Where's Phil Steinmeyer?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by killarkai, May 6, 2007.

1. killarkai

Original Member

I used to read his blog and posts on Indiegamer way before I came out to do this indie stuff, and even played the flash version of his next game Banana Bay. No activity of him for a long time now... neither is his game released.

2. mooktown

Original Member

funny, I've wondered this myself a few times, first time was when banana bay didn't surface (I thought he had just got lazy or was suffering feature-creep) but his blog hasn't been getting updated either. Perhaps something in his personal life has blocked his work life. (as can quite easily happen!) :(

3. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

Yea, I noticed that hasn't been around either. My guess is that he went and got an IT job somewhere. :eek:

Tom

4. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

I read a game design article in Game Developer that mentioned his blog and it reminded me that I hadn’t heard from him in a while. Maybe he is just focusing on making games rather than talking about making them. I usually drop off the forums for the last 2 months just before my game ships. Let's hope he is doing the same.

5. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

I'm fine.

It's kind of nice to be missed - thanks for your concern.

Re: Banana Bay - For a long time, it was held up by the music - it took an inordinately long time to get the music contract resolved, and unfortunately, I'd held off on starting that process until very late in the dev. cycle.

That's been resolved for a while now, but in the meantime, I've gotten distracted by what amounts to a personal project unrelated to games and not really IT related, for that matter. Once I finish THAT project, I plan to return to Banana Bay and get it wrapped up and out.

The nice thing about casual games is that they're not really technology driven, so I think it doesn't hurt too bad to put something on the shelf for a while and then resume. That said, I haven't really been playing other casual games for the last few months, so I'll likely want to do a heads up and see what innovations have happened in the biz lately.

I debated keeping my blog up-to-date with the non-casual games things that I've been pursuing, but have decided for now to keep it mainly focused on casual games, and thus, dormant of late.

Now go ask John Raptis what's been taking HIM so long :)

#5 Phil Steinmeyer, May 7, 2007
    Last edited: May 7, 2007
  6. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Hi, I'm almost done. Two releases in the next four months, bub, maybe three!

7. Spaceman Spiff

Original Member

Oh Great. Ok. My credit card is at the ready. My kids (3, 6) are *still* playing the heck out of Chuzzle (and Talismania, and Bookworm Adventures, but Peggle seems to have dropped off lately....) . We had to set up a second Kids computer to stem the fighting...

Seriously, good luck with your releases.

8. Stu

Stu
    Original Member

For that matter, where the hell is Cletus Clay?

9. Sharpfish

Original Member

I want to know where 'Dr Germ 2' is personally... ;)

10. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

*Pshaw*. You guys and your short term "wanting". I want to know where Aquaria 5 is.

11. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Currently "on hold" while I sort some stuff out, but hopefully re-emerging in a rather exciting and re-envigourated form soon! Some of you who were at GDC may have seen it about.

12. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Aztec Jewels of Cletus matching square game? Cletus' Back Country BBQ Dash? MCC... mystery case cletus??

13. Dan MacDonald

I saw it about!

14. lexaloffle

Indie Author

Its new form is even more re-envigourated than that. The new Cletus transcends traditional single-format gaming; It's a hybrid meatspace/cyberspace group experience. Players are invited to capture 'Sightings' found in real-world envionments, document them with their phone's camera and other electronic devices, and send them back to a central hub where the information is filtered and mashed up into an explorable, persistent trans-media world. Each player is free to decide their own concept of 'Cletus' which inhabits this world, and what kind of 'Clay' they are made from.

You may think that Dan was just posting like usual, but that's actually him playing the beta.

15. svero

I see I see... So what anthony is saying is that in a way all of us are made of clay... that's very deep and not coincidentally exactly my fourth guess after Mystery Case Cletus.

16. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

And I think it is being marketed by Huhcorp.

-Tom

17. simonh

Indie Author

OK, where's Anthony Flack? :confused:

18. Sirrus

Original Member

A lot of us oldies have seemed to wane in readership ;)

19. Pyabo

Original Member

Or at least postership... or... whatever you'd call it.

20. datxcod

Original Member

Yep pretty sad, I used to read about the latest stuff from the old guys, it seems that with all the acquisitions by the big boys taking place and hit games released the forum is too small for them now. ;)