WIP: Magic Match - Feedback Request

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by codeminion, Sep 24, 2004.

1. codeminion

Indie Author

Hello everybody.

We have decided to post about our current project in order to gather preliminary feedback as well as some hints that you would be willing to share.

First of all this will be our second shareware project (the first one was Pteroglider). We have drawn many conclusions from it’s distribution process. Probably the most important of all is “Don’t make crappy games, they don’t sell well enoughâ€. (Mean 10 copies a month and going down.)

Our new game is called “Magic Match†and basically it will be a 2D puzzler with a strong fantasy theme and storyline. Links to a screenshot covering the Main Menu the game-play screen (All WIP) are below. Also a first version of Magic Match wallpaper can be viewed.

The Main Menu Screen

The In Game Screen (WIP)

1024x768 Magic Match Wallpaper

We are in an early process of implementation and an advanced process of designing the game. We have several questions we would like to ask.

1) How to implement “Affiliate Friendliness� In our former project we had to compile new version for every affiliate who whished his logo and links to be included. Besides how does it correspond to key generation and wrappers? Do most of the major affiliates (BigFish, RealArcade ect.) provide their own demo-wrappers? Are there any common design patterns that you know, that we should follow to get most of the affiliate “thingy�

2) One more question regarding the demo version of the game. Is it generally better to have a separate full download and the feature and content limited demo version or to have a key-generation system that unlocks the game? Both solutions would be applicable to our game. How do they influence the affiliate “readiness†of the product?

3) We have noticed that some new successful games don’t have any Nag Screens (vide Jewel Quest) and it didn’t seem to stop them from reaching the tops of the ranking lists. What do you think?

We look forward for any feedback. We will appreciate any other tips you can give us.

Taniell from Codeminion

2. botman

Original Member

Hey,

just like to say I really like your splash screen / wallpaper, and the ingame graphics.

But I can't tell what the wizards face is supposed to be. Is he a potato?

Edit: lol ok now I see it. For some reason I couldn't make out his beard and nose.

#2 botman, Sep 24, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  3. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

Hey, I registered Pteroglider. I thought it was fun, if too short.

To respond to one of your questions, as someone who's purchased a lot of shareware, I prefer to download the game once and then purchase a key to unlock the full version if I like what I see.

The artwork of Magic Match looks beautiful - very professional.

4. tolik

Original Member

Over the past 4-5 monthes I haven't seen the casual distribution channel (besides unique WildTangent) providing semi-complete games (the ones which will require extra downloads).

I would love to see full-sized screenshot of your game.

5. codeminion

Indie Author

Hello

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you liked the graphics for Magic Match (which is like always in our case programmer art) but wait till you experience the game-play! :)

DadTimesTwo:
    First of all we would like to REALLY thank you for registering Pteroglider. While developing Pteroglider we focused on one aspects of the game more than on others, which resulted in a game with little content and very nice explosions. We would like Magic Match to be much better balanced and designed than our former project.

Additionally Pteroglider had very high hardware and software requirements (DX9, 3d acceleration etc.) Magic Match will require neither, thus we hope it will appeal to a broader audience.

EmuLynx:
    We wouldn’t like to post full sized screens of the game right now because it is under very heavy reconstruction. In some time (circa 1 month) we hope post a small game-play demo here on IndieGamer to get more feedback. Anyway thank you for your interest.

Additional request.
    If anyone of you has ANY problems recognizing the Wizards face ( potato ;) or whatever) please let us know – we will have to correct that ;)

Once again thanks for replies and looking forward to reading more.

Taniell from Codeminion

6. keethrus

Original Member

I had a slight problem with the wizards face in the smaller main menu image, but the larger wall paper image was fine. :)

- Jeremiah