Wich engine should I start with?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Fontainos, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Fontainos

Fontainos New Member

Hey guys,

I'm just starting in programming and game development. I'd like to create a 2D game like Tibia and i don't know much about engines, could you suggest me what suits me best?

I guess it will etheir be GameMaker or Unity since these are to ones i see everywhere :p

2. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

GameMaker or Unity as you mentioned are good choices. I don't know much GameMaker, but I know Unity has invested a lot in the 2D aspect. It's well supported. Furthermore, based on your example game "Tibia", I know Unity has many assets in the asset store for the RPG tiles and also complete projects to start an RPG game. The assets store has all the extensions needed for that kind of game.

3. kurdle

kurdle New Member

Unity for sure, it's a really stable & efficient engine. It's also what I learned with and what I still use. I wouldn't recommend Unreal Engine or other engines with visual scripting because then you never learn how to wright actual code.

4. syntaxterror

syntaxterror New Member

Another vote for Unity here.

I also wouldn't go for Unreal Engine. Not because of the visual scripting, as you can use C++ if you really want to get your hands dirty. Besides plenty of non-programmers use Unity with one of the visual scripting modules you can get from the Unity Store. But as a rule you should always use an engine with the intention of learning to program. Although Unity uses C# (or JavaScript), other engines use other languages and if you have experience in one language it can help when moving to another.

I learned to program around '86, long before you had all these fancy tools (I still code in 6502 assembly language when I have the time) and found that once I had one or two languages tied down, it was pretty easy to learn the others. So yeah - I can do C++ as well, although C# has been my tool of choice for the past 10 years.

bantamcitygames likes this.
  5. Frozen Cube

Frozen Cube New Member

Definitely Unity, but I highly suggest you start with C# programming. Will end up better for you in the long run! ;) Good luck!

6. Rekusi

Indie Author

Another Unity user here!

I used to make Unreal Tournament maps with Unreal, but I had never tried something from the ground up. I had considered 2d engines only, but I would also want to branch out to 3d eventually or at least 2d games with 3d elements. Take Leo's Fortune for example. Its a 2d game but look how much of the scenery moves. Ive experimented doing the exact same effect in Unity with a 2d runner using the camera in a specific way.

Another reason I went with Unity is the mass amount of community support that it is. I wanted to minimize down time when hunting for help, and the Unity community has been an immeasurable help, and were even able to help me with my first game.

7. ericstargamer

ericstargamer New Member

I say u should use rpg maker mv if u using javascript and even with javascript rpg maker mv works great if ur making a rpg

8. johnparker92

johnparker92 New Member

According to me 'Unity' is good to develop 2d games.

9. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

Gamemaker Studio is the way to go for 2d.

10. daimaku

daimaku New Member

another vote for unity3d here, is so easy to start with it, also it handle 2d games very good!

11. Albert Vafana

Albert Vafana New Member

Unreal, Unity are good engines bro but before you start programing, anything i think you should get a feel of game creation so that when you start coding you will know what you are doing so for starters i recommend an easy engine like construct2 then once you get the hang of gaming you can move on to complex engines such as unity, Cry or Unreal

12. Muhammad Sulaiman

Muhammad Sulaiman New Member

For beginners concept I think you need to use construct 2. By using this software you will get a very clear concept on game development and as well as game concepts of how game are exactly working.

13. Christian Amwayi

Christian Amwayi New Member

unity is a really great way to go.

14. Muhammad Sulaiman

Muhammad Sulaiman New Member

Here is a link for construct 2, where you can learn Construct 2 from beginners Click here.