Where to go next with a concept?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by The Unconventional King, Aug 20, 2016.

1. The Unconventional King

My boyfriend and I are currently designing a game and we're on our way to getting a finished concept, we just don't know what to do next. We've talked about pitching our idea to developers but because we're just two teenage nerds, we don't think we'd be taken seriously. My boyfriend has suggested entering the BAFTA YDG in the hope that we win, we'd have an award winning idea then but I'm not so keen on that plan. What should we do?

2. Exorta

Exorta New Member

Probably learning to program your game yourself or hire a developer if you have the money, create a minimum viable product, and taking it to a publisher. Unity isn't that hard :)

3. GrischaG

GrischaG New Member

Programming is just one part. You might need 3D models, animations, textures, sounds and so on. So if you just have a conzept and nothing you can do for realization thats a problem.
    Think over your project and list every skill you need from other people for realisation.
    With this list and your conzept you can ask in forums like this.

Try it out, nothing to loose ;)

4. zadig

zadig New Member

Create a proof of concept, a small demo... If you can deal with the creation of game content, great. If you cannot, there's always people to hire - assuming you have the money - or you can stick with free assets, there's a lot of good stuff for free. Just read licenses regarding the use of such assets to be sure you are not stealing someone else's art.
    The only way you can convince someone already in the industry to use your concept is to know this someone. Otherwise you will have to program a little and put some personal effort in it.
    The thing is (and please don't think I'm diminishing your concept) there are tons of good game ideas out there. And they are not worth much since what sells a game is not the idea, but the finished product. Terrible game ideas and / or plots sometimes sell a lot because the visuals are great, the marketing was heavy enough etc. Some great games fall into obscurity for the opposite reasons and, sometimes, great games with great graphics, plot, mechanics etc also don't succeed.
    Serious game developers don't care that much for an idea. A proof of concept can gather the attention of people and also proves that you are willing to sacrifice your most important possession (time) to see your creation come to life.
    About creating a simple game etc, there are tons of material, engines, both free and payed, easy and not so easy... It is still hard work, but comparing to how things were, it has never been so easy.