Xarelok (work in progress)

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by D0MINIK, Mar 3, 2010.

1. D0MINIK

D0MINIK New Member

Explore the dark world of the deep space mining colony Gor Rugi: Forced to work for the government and permanently kept under control, the deep space miners are growing in their anger against the oppressive forces. And joining a small group of militarily well trained rebels, you will blast your way out of the mines and escape from the war-torn galaxy sector belonging to the Worrajug Empire.

Built upon the FPSC Engine, supported by a source code modification, this game is out to get technically the max out of its engine, with good environments, high quality textures, vast scripting work, 3D Particle Effects, custom animations and AI, all merged to a fast-paced action gameplay on a fluent, stable framerate. Fight your way through large, detailed levels, and defend your life against enemies who will take advantage of their whole arsenal against you, from small handhelt blaster weapon up to the deadly sniper rifle.

[​IMG]

dhk Games is announcing a Sci-Fi Singleplayer First Person Shooter: Xarelok. We've started this indie game project back in November 2009, and we'll keep busily working on this stand-alone action entertainment in our sparetime.

The Mines of Gor Rugi

What we're releasing and going to show you today is our environment concept for the Mines of Gor Rugi. This is the place where the campaign will start. We hope to be able to convince you we're doing high quality texture work and creating a thought-out world design with these shots. They are taken from a conceptional level which will not be in the final game. It was previously meant to be a multiplayer map, but as multiplayer mode is no longer planned for the game, it's left for demonstration only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the rather open map design for the fast multiplayer matches it was once meant for. Especially as it was designed as a duel map, it was highly important to us to provide only limited and easy to remember cover points (although they're there). But in the end we decided not to create a multiplayer mode and concentrate on a deep story singleplayer campaign. Xarelok will, however, feature further game modes in addition to the campaign.

Will it be worth playing?

That's what you will finally have to judge when it's out, of course. Whenever that will be. We're doing our best to create an entertaining game with a straight-action character. Reviewing and testing any part of our work over and over during all development stages is something we're really serious about. We hope you'll be tracking us, visit our website and don't forget to participate with comments and constructive feedback.

Links

dhk Games
    Gallery

---

With this announcement as motivation for my first post on this forum, I would like to say 'hello' to the community... well... "Hello Community"... :)

#1 D0MINIK, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. Spore Man

Indie Author

Too dark. Your second screenshot is almost 95% blackness on my monitor.

3. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It's too dark, granted, but your monitor is out.

Hello :)

Really? From my perspective it looks quite dated. For example, when most gamers these days hear things like,

They think back to Just Cause 2. When I look at your images, I think back to Quake 2. Obviously that's an extreme example with Xarelok being an indie game, but are you aware of how dated it looks?

4. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

mostly black on my monitor too -- not all of us keep brightness at maximum :)

5. Reactor

My monitor is hardware calibrated ;)

6. electronicStar

Original Member

Yeah it's dark but I'm sure it's not so much a problem when in fullscreen. As opposed to seing them on these forums where the background is very bright.

7. lennard

How about a game play video that gives the user the claustrophobic feeling that these screenshots hint at?

I don't play fps but, to a casual observer, the thing I would want to know is what makes this game different? I suspect you have an answer in that text block that I skimmed but if I was producing this I would be shooting to follow up with a game play video that feels new and compelling.

8. Cevo70

Cevo70 New Member

I couldn't help but think "another space marine FPS attempt" - no offense. It's just that the competition is a little steep. Despite buying a good number of indie games, I get my FPS/3PS fix with the Borderlands, Bioshocks, Halos, Mass Effects, Dead Spaces, Gears of War etc of the mainstream. They pretty cover all apsects of awesomeness, especially graphically. What are you bringing to the table that's compelling?

9. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

Your game does not look as good as you think it does, you shouldn't be throwing around phrases about high quality graphics and such, especially in a friggin indie title ;)

10. Applewood

I think you're all being rather cruel. Jesus, this is a first!

Asking how this compares and extends the experience from bioshock and mass effect is surely taking the piss isn't it? The average indie game doesn't extend anything to anything - maybe snake with specular highlighted segments!

At least this game has some decent 3D in it. That in itself makes it pretty rare in the indie space and I won't accept anyone criticising it who doesn't even know how to spin a cube.

But it's all about the gameplay right? So wait until you see some before tearing this guy a new one. This announcement screenshot is leaps and bounds more interesting than the usual "here's my puzzle game".

I usually open up in hatchet swinging mode when someone posts a badly drawn 2D game as both good graphics and good gameplay are required. This game has got good graphics for an indie and it might well have some good gamplay later on.

I might buy it if it's any good, as I prefer Quake 2 over Quake 3 and both over all the new stuff. I like a frame rate and no bullshit in my multiplayer killfests. This may or may not supply that, but I'll give it a shot.

And hello to you too. Good luck with your first game - you're making a good start.

EDIT: Just caught this bit:

That is a big mistake.

11. Bad Sector

Original Member

The shots look ok, although a bit dark.

@everybody:
    He said
    which isn't equal to being technically superior to anything out there. FPS Creator is very badly coded, but it has a very easy editor to work with (you're basically arranging cubes in a 3D tile-editor manner). On the other hand, its hard to not create boxy environments and the shots are boxy enough :).

But anyway.

I'll agree with Applewood on the design parts. And i prefer Quake 1 over Quake 2 over Quake 3 and all of them over the newer stuff :D. Its a gameplay thing, not a graphics one. Besides, disregarding a shooter set in space (is this one set in space?) as overdone is like disregarding a puzzle where you have to match items (or "adventure" where you have to notice objects :) as overdone.

Here is my proposition for a gameplay twist: don't twist it. Modern shooters are twisted so much, they bleed all over the place.

12. desmasic

Original Member

Isn't FPSC DX10 only (new one)?

The shots (when I increased the image gamma a bit..) kinda remind me of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R's underground levels.. only darker and without the parallax magic on surfaces (could be the darkness hiding details though).

Anyways, what I wanted to say is that I read a lot of comments recently describing STALKER: Call of Pripyat's graphics as average/dated even in reviews, forget players. So yeah, people will always complain about graphics for all Indie/AAA games no matter what. In the end, the gameplay will be the winner... and that's where COP makes the critics shut up and just have fun.

Good luck with this game, keep posting updates (I like such projects). :)

13. Bad Sector

Original Member

It looks like FPSC9 from the shots.

I just visited the site. Well, i think you could at least make a more professional looking site in a paid hosted (no ads) :p. But anyway, i suppose you should focus on finishing the game first.

I saw some more shots at the gallery (please make it not move around!). Unfortunately, it has this boxy look of FPSC9. However that isn't the problem actually. As long as you add detail around, the boxy look won't matter much. You should check a site such as World of Level Design to pick some tips for making levels. The people there use more advanced (and less constrained) tools, but some tips are valid for FPS Creator too :).

Something very noticeable is that you use the same wall texture everywhere. I understand that making textures isn't an easy job to do (although after buying a book about it and converting the process to GIMP, personally i find it at least interesting, although i would like to automate some parts a bit once GIMP 2.8 is out). However try to break the monotonous look a bit. Just using a slightly different texture for the walls of different floors will make it look more rich.

Although the basic idea is to add variety and randomness. It doesn't have to be textures (although they cover more area). You can use decals, static meshes, effects (particles, etc), even different lighting.

14. D0MINIK

D0MINIK New Member

Whoah, lots of feedback in short time!
    First of all, thanks to all of you for that :)

Ok, there seems to be a big misunderstanding, when people read "high quality textures" they think of "latest graphics". That's a different story. But possibly something that I should have thought about. To say it clearly: I didn't mean to create the illusion this game will be able to compete with today's industry standard productions. No offense, I believe comparing indie games to Mass Effect, Bioshock or Gears of War, which are all multiple million dollar productions, to a 3-men-hobby group production will never make a good match ;)

Anyway, I understand the feedback that the screenies are not exactly outstanding. They were meant show a visual concept as very early work in progress shots, but was also not that clear possibly. The game description might be re-written when we can judge the game better later in progress. It's helpful to hear it might be too bold or misleading.

Hm, I might brighten upcoming screenshots up a bit to make sure everyone can view them... on the other hand, then people with bright monitor settings (like me^^) will have less quality. Bit confused :eek:

In short: Yes. But without the released engine source code, the DirectX10 engine is of rather bad quality as you cannot change anything hard-coded. Anyway, we're working on DirectX9 for that reason.

Thanks, yes, we'll keep an eye on that! Here, we meant to save a 100% wealthy framerate ;)

@Applewood
    Ok, we might have another look on multiplayer lateron. But in my view, it's better to have some good action against only bots than a not-convincing multiplayer mode against players.

Thanks again for the feedback although I'm not answering everyone in detail! We'll keep you up-to-date!

15. Cevo70

Cevo70 New Member

Yep, probably a bit harsh. Looks quite nice for a small project. I think I had my biz hat on and just worry about any game that takes a 6 year graphical step backwards in a genre full of the biggest budget games and highest expectations. Not sure why I feel that way about FPSs and not other genres.

16. Asvarduil

Asvarduil New Member

Very nice look for a small project, but it falls short of "the" modern FPS look in a couple of ways:

1: Texture Scale
    Your object textures - the crates, barrels, etc. - look really believable. Your floor, however has a few no-nos on the texture though. First, it's obvious that the texture tile is scaled to the floor differently than the texture of the objects - with the result that your floor looks ugly and dated, while your objects look good and new, breaking the scene's believability.

I suggest remedying this by approaching your game's texture artist and removing the tiling artifacts, and possibly doubling or quadrupling the resolution of the texture to better-match your objects.

2: Lighting
    You seem to have a GREAT shadow renderer/baked shadows and nice dust effects, judging by the halo in the first screenshot. As other posters have mentioned, especially in the second screenshot, it's difficult to see a whole lot. In a single-player campaign mode for Doom or Quake, this isn't so bad, as you can use that to achieve that scary feel. However, if you're going for multiplayer (often the goal of a FPS), this will just make players/ammunition difficult to notice.

I would suggest increasing the lighting slightly - while I'm not working on a project of this ilk, a rule of thumb I personally take to is that if two out of ten people viewing my screenshots mention having had to modify their monitor settings, I need to change how my scenes' lighting works. Additionally, you may want to consider optimizing the renderer's histogram, but that's if you really want to go down a far path.

Other than that, your game appears pretty nice! I certainly wish you luck, and congratulations on a great start to a industry-quality game.

17. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I think the game looks fine. As Applewood said, it's very impressive for an indie! If the game adds some good, original gameplay that the AAA games don't have, then I'd say it will probably find a good audience.

But then, what do I know? My games all use 2D cartoon graphics that look 15 years old... :p

18. Bad Sector

Original Member

Every time i see this thread bumped, i wonder if there is anything new. So here is a hint:

- make a blog about the game's development :).

Also here is another hint that i just came up with:

- make those barrels to explode when you shoot them (most FPSC games have very static environments, try to not do this) like in Doom. I like shooting barrels, especially when they make others explode :p.

19. D0MINIK

D0MINIK New Member

Thanks for the good wishes, and the suggestions!

Nice idea, will probably be done in some way.

A blog additionally to our website news section (which is more or less in blog style) and our RSS Feed appears, however, a bit much to me. ;)

20. D0MINIK

D0MINIK New Member

Update

Update: Hi-Speed Gameplay

The overall quality of a game is sometimes hard to reach, and this being said, we're especially proud to announce we've established a framerate boost that will shoot the gameplay to the next generation level. Although, compared to our previous screenshots, the visual quality had to be lowered just slightly, we were able to reach an average framerate of 296 frames per second! This is an enormous step forward, as on the highest quality (shown in our previous march news post), we only reached average 14 fps.

The Basic Idea
    The idea is simple as brilliant: We found out that not the lights themselves, but our artificial light sources were the framerate killers. So what we basically did was removing all light sources from our map, and keeping the lights themselves intact. That already gave us a nice framerate of 112 fps. Not enough with that, we wanted more: Reducing the texture quality by the factor 6, we could establish an outstanding framerate of even 302 fps at maximum. This is more than most industry games have as there are mostly limited framerates used in those productions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Fastest Gameplay Ever
    We will not integrate such an fps limitation, but keep the best framerate you can imagine for you to experience: For the first time you cannot even follow your own, fast actions with your eyes in a game because the game runs about 12 times as fast as usual shooters do!! This may mean the gameplay will be rather addressed to pro players, but nevertheless, if you train hard, you will probably get used to the game speed and may be able to get some frags here or there.

EDIT: We'd like to wish you all a happy april fools' day along with this news post :p

#20 D0MINIK, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010