Who is youngest here?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by JiriNovotny, May 15, 2005.

1. Rebrehc's Industries

Original Member

Well, it does say "Senior Member" under your name, but I thought that meant time on the forum, not the planet!

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I know it's a "me too! me too!!" thread, but I'll play along.

Another member of the hip "24" club. Cruel parents bought me a computer (C64) instead of cool NES, so I'd think a lot about the games I played at friends houses. Eventually started programming on it and learning pixel art. Eventually got a gameboy and a subscription to Nintendo Power, so I'd gawk over games and pixel art, and design and draw stuff on paper. Somehow I was skilled enough at graphic design and had a job doing that at 17. Dropped out of college at 19 to take a game job.

Today, slowly escaping the mainstream industry, and my curse of girl games.

3. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

20 years since I made my first game (I would have said on the Amstrad CPC, but actually I think I made a few things on the Dick Smith VZ-200 before that). However I never dreamed of trying to sell them until after the internet came along. And also I didn't really do any in the 90s.

4. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

I'm 28. Started coding as a kid on my old Vic-20.

I would have gotten started seriously in games sooner, but I wanted to work in the 'real' world a bit to figure it out a bit, make some money, and earn some actual real-world skills that I'm now finding immensely valuable when side-stepping to games.

But it's glad to finally be home...

-Hiro_Antagonist

5. Abscissa

Original Member

I'm 23 now. Started programming on an Apple IIc (wish I still had it :( ) at somewhere around 6-8. Developed my first *real* game at 16, which got into stores on a few of those "million games on a disc" bundles just after I turned 17.

EDIT: Hey! This is my 256th post!

6. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Heh during grade school, I was a jock by day and a nerd by night. :) I played basketball and soccer for my high school teams. With soccer, I actually made it pretty far in the Olympic Development Program. Most people thought I'd play pro soccer.

Little did they know at night, I'd be up on the computer playing various text Adventure games and trying to develop my own little games. I had one other friend who knew about my night activities and we both collaborated on small projects. I did mostly art and design and he did most of the programming. When I moved away in the middle of high school, I gradually started doing scripting and programming myself.

Nowadays I do more programming than art. Though I mostly use RAD tools. Also I wish I stayed proficient with my pixel art because I was becoming very good at it. Now it's pretty much gone...

7. Surrealix

Indie Author

Heh, a chance to brag....

Except somehow this thread has made me feel old, and I'm only 17.

I started when I was about 11, programming in VB4 on our family computer. I taught myself everything I know about game programming from internet tutorials and books.

I have one commercial title finished, Radia, but I don't really like how it looks, so I'm busy re-doing many of the graphics to bring it up to my current standards (and hopefully increase sales).

I've also had a job writing a major application for a ski field, when I was 15. It uses a handheld scanner to keep track of pass use, and such.

8. kevryan

Indie Author

I am 0x2c.

9. dima

Original Member

I am almost 9, started coding when I was 4. Finished writing Doom3 when I was 6, on the ZX Spectrum 128 (128k ram, with a 5.25# floppy).

10. Mjonesgraphics

Original Member

First thing I programmed and designed graphics for was on the VIC 20 at about 13-14 I'd guess. UDGs. You just gotta luv 'em!

Started as a "professional" (I was paid) at 18.

Mark.

11. Travis Dorschel

Original Member

Another one in the 24 club. Began programming when I was about 13 in BASIC. Programmed games and pixel art for my TI-82 calculator in high school to share with friends. Made some cool mode 13h games and demos in programming class. Went to the UW and worked on some more graphics and game projects. Sold my first screensaver last year. Now I work full time as a Software Engineer and program screensavers in my spare time working my way up to larger and larger projects. Shooting for my first indie game in the next year.

12. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Wow, what in the world happened in 1980/81??? (Soooo many 24-yr-olds here.) I guess your parents were so hooked on Pac-Man (came out 1980) that it ended up in their DNA?? :)

13. soniCron

Indie Author

Funny you should mention that. We 24 year olds were just in time for:
    • PCs becoming a common household item
    • The NES and it's explosive power
    • It being cool to be a nerd
    • It being nerdy to play video games
    Anyone else have some ideas?

14. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Dammit, wrong part of the world. If only my school mates knew that... :(

15. soniCron

Indie Author

Well, I don't know about your situation, but a pimple faced, buck toothed, thick glasses, pants hiked up nerd wouldn't last anywhere, but just being a nerd (read: smart) isn't enough anymore for bullies and jocks to make fun of. They know we'll be be signing their paychecks when they start worrying about retirement!

16. BrandonC

Original Member

Not always, there are some kids in my school that poke fun of me, but not for my apperence, but the fact that I am a "know it all" to them, when all I do is stand up when I know a passed on fact is incorrect.

17. mkovacic

Original Member Indie Author

Nobody likes a smartass. :D

[edit] 26, BTW. And I had to do the math, I keep forgetting my age. ;)

18. soniCron

Indie Author

Did you have to calculate it in hex or binary? (Octal, perhaps?) :D

19. mkovacic

Original Member Indie Author

I did a dependant read to look it up from a texture. :D
    But you're right, 1A is definitely more distinctive than 26. :)

20. sparkyboy

Original Member

Right,time to bring this thread back on track.
    As was originally requested 'who is the youngest here'.Let me think about that for a sec.Hmmmm thats right 38.(Not me then) :p

But remember you are only as old as the woman you feel :D

And don't BYTE off more than you can chew else you'll be a ZERO. :eek:

P.S.
    Looking over the whole of this thread,Jim,James et al i've reserved rooms at the local hospice for the computationally gifted. :p (I'll get there one day promise) Insert BIG GRIN here.LOL

#40 sparkyboy, May 17, 2005
    Last edited: May 17, 2005