Will you get Vista? Which version?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Tertsi, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Tertsi

Tertsi
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I'm probably going to get the Vista Home Premium in the next few months. Not only for testing purposes because I could use the upgrade from win2k.

Do you think anything important to an indie dev is missing from the Home Premium edition?

Will you get Vista? Which version?

2. GBGames

GBGames
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I will not be getting Vista in the foreseeable future.

3. jankoM

jankoM
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I am still on win2k... I see no much reason to go to XP... What is Wista?

4. Cartman

Cartman
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I'm probably going to get it in the next few months. It comes in the Business version in the MS Action pack which should be due out in a month or so. Of course, I'm going to have to get a new computer to run it on. :)

5. RedKnight

RedKnight
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Mind you.

At that time I'll get a Linux.

6. KNau

KNau
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Whatever version comes pre-installed on my new computer. My old computers will not be updating.

7. Bad Sector

Bad Sector
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I don't think that there is any reason to update to Vista at all. It's not like they provide anything really new.

Having said that, i may buy the Home Basic edition just to test my stuff on it (i'm developing in Linux anyway). But i'll do that only if i hear that a lot of stuff breaks in Vista (and that only after vista has been released to the public ;-)).

8. Tertsi

Tertsi
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

For one I'll be able to use my hardware RAID functionality. I'm not able to with win2k thanks to stupid winxp only drivers. (There'll be Vista ones too if there aren't already.)

9. S2P

S2P
    Expand Collapse

We will wait to see if any patches come out first.

10. Grey Alien

Grey Alien
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I'll have to buy it soon to test and tweak my games to run on it, sigh :-(

11. gmcbay

gmcbay
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I'm absolutely sure I'll buy Vista eventually and probably the Home Premium edition, but for now I'm happy with Windows XP.

12. Singularis

Singularis
    Expand Collapse

$400! Prettiness comes at a price

13. Bad Sector

Bad Sector
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Then why do Vista cost that much? :p

14. Anthony Flack

Anthony Flack
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I only just recently bought XP to put on my Macbook (after being a perfectly content long-time 2k user), so no. And given that the Macbook came with Mac OS X 4 already, Vista's "new" features don't exactly fill me with excitement. Also: crazy system requirements and this ridiculous multi-tiered pricing structure with all the stingy crippled features this entails. What do you mean, no fancy visual scheme in this version? What, no DVD player? Etc.

It's fair to say I haven't exactly been sold on it. But I suppose we will all get it eventually, won't we? Probably all our new computers will come with the el-cheapo version pre-installed, and we will curse that half its basic functionality has been stripped out.

15. svero

svero
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Well I suppose Ill have to get it for testing games and such, but I'm not terribly excited to have a new OS to deal with. Just a pain really.

I have a few ideas how microsoft might have better spent their time than releasing a new os. Like how about that messenger program being able to split up long text messages and send it as two messages? or make it so that when you transfer a small file using the internet it "just works" instead of popping up 150,000 little messages about firewalls etc... Oh! and here's another good one! Copy and paste. I miss the old days where you could copy text from one program and paste it in another. That'd be good to get that working again...

16. GBGames

GBGames
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Actually, I'll still make a point of either building my own machines or buying machines with no OS preinstalled. I don't need to pay for something I won't use.

17. GBGames

GBGames
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Wow, when did that functionality break?

18. JoshuaSmyth

JoshuaSmyth
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I'm pretty keen to get a new computer, so I might just wait a while and get one that has vista pre-installed.

19. Tertsi

Tertsi
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

One other thing that pushes us to move is that especially Microsoft's own software will only be made working on the newest OS (that includes games, though those don't matter to me too much). There's some nice Windows XP only software I can't have because of that.

20. KNau

KNau
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

And of course the first thing I'll do with Vista is turn off all the animated extras and crap to get it as close to the Win95 interface as I can - I don't need 3D windows or funky search options to find my files. I remember the days when my OS fit on a floppy disk (I miss you Amiga!).

There should really be 2 versions of the software. The "Veteran User" version gives you a stipped down but fully functional OS for people who prefer 3rd party software solutions and the "What's a Computer?" version that has all the stupid bells and whistles for people who don't know any better.