Work'n the GDC, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Musenik, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Musenik

Original Member

I just received confirmation that I will be a conference associate. Who else on the forum will be working the convention as a volunteer? Let's meet up at the Sunday night banquet.

2. Corvus

Corvus New Member

I'll be there as a Conference Associate as well. Looking forward to it!

3. TimS

Original Member

Yep I'll be back again as well. Good times. Anyone using the shared CA housing option?

We should get pictures of ourselves up here prior to the conference so we can recognize our fellow indiegamer members... (I don't know what everyone looks like!)

-Tim

4. GBGames

Indie Author

Well, I've dropped the ball. I'll need to start looking into it to find out if I can do anything to get to GDC this year. The end of January is kind of late, right?

5. Matthew

Indie Author

It's too late to apply as a CA, yeah. The early registration discount for straight buying a pass ends tomorrow, though; the Independent Games Summit pass is pretty reasonably priced.

I think this is the first year that our hotel pool is completely CA-less. Steve and I are speaking at the IGS, one of our friends nabbed an IGDA scholarship, and everyone else is paying or having their company pay. This year is going to be hectic with the increased amount of attendees, so I can't say I'll completely miss it ;)

6. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

You have one more day before the prices go up. Buy them today or tomorrow to get the cheap prices.

7. SteveZ

Indie Author

The due date is actually today, tomorrow is the new and higher price. Since the GDC is based in SF, the timezone could be counted as PST (More time for some last minute procrastinators :) )

One thing I'm still debating is if the Casual Games Summit is worth more than the 300 lectures available, as only the Giga Pass covers both and that costs a boatload of money.

-Steve Z.

8. mpolzin

mpolzin New Member

I'm not working at it, but I am going and will be in town by mid-afternoon if anyone wanted to get together, talk, have a few drinks, what ever!

Mike

9. GBGames

Indie Author

Ok, I knew that the passes were expensive, but now that I am seriously considering paying for a pass for myself, YOWZA!

It looks like the Indie Games Summit Expo Pass is for me. I would love to be able to go to the tutorials, though. B-(

10. GBGames

Indie Author

Well, since I am getting the Indie pass, and the non-discounted price isn't that much more, I have some time to figure out how I can afford the pass, the airfare, AND the hotel for a week.

Of course, it would be much more manageable if the hotel room was shared. Anyone still looking for a roommate to help offload the costs?

11. impossible

Original Member

Looks like I might actually not be going. Didn't get the CA position and due to some unfortuanate procrastination on buying a pass I can't get in the indie summit either (the passes are sold out. wtf!!!???) At this point I'm not sure if its worth it just to get a classic, expo or tutorials and not be able to go to the indie summit. It was the thing I was looking forward to the most this year :(.

12. GBGames

Indie Author

Just now, I also found that the passes are sold out. I agree with your "wtf".

And I also don't know if it would be worth going if I can't go to the indie summit. It would be one thing to shell out the money for the hotel and airfare if I had something to go to. I mean, GDC sounds fun and all, but if I can't go to the indie summit, I'm not sure what I would be doing.

13. impossible

Original Member

Looks like I'm gonna get a classic after all. I'll have to find some alternative ways to get into the indie summit sessions, but I have a feeling I'll still be there :).

14. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I just now finalized my plans, I'll be there Monday-Thursday. I imagine I'll run into a lot of you at the indie summit. Looks to be a good conference this year :cool:

Oh, as an aside I got a hotel room with two double beds, it's about 3 blocks from the moscone center sort of in the no mans land between the financial district and the tenderloin district. For those unfamiliar with the area this means that there may be some fairly full time homeless types and other street people in the area. The plus side is that it's only 100 bucks a night and about 5 min walk from the conference. So if any non serial killers :)D) would like to room for those nights there's an extra bed in my room and split down the middle it would cost $50 a night.

#14 Dan MacDonald, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  15. TimS

Original Member

I'll be at the indie summit... probably as the guy in the black hat and the bright green shirt that you have to show your badge to before getting in the door... :D

Weeeeeee!

So excited I'm gonna asplode.

-Tim

16. impossible

Original Member

Wouldn't be too much of a problem if you uh... made a minor mistake while checking badges, would it? :)

17. princec

Indie Author

Watch out for the Casual Games Technology Face Off event, you'll find Puppygames there, but not in person...

Cas :)