WIP: the little crane that could

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Bram, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

Hi,

I wrote a crane simulation game for ipad/iphone, and I am currently in the finishing stages. Let me know what you think of the concept. I still have some doubts about difficulty, as controlling so many joints of a complex machine is hardly a 'casual game'. A simulator like this is a good match with iPad though, because of the multitouch. It would be hard to control a crane with a mouse. What do you guys think. Is there a market for this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gameplay videos are at:
    http://www.stolk.org/movies/tlctc/

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think it's gonna suck ass, sorry. Please don't shoot the messenger because I have some real insight for you.

Whilst I was at Stainless Software we coded this exact game - it even looked very similar to your pics, but I guess that's kinda inevitable. It was tried on some unsuspecting evaluators and basically every single one of them said there's nothing we could do to make the game fun. And they were right.

This is a classic case of where "real" physics in a game makes it more frustrating than not having it. And taking it out leaves you with very little.

3. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

Thanks, valuable feed back indeed.
    Some food for thought.
    I was halfway suspecting that I was making a game that I want to play, and not necessary a game that gamers want to play.

Bram

4. Applewood

Probably still worth finishing it. The quality looks to be coming in which already puts it ahead of a large percentage of phone apps.

5. flavio

flavio New Member

I agree. It will be put in a niche, but this might be an advantage.

6. meds

meds New Member

Goodfellas had one of the worst preview audience reactions of any Warner Bros. movie ever made and it turned out alright.

Just say'n...

7. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

8. electronicStar

Original Member

Not a lot of people would have bet on minecraft either. Or angry birds.

9. jcottier

jcottier New Member

minecraft, yes may be not a lot of people.

But anyone whom know a bit about IOS market would have know that angry Bird was a perfect match for this market. Yes, easy to say this after the battle but still...

JC

10. Applewood

I agree about angry birds, bit I *still* don't get the minecraft phenomenon!

11. cyodine

Original Member

The name might help. Just make an *craft and you're in the same league as warcraft and starcraft etc... :p

12. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

Ah... fortunately I was wrong thinking that.
    I'm happy to report that 'the little crane that could' is a runaway success.
    It's rapidly approaching a 1M ad requests per day.
    Too bad the fill rate of my ad-network is horrible (4% of the requests result in an impression), otherwise it would be in big-bucks territory now.
    But the in-app-purchase is making good money, so I'm happy.

13. Bmc

Bmc New Member

congrats, it's a good thing you didn't let a little discouragement keep you from finishing :)