Which services should I use?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by M2Gamer, Dec 20, 2016.

1. M2Gamer

M2Gamer New Member

Hello all!

I am new to this forum, and new to creating games over all, but decided it was time to get started on something that I really wish to accomplish.

My idea for the game is "simple". I want to do something along the lines of "Golden Sun" or even Pokemon for those who are more familiar, which means that I want that kind of Pseudo-3D map that a lot of those kind of games have, but with a separate screen for a battle or interaction.

I am fairly new to programming, but it is what I am studying in school. Java in fact. But I am looking to learn the more common one's for larger games and the like.

What I am looking for is which program or service that I could use to possibly get this started. My original thought was to use RPG Maker, but I don't know if there is a better one out there for what I am trying to accomplish.

Any and all feedback on ideas or anything would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance, have a wonderful day and a wonderful holiday!

M2G

2. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I highly recommend starting from nothing. While I have not used any, I would imagine using templates or "game makers" is extremely restrictive and costly. Everyone will tell you the programming language they use is the right one... and they are probably right.

The best thing you can do right now is master a programming language / program that will let you build something from scratch. I personally use Animate/Flash, but kids today don't respect it. It is highly restrictive in 3D, so might not be what you want. A lot of people like Unity, of which I have never used.

3. M2Gamer

M2Gamer New Member

I actually have tired using Unity, with... less the desirable results. I tried doing to many things with skill I honestly do not have.

My thoughts with the game makers is that I would use the Free or Trial versions to get a sense of either pacing, order of getting things done, and templates that can set a foundation for what I want to be able to do later on.

Would Java work for a gaming language? I do not hear of anyone doing games in Java much anymore.

Also, I don't want the game to be 3D for all of it. For an idea of the concept I want, look into the original Golden Sun. And the battle would be a single screen style fight, similar to older Pokemon games.

4. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Also, have you taken into consideration how to program enemy AI? Not the language, but the logic itself? Is the 3D just a look, or is it actually 3D for a reason? Remember that games like Wolfenstien 3D are not actually 3D. Don't waste your time learning 3D unless you actually plan on using all three dimensions.

I'm not gonna tell you that you could do this with Flash/Animate ... but you could do this with Flash/Animate.

5. M2Gamer

M2Gamer New Member

[​IMG]

I want something similar to this, although more pixelated.

Also, the combat would be something like wolfenstein 3D for how characters would look, so it would not actually be 3D. Like this

[​IMG]

Again, more pixelated with my project.

6. noahbwilson

Indie Author

That's a huge undertaking for your first game. Not saying don't do it ... just I encourage you (and everyone) to start small with your first project. I assure you there are tons of things you are not taking into consideration. Don't make your first game your masterpiece. I'm on my ... 20th game (I lost count) ... and my 'masterpiece' is still sitting 40% done, waiting for me to find my faults and failures so that I can keep them out later.

idurvesh likes this.
  7. M2Gamer

M2Gamer New Member

This is my problem haha. I already have an idea in my head that I want to get done. Trying other things out, whether to figure out what I can and cannot do, testing my limits, or any other reason, I won't feel committed to the smaller/other projects that I would be doing.

I am one of those people who, once they have an idea, I have to get it done. :p Just got to figure out how.

8. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Well be warned: we're all like that. I do hope you get it figured out, but I also caution you get some experience before chasing your dream. Practice makes perfect.

9. WildG

WildG New Member

I have the same problem. What I did is cut the game into small pieces. While making my engine from scratch I switched focus from flavor to functionalities. So you want to make a game with a map and combat? You could do the combat bit first and make it a smaller game. A lot less to think about and it will get you started.

My 2 cents

10. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Do go with RPG Maker. I would recommend AGAINST starting from scratch. Without experience you'll get lost and it will take a long time before you even get a very basic setup. With RPG Maker you don't have as much power and flexibility but at least you can start making your game right away. The software is cheap to buy, will do approximately what you intend to do (from your description) and will give you precious experience in scripting, design, story-telling, pixel art, etc..

Being able to start developing soon is more important than learning core programming concepts from the start. RPG Maker is relatively deep and very customizable so you should be able to go a long way with it. When you start to feel limited by the tool, then it will be the moment to look at learning a programming language or another more powerful / more expansive tool. It will be easier to learn it with already a bit of experience making games.

11. noahbwilson

Indie Author

That's how I got started. Three years later I have 20 games and am totally ready to make my first RPG. However, I wasn't as eager to make an RPG starting out. I was more eager to make Super Mario World.

A blank canvas is a beautiful thing, and a daunting challenge.

www.scpgames.com