforums.org/
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/xarelok
    http://www.twitter.com/dhkgames