Work From Home Web Sites

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Yuriy O, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Yuriy O

Original Member

Hey guys. Look at this

http://sp.quicklister.com/Co-Operative.htm?sid=573&myad=1

This link was on gamedev.net :)

What's all these websites about ? Always with some expensive cars in front and happy looking people? You can make buch of money..etc

Is this all some bullshit as usual? Anyone ever looked into what it really is?

2. EpicBoy

Original Member

He beats around the bush for the entire page, the annoying sound clip talks about nothing specific and you have to CALL to get more information.

Scam.

3. Bluecat

Original Member

I've seen a few advertised on TV.

For a laugh one night, I went to one of the sites and signed up with a temp email address. Never heard back.

My guess is that they are a spamming scheme where the person who signs up, basically becomes a spammer.

cheers

John

4. Aldacron

Original Member

These sort of things have been around for a while. There are various MLM (Multi-Level Marketing) programs out there, which are the evolution of the old pyramid schemes that were around in the 80s. The potential to make serious cash does exist, there's no doubt. But the potential to lose is much greater. And unfortunately, these systems are built around spam.

Most of the people who participate are average Joes looking for a quick buck. They read through a wealth of 'online marketing' material, enlist in co-op programs where they get, and exhange, lists of email addies with other 'marketers' and send out their messages. To most of them, they don't even realize they are spamming. The funny thing is, a large number of the addies they get are those of people doing the same thing (though perhaps in a different program). So active marketers actually get 100s of spam emails every day. And I mean 100s.

A few years back I had a friend who was involved in something called Six Figure Income for about a year. At the end of the year, he had spent close to $1000, recruited a few hundred people who never paid for a membership (meaning no residual income for him), sold nothing (meaning no one time commissions) and was getting 800+ spam emails a day (for several different MLM programs - including the one he was already a member of) as a result of all of the free (and paid) online marketing tools/coop programs he had signed up for to help him market. Suffice it to say he has a new email address now. Unfortunately, he's still got hopes to get-rich-quick and in the 5 or 6 years since he has been involved in several offline MLMs. His most recent venture involves selling a product from Polynesia called Noni. And he's still not rich.

I guess these programs persist because people like my friend wll always get into them looking for that quick windfall.

5. EpicBoy

Original Member

It's like the guy on TV who wants to sell you his "How To Become Wealthy" book for $39.95.

You want to know how to really get wealthy? Go on TV and sell a book to suckers for $39.95.

#5 EpicBoy, Aug 16, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  6. Bluecat

Original Member

Lol. Or the crazy guy who tells you how to get all those government grants.

But you are right. Most of these things are just scams.

It's interesting if you watch the news and see the segments about how some middle class family lost all their money to some conman. It's all, how evil this conman is, but when you look at it, nine times out of ten the family was lured by the promise of easy money.

When people stop believing that you can get something for (almost) nothing, these sorts of scams will disappear.

cheers

John

7. Jim Buck

Indie Author

In other words, they will be here until the end of time. :)

8. Bluecat

Original Member

You got it in one! :D

9. Yuriy O

Original Member

Yes. Scam scam scam :D

You are right, guys.
    The only money they get is if someone buys "information" package.
    ha-ha.

10. papillon

Indie Author

... you could always work from home as a telephone psychic!