Who else is sick of civony ads?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by cliffski, May 3, 2009.

1. papillon

Indie Author

I removed google ads from my blog because they kept trying to sell DS pirate kits, and at least at the time takedown procedures were far too slow and unreliable... fuckit, I don't need a few pennies from advertising.

there should be a better way to do 'This ad which you are running on my site makes me see red with rage, delete with extreme prejudice' - I've known a number of feminist bloggers absolutely horrified at some of the things that have turned up in the ad cycle (many of whom also then stopped running ads, or at least switched to other providers)

2. Nexic

Indie Author

I remember back when I released Desperate Space. Due to the related keywords my site suddenly filled up with AdSense ads for "She-Pee" a special piece of equipment that allows women to pee like a man in the wilderness. It was just what I wanted on my game site.

3. puddinlover

puddinlover New Member

This just made my day HAHA!

Ya I have seen these ads beside a lot of youtube videos related to gaming.

4. defanual

Original Member

Mine too, brilliant! Thank you Neil LOL :D

5. puggy

Original Member

There a chinese company and i'm pretty sure there server's are in china so they get away with it for the simple reason, it's near impossible to sue the buggers or have there server's shut down.

6. Uhfgood

Original Member

hmm they've shown up on my google ads too. Maybe I should block the domain name? I still have some slots left. Although I have been getting clicks on my blog, hopefully removing it won't stop the clicks i get.

7. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

That's on sale??

I saw it on Dragon's Den a few years ago and they practically got thrown down the stairs!

8. Rickard

Rickard New Member

They did a follow up in "Dragons Den - Where are they now", and it was doing very well! They had customers world wide. I actually think Dragon's Den could be a great marketing tool for good, but unknown products, and it might very well have helped them break through. I get the impression that several of the participants aren't really looking to sell equity as much as getting the some free advertising by being on tv.
    And btw, it's "She-Wee" :)

9. defanual

Original Member

Well, being a guy and knowing the joy, freedom, confidence and liberation standing up while weeing can bring you, if I were a girl, I would buy one too;)

10. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Indeed. I never like the idea of someone else deciding what content goes on my site. Thus I don't like the idea of hosting ads, along with various other reasons.
    I have to say, I leave a lot of sites because of their ads. I have adblock installed but generally turned off. I've found a lot of decent sites through well targeted and well placed ads.

11. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Yeah!

The Dragons really took the p!ss out of them (apparently).. :confused:

12. andrew

andrew New Member

Uh, Civony is now "Evony": http://www.evony.com/index.do

Looks like they got rid of the ripped art, and are "hiring" all sort of positions...

- andrew

13. Pyabo

Original Member

Well well well... either good on 'em, or maybe legal threats in China *can* carry some weight. Either way, a nice development.

14. Pyabo

Original Member

15. jankoM

Indie Author

That evony/civony is really everywhere and getting mildly annoying (I wasn't aware they stole artwork).

It seems strange how 1 game can populate ads on almost all the game related "internets" for all internet users.. how much are they paying to google then? Or is the internet still that small?

16. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Game ads are amongst the lowest paying in google adwords (content, not search terms), so if they have some cash to burn they can easily spam.. ahem, advert their game everywhere.
    Usually eCPM for games (and flash) is 0.1$ or similar, so...:eek:

edit: depends also on sites/countries. I for instance have NEVER seen one of those ads, but I don't visit flash sites too much.

17. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

They are very irritating, I'm amazed that they can afford to pay out maybe $0.10 every time someone clicks on one...

18. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

Neither do I, but they are on facebook and myspace and many non-game related sites.

19. defanual

Original Member

These ads are way too prolific...

I'm surprised too, considering that misleading people about your product in ads is usually one of the best ways to burn money without a return of your investment.

Thankfully, I haven't had too many of them nor some of the more suggestive versions either ;)

EDIT: Literally checked my site just as I typed the above sentence only find my site seems to be showcasing the latest iteration of the 'my lord' campaign :(

20. Colm

Colm New Member