Which 2D engine should I switch to?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by bantamcitygames, Jun 16, 2006.

1. tentons

Indie Author

I wrapped PTK with SWIG without much trouble the other day. Now I can use it as a Python extension.

2. jankoM

Indie Author

That is very interesting tentoons! I will ask you something via PM.

3. HairyTroll

Original Member

SWIG is great. I use SWIG to generate wrappings for all my Lisp stuff. The only hole is that unfortunately it does not support generating C wrappers from C++ code.

4. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

5. whisperstorm

Original Member

After reading many posts here, as well as weighing the options carefully, I decided to buy the Torque Game Builder tool (indie license for now). Why? Part of it is the great games I've seen on it, part of it was the demo has some great effects, and the last part was that I've heard of other indie developers who I look up to are developing using TGB. So, if you are a game engine developer reading this, you should totally get prominent indie game devs to build on your engine and post blurbs about it :)

I realized since all the engines are more or less equal in quality (debatable, yes I know) other factors like community and developer endorsements factor in more heavily...

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

If you want to see a list of games made by PTK, check here:
    http://www.phelios.com/ptk/showcase.html

The list isn't even updated, is missing Mystic Inn #1 on Realarcade for 4 weeks for example and a retail game soon to be distributed worldwide by Atari.

Is fun how all people ignore such facts (not demos, those are finished products that sell), and decide to buy other engines... (their own choice anyway, I don't care).

#86 Jack Norton, Sep 25, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  7. KNau

Original Member

As long as the compatibility is there, the engine you choose has nothing to do with how many copies your game will sell. Maybe that's part of the problem with the PTK sales pitch, they're acting like PTK has something to do with the games being #1. Mystic Inn could have been produced in any other language and had the same end result. It's not a technically impressive achievement, it's just a good game.

Having said that, I'd still take PTK over Torque at this point (if I weren't already working in Flash, that is).

8. Coyote

Indie Author

I whipped out a game (not for commercial sale) in TGB, and was pretty dang impressed with the power and ease of putting together a dinky little casual-style game. It is a pretty capable tool. I'm not saying others are not. Just that it's not a bad choice to go with At All.

9. stiill

Original Member

There are important factors beyond quality. What platforms does it run on? Do you like to work in the language it requires? Does it have an acceptable base download size? Can it handle what you want to do, performance-wise, on your target platform? How much does it offer beyond a basic "draw here" framework, and are those capabilities things you actually want?

10. arctic fox

Original Member

BlitzMax comes close.

1. Has 3D acceleration on Windows using DirectX 7.
    2. Easily portable to Mac and Linux (using OpenGL).
    3. Sort of. Much of BlitzMax is coded in BlitzMax. :)
    4. It's just 80 USD.

-AF

11. Spaceman Spiff

Original Member

Nit-picking I know, but Age of Empires *definitely* did not use SDL. A whole lot of custom ASM, yes (makes Dan happy).

12. Pyabo

Original Member

Buzzzzzz... close, but no cigar. If you don't get it all, you might as well have ZERO.

13. Sean Doherty

Original Member

I wonder how many indie game developers, with well selling games, required the source? I'm using BlitzMax for my current game. That sad, I might give PTK a try for my next game because:

- it will allow me to code in C++ and reverse engineer my code to UML;
    - the Max memory management is a big pain.

14. Coyote

Indie Author

I'd have a really tough time going with a game engine that didn't let me get in there and fiddle with the innards. Not saying I absolutely wouldn't - I mean, we've got Aveyond and a few other games that have been coded in off-the-shelf engines. And after a little bit of fiddling with TGB, I can agree that you can do a lot with it without ever having to get into the C++ code. But I really hate not having that flexibility.

15. Pyabo

Original Member

Indeed. And what happens when you find a *bug*?

16. Coyote

Indie Author

Right - while many engine developers will probably be pretty responsive, I'd hate to put the fate of my project there.

Case in point: Torque has a timing issue with certain configurations of dual-core machines. Including mine. GG is usually pretty good about fixing bugs, but this one is obscure enough (though I think it is growing) that they haven't made it a high priority. Fortunately, the community found where the issue was, and have offered several ways to fix it.

Assuming we have the source code. Which we do.

17. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Are there any third party libraries available for PTK for thinks like:

- XML
    - GUI Controls
    - High Scores

18. Deux

Original Member

Sean

Have you decided yet ? If you have I would like to here your comments.

19. Sean Doherty

Original Member

It is pretty hard to say at this point! I would like to know if PTK supports XML and GUI controls out of the box; or if it has any user made libraries? Also, It would be nice to go with something that would grow with me. That said, I don't think any of the options are 100% perfect of me.

I'll probably have to give the PTK demo a try and see what I think. It would be nice to go back to C++, reverse engineer code to UML, and use multiple monitors in a prefessional development IDE. On the other side, you have the those stupid linker errors.:) I don't think BlitzMax has a faster development time than C++ for a larger projects, I think you just get the savings at different places.

Let me know what you decide, it will be a while before I start me next project, Starchon is evolving again (I think)...

20. jankoM

Indie Author

you have many many xml parsers in c++ so I think it is not needed to be a part of PTK. TinyXML is one. If you are like me and want total minimalism than you can use this code that I used for winter break and catch and some shooter in development. Supports only a subset of xml. Nothing fancy but very tiny an useful for what I need.

I used irrXML (which is said to be minimalistic and fast - part of irrlicht) at first but then I had some problems compiling at Mac because of some use of templates so I got mad and made this minimini parser vith very basic c++, no STL or anything... it is one .h file (240 lines) so you can easily extend it if you need something else. http://www.itmmetelko.com/storage/nanoxml.h