WiiWare...

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Adrian Cummings, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

As I started this thread... In the end I went to Apple iPhone/iTouch instead and got signed as an official developer no problem.

#81 Adrian Cummings, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. moose6912

moose6912 New Member

You mean you paid $199 for the ADC? How long did you have to wait for it? I applied about 3 weeks ago and did not receive any email from them yet.

3. electronicStar

Original Member

I think Nintendo is simply looking for GOOD games. If you look at Luc Bernard's game it seems to have a very original and let's say "artsy" graphic style (although gameplay itself seems to suck).
    I'm sure if you come to them with a game with a certain potential, they'll break the rule.

4. Spore Man

Indie Author

I agree with that last sentiment. The guy on that blog probably did a poor pitch and then got the standard form letter rejection.

Nintendo works REALLY closely with the devs they did approve, and AFAIK it's the game concepts that really sold them on making such commitments.

5. hooble

hooble New Member

I have to say that the original 'Eternity's Child' by Luc Bernard isn't actually any good, so that can't be why Nintendo would approve a WiiWare version. Here's a link to the original mobile game for 'Eternity's Child', where you can download and play it ad-supported on a Java phone...

http://browse.00adam.com/WhiteLabelWeb/details.htm?id=135

Way back when this game was originally released on gamejump.com users could make comment posts, and the man himself Luc Bernard apologized for how poor the game was.

When I saw that 'Eternity's Child' was announced for WiiWare I was excited, because I thought that the rest of us mobile devs would get a fair shake from Nintendo. It's not like this game was actually any good, so if that got approved than I might have a shot. Some of us make games that are much more popular than that one.

I'm sure it's not Luc Bernard's game that got the acceptance with WiiWare. It's likely because his publisher Alten8 is an established mobile publisher, and they are the ones that were actually approved, not specifically Luc Bernard.

6. hooble

hooble New Member

I'm going to amend my previous statement based on new evidence:

After being contact by Mr. Luc Bernard, I have learned that he was in fact approved by Nintendo based on a demo for 'Eternity's Child' that he presented to them, however not because of the mobile version.

I guess I was kinda harsh being one of those devs that got the form letter style rejection from the big N, and basing my opinion on the mobile Java version of the game. I now apologize for my harsh comments.

So maybe all it takes is a good PC demo? I get the feeling that Nintendo won't go out of their way to check out an indie mobile game.

7. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Firstly they don't sign everyone it would seem? but it took about 3 months to get signed in my case and I went in from day one anyway.

Having a good game for WiiWare is 'probably' not enough now though no, you will most likely still need the office bollox and other stuff I guess. Perhaps Luc was really lucky I don't know?, but good luck to the man anyway.

#87 Adrian Cummings, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  8. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Heh LOL 'probably' meaning you also have no idea, so whatever yeah, 'In my case' I did'nt pitch at them in the first place however, moreover my point being last year was they would'nt even get off first base to look at an idea let alone pitch it to them.

I have the brains, the money and the games concepts/projects but don't have the office or the company reg number that is why I got rejected you plonker :)

Who cares anyway I moved on from it all but power to all other small indies (that work from home!) that tread this path.

9. hooble

hooble New Member

I'm going to add one more point from Mr. Bernard. He's also now mentioned that the porting is being done by Alten8, in their offices. So there you go guys. Nintendo really is sticking with their 'separate office' requirement. That one already disqualifies me, and I have no plans to pay for an empty office at the moment.

10. Oaf

Oaf
    Original Member

Hmmm, I don't think Alten8 has an office either, does he...?

Adrian...?

11. hooble

hooble New Member

From the http://alten8.com website...

Alten8 Limited, Basepoint Business and Innovation Centre, 110 Butterfield
    Great Marlings, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU2 8DL, United Kingdom

Looks like an office address to me.

12. Oaf

Oaf
    Original Member

You're right - last time I spoke to him he was working from home.

13. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

I thought this was the case actually with Luc's game and yes Paul (Alten 8) does have an office (or did have when I last worked with him?), so as Hooble also kindly explained for the benefit of all here, then that's why Luc was able to get on the Wii/WiiWare in the first place.

No office and work from home = No WiiWare (very likely 99.9% type sure jobby anyway).