Which engine should I use?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by IncognitoMode, Jan 10, 2015.

1. IncognitoMode

IncognitoMode New Member

I've been in the modding community before 2003, I built my first lovely map in 2004 and since then I've been designing various things. I'm a jack-of-all-trades, but a master of none. University arrived, and afterwards work 'n' stuff, so I didn't have much time, but now I found some spare time, compared to my daily routines and I've planned for a lengthy period for a certain project that I would like to work on. I'll be designing something of a Sandbox game, a small city with a surface of 30 km^2 and I was wondering which is the proper engine for such a thing? It will be intended for PC, since I've been gaming on the PC 90% of the time, and I would love to make this an open project, once I have something to show for it.

I started off with GoldSrc, continued on to Source and they have severe limitations to their maps, making my project difficult to accomplish, so is there a suggestion as to what should I decide to use? I am hesitant between Unity3D and UDK.

I'd love to hear your experiences and suggestions. Thank you.

#1 IncognitoMode, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  2. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

What you want to accomplish is quite precise. The more precise you want to be, the more obstacles you're likely to have. I'm trying Unity and I've faced several challenges trying to create precise projects. Normally, the majority of the big engines can do the stuff, but some are more oriented for certain projects. You mentioned that your time was limited. From my experience, Unity is great to prototype and very quick. Where I lost a lot of time is when I was trying to do something very precise. In otherwise word, if you're trying to implement something not built in the engine, it may take 80% of your time. For example, RPGMaker is probably better for building RPGs than Unity in terms of time, but Unity may do the job as well.

3. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

There's no magic answer unfortunately, it will depend on your skill set and project requirements as to what engine suits you best.

Unity will certainly do the job for you, it's what I tend to use these days.
    You will need to get your head around component-based architecture and aspect oriented programming which is the biggest hurdle for most programmers trying unity for the first time.

As for your game, 30 km² is reasonable. I was recently working with a team doing a project that was 160,000 mile² or ~414 km² in Unity for example.
    We had to split the landscape up into 9x9 chunks but that's standard for a large terrain.

Unity works best with 3d stuff although they have recently made a lot of effort to improve their 2d side, plus the asset store is a great help if the standard editor doesn't quite do what you want.

#3 Nutter2000, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  4. IncognitoMode

IncognitoMode New Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply guys.
    To clarify things, the world will be a little over 18km² or 7mi² so the size is not too great. As for the time, I meant that I'll have more time now, that I've had in the past. I've been modding things since 2001, and got really into it since 2003, and with the coming out of the Source Engine, I was in love with that stuff. Working at it or not, I've been designing things all the time, and programming/scripting isn't going to be much of a problem, since I've got that covered.
    The 3D design will be imported into Unity/Unreal/UDK/CryEngine, I won't be designing things in the game engine software packages, I'll be using stuff that I've used before, such as Milkshape3D/Max/Blender.
    I was just curious about the differences and experiences between the engines.

5. Son of Bryce

Son of Bryce New Member

I'm just making a guess, but since you come from a modding background Unreal Engine 4 is probably going to be more familiar to you. Both Unity and UE4 are free/cheap so I'd suggest mucking around with them both to understand how they work and you can make that decision yourself.

6. pamelataylor

pamelataylor New Member

I feel that UE4 would be a good choice.