wxPython

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by ggambett, Feb 9, 2005.

1. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Short story : use wxPython for your cross platform tools, it's awesome!

Long story : our current character animation pipeline, how to say this, could use some optimization. So, to simplify some of the steps, I decided to write an animation editor for our own use, with the specific features we need.

Artist uses Windows and I use Linux, so the choice was obvious : wxWidgets. Also, for ease of use and speed of development, I chose the Python wrapper, wxPython.

I can't explain how pleased I am with wxPython. 2 days and a half, and 1400 lines of code later, I have an amazingly functional animation editor written from scratch.

Chalk up another one for Python and one for wxWidgets!

2. illume

Original Member

That's pretty cool!

As a bonus it should work on macs too. Artists love the macs :)

Have you tried using the gimp for animation? That is the route we are using now. A number of shell scripts, and python gimp scripts to convert, crop and manipulate things.

My ultimate goal for the animation pipeline would be to have the game running, and be able to see the changes to the animation as they are changed in the animation editor/s.

Shouldn't be too hard. Just get the game to watch a directory for changes to files, then reload the animation once there are changes. Using mount points, you should be able to do this over multiple machines too. Or you could use xmlrpc/pyro to give the game the latest animations.

3. ggambett

No, no, I have a lot of scripts to convert, crop, and manipulate the images. But after that, I have to describe the animations in a text file. Nothing complicated, but it takes time, and it's error prone. What this tool does is letting someone edit the animations visually. It's not a paint program.

4. 20thCenturyBoy

Original Member

<flame>
    Why bother? Java does it all in one package! :D
    </flame>

5. Musenik

Original Member

20C-boy,

That sounded more like a 'flame out'. Extinguished by it's own non-distinguished-ness.

thanks for playing!

6. Coyote

Indie Author

Because Python >> Java :D :D :D

I played with WxPython a bit at my last job, and was REALLY impressed with how quick and easy it was to put an app together with full controls.

I think VB.NET might be a little easier, but that's mainly because of the extensive tools that come with Visual Studio. And then you can only run on windows machines with .NET enabled.

7. willm

Original Member

I'd like to jump in with a 'me too' post ;)

wxPython is excellent, and Python in general is a superb language. I'd do all of my development in it, if I could. I recently wrote a web server that displayed a form with a text box, and sent the text to a speech synthesiser in my living room. Just for the heck of it. 20 lines. I kid ye not! :D

8. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I have used wxWidgets at work and love it. I will absolutely be using this exclusively for any Windows apps I need to build at home. I haven't used wxPython yet, but I love Python, so it sounds like the best of both worlds. :)

9. beenThereDoneThat

Original Member

For those of you using or looking into wxPython, the following free editors/IDEs have visual designers for this library:

---------------------------------

SPE - includes wxGlade . Here is a screenshot . And another . SPE is a pretty kick-ass Python IDE with a class explorer, UML, and very cool Blender support.

VisualWX - This is relatively new, so I haven't had a chance to try it out. Still, it looks quite nice and it prodcues code for c++,python,perl,ruby and lua.

10. Vorax

Original Member

With 1400 lines of Java you can practically have a game ready for market ;) Seriously though, check out the Java 4K games contest. Games in less then 4096 bytes, not production quality, but their average lines of code is 500 or less and the 4096 is including any data files they have to load.

Not knocking Python though, its a great language.

11. ggambett

That kind of contests are quite fun but don't prove anything. I wrote a 2 KB raytracer in C not long ago, with sub-pixel accuracy, shadows, reflection and diffuse lighting. What does it prove? That C is compact? That raytracers are simple? I guess it only proves I had too much time in my hands :)

12. Vorax

Original Member

I didn't mean the code was 4K, i meant the download was <=4K for the executable .jar (or webstart launching jar) and data files.

There is a real-time raytracing game written by a lady name Lillian for the contest as well, but it isn't up on that list yet (as well as alot of other not there). I think she did an amazing job. It's actually playable and kinda neat. There are several that will be in the final that are mind blowing for 4k.

Your right though...they all have to much time on their hands! :)

Disclarimer: No I am nothing to do with this contest. I am just an impressed by-stander.

#12 Vorax, Feb 12, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  13. Triple_Fox

Original Member

Personally, I've never written a GUI app that needs more than TKinter so I haven't tried Wxpython yet ;)

14. beenThereDoneThat

Original Member

There's also this framework which apparently dynamically turns XML and CSS into wxPython code... interesting:

TechGame Python Framework

15. Og!

Og!
    Original Member

wxPython is awesome for custom dev tool needs and awesome for stuff where you want to programatically set layout of a window.

...It's near impossible to make it look pretty or professional tho