Who is youngest here?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by JiriNovotny, May 15, 2005.

1. terin

Original Member

School Kids

Life is funny for college graduates. You can be hard on them and call them arrogent, but that isn't exactly what it is.

See, when you are competing with the rest of the world you need to try to stand out and strut your feathers. What you lack in experience must be made up with the power of 50% bullshit and 50% confidence.

Unless you are crazy like Nexic or James Smith or myself and found your own company at a young age... well, the fact is you can't get experience from books. So you have to lie your pants off and hope you can pull it off when you get the job. That's what its all about, thats why hiring new people is hard, digipen or anywhere.

Fact is I am not sure which is easier, doing the crazy "Founded my company age age 17,18, or 19 while going to school" or trying to get a job with no true experience in an industry with a 2 year minimum experience requirement.

I'm a youngin I suppose, but ive been working in video games, one way or another, since I was 13. I founded my own company at age 19 and am getting damn close to 23... and by the time im 23 I will be married and our daughter will be 3...

So... physical age: 22. Mental Age: Mid-30s

2. Abscissa

Original Member

Which they are often told to do. And just goes to show that the arrogant smooth-talkng applicants are the ones to avoid, because they probably lack experience/skill ;). (Heheh, it's like the tiny dogs that never stop yapping.)

Right, but (from what I've seen) the average student doesn't have the slightest clue that it's even possible to learn anything or gain experience without a classroom or a job. Which we know isn't really the case.

I had no idea you were early-20's. I thought you were like 30's or 40's or something :D.

3. prozero

Original Member

+1, I'm 24 too.
    Anyway, hello everyone, I'm new to these forums.
    I know a few languages but I nearly only program with C++ these days.

4. etali

Original Member

I'm 23.

I was introduced to computer programming when I was 4. I remember I could do for...next statements, gotos (ewww.) and take input, but I didn't 'get' the IF statement at first - took a lot of tries to figure that out. I got really really upset about that.

I tried to learn pascal, c and basic all at once and got confused using the wrong syntax in the wrong language *g*.

I wonder if any of my old tapes still have code on them from back then - would be embarrasing to look at now :)

5. Abscissa

Original Member

Heh, if you think that's bad, try learning Java, C#, D, and the newer features of C++ at (around) the same time - while trying to keep all of their subtleties and nuances straight ;).