WiiWare...

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Adrian Cummings, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

[Post deleted by author]

#1 Adrian Cummings, Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. samnova

Original Member

As you noticed they just said "from software development companies" and not "new developers" or "indie developers". Nor did they say how many companies, maybe it is just THQ, Eidos, EA, Capcom or something like.

My guess is that they got the proposals from companies already registered as Wii developer who might have gotten 'Wii Ware' status already. Then again, maybe they don't even have that ready.

But if they already got 100 proposals, then the question is if they will open up for more developers on Wario World, as you say does not sound 'open' at all.

Time (or Nintendo) will only tell I guess.

3. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

As far as I know, it *is* open for everyone, who has a proven track record, separate offices (not home offices), and proven financial records to show that they're not going bankrupt any time soon. Which pretty much rules out all indies, of course.

4. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

[Post deleted by author]

#4 Adrian Cummings, Oct 11, 2007
  5. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Was it really, or is that just what you'd hoped ?

It seems pretty open to me tbh. All you really need is an office and a small amount of financial stability. ie not be living hand to mouth.

It amazes me when people think that this is asking too much. If you want anyone to take you seriously, then make yourself look serious. You're talking about entering into a business venture with a megacorp and they have no time to waste on people who might easily dissappear in three months.

My piss pot little firm could run pretty well without us having an office, but it doesn't cost hardly anything and it's better for both external business and internal team building, so we rent a small office. It's not rocket science.

6. hooble

hooble New Member

It really irked me when I got that form letter after visiting WarioWare as well. I don't understand what Nintendo has to lose by allowing us to make games. At least microsoft has the XNA creators club, though I don't really agree with paying MS a yearly fee to do my own thing with my own hardware.

I wonder if it would make any sense to start a company that simply made workstations available to anyone who wanted access to console dev kits. This way indies could pay a fee for workstation time, like renting office space. I imagine Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft would just lawyer me to death if I tried though.

7. Spore Man

Indie Author

Umm, just because they haven't opened the doors to every amateur on the planet who's motivation stops if they can't fill out a web form to gain access doesn't mean it's exclusive to the "big boys". And this "no home office" claim is nonsense as well.

What's going on is they ARE working with indies, but only those who had the motivation to actually go meet with them in person at GDC and other similar avenues, and who have demonstrated ability, interesting concepts, and motivation to complete their game.

I know of at least one such 2-man indie team who has been approved for Wii development, due to the innovative concept they pitched.

I imagine Nintendo wants to launch with a bang -- A small but interesting collection of Wii-Ware rather than any and every crap-shoot thrown at them.

8. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

warioworld.com says, under http://warioworld.com/apply/ -> "Wii (includes WiiWare)" ->

9. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

[Post deleted by author]

#9 Adrian Cummings, Oct 12, 2007
  10. Oaf

Oaf
    Original Member

Yeah the "secure office" thing is a bit bonkers really.

Is your home any less secure than your office? Are Nintendo worried about dev kits getting nicked and put on ebay or something - not that that doesn't happen anyway when a dev goes under....

And they know themselves that secure offices don't matter anyway - they've had first hand experience of this when Creations' offices got raided and all the Ultra kit got nicked.

11. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

[Post deleted by author]

#11 Adrian Cummings, Oct 12, 2007
  12. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

I guess it boils down to NDAs really. If you have a 'secure office' for the material, it's much less likely for a random family friend to idly browse through the material while you're baking bagels.

13. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

[Post deleted by author]

#13 Adrian Cummings, Oct 12, 2007
  14. Applewood

Absolutely. I agree it's cock having worked from home for several years myself, but it's their bat and their ball so you have to play by their rules. Which I really don't think are that outrageous.

15. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

[Post deleted by author]

#15 Adrian Cummings, Oct 12, 2007
  16. jimflip

Original Member

Their 'rules' are reasonable to me, but very much doubt it will be open to all even if they do meet the requirements. Their will be too much supply from established software houses out for a quick buck, their needs will be met by people they already have a working relationship with.

It doesn't make much business sense to have to manage relationships with a load of minor companies without much of a track record or understanding of the protocol of dealing with Nintendo development.
    And to be honest the games from most indie dev's is realistically likely to be less polished than those already in the loop.

It's good marketing to say that they are supporting the little guy and it also keeps a bridge in case their isn't much supply of products for WiiWare, but as that statement says they already have a 100 titles lined up by people currently in the loop with them.

I'm just reading between the lines and being realistic, I would love to port our stuff to the Wii, I just don't see it happening and being too competitive if it does.

Jim.

17. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

[Post deleted by author]

#17 Adrian Cummings, Oct 12, 2007
  18. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

[Post deleted by author]

#18 Adrian Cummings, Oct 12, 2007
  19. luggage

There was some confusion when the 'more open to indies' line was quoted. Some thought it meant folk at home in their bedroom and some thought it meant more like indie studios (of which there are fewer and fewer now).

20. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Thanks for all your comments - I've deleted all mine above for reasons I've decided I do not wish to share here.

Cheers,