Where should I start? Platform, language,api's?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by luke71933, Mar 31, 2014.

1. luke71933

luke71933 New Member

Hi,

I am 15 years old still at secondary school finishing it in 2months time. I have learned Object oriented java at my school so, that is the only programming knowledge I have. I really love programming and would like to once become a game developer/software developer and also make games for ios and maybe android. I need to know where to start so maybe in a years time I could release my first game/app. What is the path I need to take what books to read what languages and API's to learn before stepping into ios.

So I would like to one day make games and sell them and make some money and maybe even be my full time job.Which platform should I make my first game for and maybe get some money from it instead of having a part time summer job. iOS, Android,Xbox,Windows,Mac OS X, btw I have both mac and windows pc.What books should I read to get me started to make my first game ? If i choose java route and develop a 2d platformer game in java for windows and mac, is there a way i can sell it(cheaply lik 5$).I saw the fim indie game the movie and got me motivated as i am an indie developer too. Also I am willing to pay a few bucks to buy some sprites for my game and make it look better.

Thankyou

2. God

God New Member

I say Java is a great language to learn for game development. Especially how now mobile is taking over. Java is a universal language and you write once run everywhere. Save your money and learn free on youtube/blogs/websites there is tut on info out there. I say start by learning Java and make your 1st game with it. Its also never good to limit yourself to just the coding side of game development. Learn how to create your own art/sound/ideas/etc so you never have to depend on a lazy bum to do the work. The sooner you start the better that means now or never.

3. luke71933

luke71933 New Member

Do you have any idea how to sell a java made game? Which game api/library should I choose?

4. luke71933

luke71933 New Member

Also The tutorials I have found do not explain what they are doing in detail and I cant catch up well ,they just write the code, thats why I prefer a book to learn from. Should I use libgdx as a game library? Do you have any idea how I can sell my platformer game for cheap like $2.

5. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'm in a minority as the last time I looked I didn't get along with it, but based on what the masses are currently doing I'd say you'd be crazy to overlook Unity.

6. Neoprofessor

Neoprofessor New Member

Unity is a big leap. I'm currently learning it but I use Construct 2 to develop my games and have found it to the best in it's class, powerful, extensible with JavaScript, and aggressively updated with new features....definitely worth a look. www.scirra.com

I currently have 6 HTML5 mobile web games that I've developed and another much higher level pseudo 3D game still under development that you can check out my projects here...

www.neoprofessor.com

7. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I've been wanting to try Construct 2 to see how powerful it is, but haven't had much time.

8. Crichton333

Crichton333 New Member

Give a shot at Construct 2 or Stencyl. Both are more of a visual tools for game making.

9. Macro

Macro New Member

If you want to learn more about coding then I would learn C# and mess around with XNA or TAO (Open GL for .NET), this will get you up and running quickly and give you most of the stuff you would need to start on something simple.

If you want to learn more about developing games then I would just get unity and start playing around with that, trying to make simple games or mess with the pre-made assets. Once you know how to translate/move models, animate models, spawn and despawn objects you can make almost any primitive game quite easily.