Which 2D engine should I switch to?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by bantamcitygames, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Screwball

Original Member

http://www.garagegames.com/demos/browse/development/

Demo version of TGB. Not sure when it was released.

As far as using it myself, I quite like it. I don't use a lot of the level builder / autoscript style tools built on top of it, prefering ti mainly script by hand. The script language itself is like a 1st / 2nd year Uni version of C++, and the "commercial" liscense gives you the full C++ source for any modifications you want to do. If you use all scripts to make your game you also have basicly out of the box porting to a mac, and by that I mean take all your scripts, drop them into a clean mac version and "compile".

2. Ciperl

Original Member

Jack,

We've heard your cry and the cries of many other developers. We've now got a Free 30 day trial version (no feature limits, except for the watermark). We just put up both trial versions for Windows and Mac.

Plus, just today, we finally launched the full version of Torque Game Builder. Check it out. And now... you can download and try the engine for free... for 30 days. PLUS... even with the 30 day free trial, we're shipping it with over 700 pages of tutorials and docs.

More info: http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/tgb/

Windows Trial Download: http://garagegames.fileburst.com/tgb/GetTorqueGameBuilder.exe
    Mac Trial Download: http://garagegames.fileburst.com/tgb/GetTorqueGameBuilder.app.tgz

3. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here as well. I've been using PTK and loving it. The support is really outstanding. I can't understand how Patrice does it all.

As far as documentation is concerned, anyone who understands C can understand it. It's really simple to use. There is also a breakout-type game written using PTK that you can download and play with the source code:

http://www.phelios.com/ptk/gameengine/examples/arkanoid.txt

That was what I started with to understand the engine. I was quite surprised at how easy it all was and I had my own game prototype done the following day.

PTK proved to be exactly what I wanted. I wanted to focus on coding my game and not having to deal with writing my own functions to display a graphic or play a sound file.

I've spent a lot of money over the years on things, but this was the best $215 I ever spent...well, thats not quite true. There was this dancer once that...nevermind.:rolleyes:

4. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

ptk now officially supports batching (and still requires DX7 only, on Windows), so you can go crazy with particles :)

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

5. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

I still use Blitzmax, it's just so simple to get stuff working. With the addition of my software render module I don't see why I'd need anything else - Yet!

6. lakibuk

Indie Author

What's batching?

7. Emmanuel

Indiepath, sure, Blitzmax is a fine platform too, that's not ptk's audience though :)

lakibuk, it's the ability to send a bunch of blit commands and then have the card execute them all at once, while your code keeps going. This is typically useful for particle systems.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes Blitzmax is great to make small and easy games. If it had a good debugger, I probably would still use it too - right now is a nightmare.

Also note that if you make your game in Blitzmax, is not C/C++ standard so you can't port it easily to other platform (xbox, ps3, etc) in case it is a success ;)

9. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

I had a bit of a tough time understanding this myself until Patrice explained it as:

when you do:

sprite1->blitAlphaRect
    sprite1->blitAlphaRect
    sprite1->blitAlphaRect
    directx does ( in ultra simplified explanations ):

startDrawing
    sprite1->blitAlphaRect
    stopDrawing
    startDrawing
    sprite1->blitAlphaRect
    stopDrawing
    startDrawing
    sprite1->blitAlphaRect
    stopDrawing

those start and stop are very time consuming.

with batching you end up with
    startDrawing
    sprite1->blitAlphaRect
    sprite1->blitAlphaRect
    sprite1->blitAlphaRect
    stopDrawing

I experimented with it on a particle comet that streaks across the screen. I have a timer in my code that displays the time in milliseconds that my game loop takes. I cranked up the particles to 1,000. Without batching my timer shot all the way up to 20 when the comet streaked across the screen (60 frames/second is around 16-17) so my framerate slowed when it was on the screen.

When I applied batching, this dropped to 1-2 which is the same reading I get when the screen is displaying the normal stuff WITHOUT the comet. Batching essentially wiped out the time it normally took the to display the comet.

Not only that, but the particles have a lifespan as they are displayed. Without batching, the comet appeared shorter because it took too long to move it across the screen and the tail end 'died' closer to the head of it. I hope that makes sense. With batching, it became a much fuller, richer, and lengthier comet.

For those questioning PTKs support, I think this is an excellent example of just how great it is. The batching thing came up less than a week ago (the 16th of June) and in less than 1 week, it is now an official part of PTK. Heck, I was testing it for Patrice 3 or 4 days ago. :)

10. lakibuk

Indie Author

Thanks for explaining.

11. Emmanuel

Cool, Hidden Sanctum, glad Pat de-geekified my code and made it useful to someone else than me :)

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

12. Savant

Original Member

The batching feature is a fairly straight forward optimization for any graphics engine. Namely, minimizing state changes. You can't get away with setting up and sending 2 triangles in each call. You have to group together triangles with common attributes (textures, blending, etc) and fire them all at the card at once. That's the only way to get any real speed out of a 3D API like OpenGL.

I'm kind of surprised that PTK wasn't doing this already to be honest. :)

13. Sakura Games

Original Member

Hmm well, my inlay game has over 128 sprites (yes the usual particles you find in all casual games nowadays) and without batching was running fine on all low level machines (and they were quite LOW level like pentium3 450mhz!).
    Anyway, guess that is useful :D

14. delsydsoftware

Original Member

A bit OT, but it does relate to batching:

I wrote some very odd code to handle texture changes and color changes in Brickout. It does one pass for each different texture over the entire level, and it only sets vertex colors if they have changed between bricks. I was aware of the importance of limited texture binding, but I was pretty amazed at the performance hit that happened when the game was setting glColor4f before each quad. Low end machines gained 10fps when I added in the optimized color-setting code. I love OpenGL, but optimization under OGL is definitely an art and a science.

So, hurray for batching! :)

#34 delsydsoftware, Jun 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  15. Savant

Original Member

Yeah, any state change that you do for every primitive is going to hurt a lot. Batching on whatever you can is the smart move.

16. chanon

Indie Author

Sorry for reviving this slightly old thread :eek:

I've modified my codebase to use the PopCap Framework's rendering code but after reading this thread it seems PTK is the better way to go because of its Mac OSX compatibility.

One question is, does PTK do non-accelerated 2D (2D without hardware acceleration)? Or is is non-accelerated 2D absolutely not required anymore these days?

The PopCap Framework's Graphics system has pretty good and extensive non-accelerated 2D support (filtered rotations/scaling all with alpha) which is one of the reasons I initially chose it.

17. Emmanuel

PTK doesn't support software rendering at all. That doesn't seem to be a problem (Mystic Inn, Atlantis and Fairies all require a 3D card on both pc and mac). It also enables you to do some cool effects that you know will work at a high framerate without worrying about taking them down a couple notches for software rendering. If you really want to bother, you can license ptk on mac only (there's a new, cheaper license for buying it only on pc or on mac) and get your code to use either the popcap framework on pc or ptk on mac.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

18. chanon

Indie Author

Thanks a lot for the advice Emmanuel!

19. Matt Langley

Matt Langley New Member

I think you would be pleased with Torque Game Builder (TGB). In fact there is a trial and more info here.

20. killarkai

Original Member

clanlib?

anyone played around with clanlib? http://www.clanlib.org/
    it's cross platform and free, but doesn't seem that popular.