Would you buy a game that installed via Java Webstart?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by elias4444, Oct 5, 2009.

1. princec

Indie Author

I use Webstart for Linux installations :) A situation I think I ought to change, except for the fact that I don't know anything about installers for Linux and I don't want to have to arse around in another OS to make the Linux deployments.

Cas :)

2. Imphenzia

Imphenzia New Member

Yes, I would imagine they do - but as I didn't even know what WebStart was before reading this thread I would have _suspected_ that it might not end up in add/remove programs would be enough to deter me from giving it a go.

3. dewitters

Original Member

I tried your demo in Linux. It might not be the conventional way of installing/running things in Linux, but it took me 5 min to figure out how to get things going, so it's not a mayor issue in my opinion (most Linux users are tech-savvy anyway). Commercial installers in Linux is still a big issue. For Open Source Software they have great package handling (even better than other OSes), but for commercial software it's still a bit of a problem.