What's your legacy game?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by SteveZ, Oct 8, 2010.

1. SteveZ

Indie Author

If there was one game you can create where people can remember you by, what kind of game would it be?

For me, I don't have a specific game mechanics or theme yet, but a legacy game for me would be mass appealing innovative indie pc game that the public highly embraces. It would be a game people talk about for years, discuss on forums, write on wikis, and reviewed endlessly. Examples of my kind of indie legacy games are snood, bejeweled (the casual market were still nascent then), and minecraft.

So, what is your legacy game?

2. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

A good legacy for me would be a game celebrated as being one of the best moddable games, and enjoying a lifespan of maybe 10 years. If it grew a healthy modding community, with fan made forums devoted to that, and people making their own editing tools, etc.

It would not be about the esteem as much as it would be about me finding a lot of pleasure seeing what other people can create with my game. ie, Seeing how people enjoy it and are being creative with it, and knowing it has been worthwhile :)

3. meds

meds New Member

Isn't that what literally every indie game dev wants?

4. Syrus

Syrus New Member

For me, it is the game i'am currently making :)

Or basicaly, create something invovative that is often ignored but holds great potential if done right.

- definetly cooperative where every player in game feels equally important and players can recognize individual success in group, that will ultimately lead to success of entire group
    - tactics and planing coupled with improvization and adrenaline
    - game that makes player important in every aspect of that word when playing online

Something like that :)

5. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I don't care what it is as long as it makes $1,000,000+. Because that way I won't have to do it any more.

6. Wrote A Game or Two

Wrote A Game or Two New Member

LOL, winner.

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

A good RPG :) not too much innovative, but with the good old feeling of the first CRPG.
    Or a full 3d adventure game like Heavy Rain :D

8. richtaur

Indie Author

Sorry to hear that :( I just want to make enough money to ensure that I can spend as much of my time as possible making games. Guess I feel the opposite!

My "dream game" is some sort of retro RPG (action or turn-based, love 'em both) with a focus on multiplayer gameplay and content creation.

9. Musenik

Original Member

I want to earn millions AND keep making new games!

10. lennard

Ditto.

The games I am working on this Fall, along with Dungeon Demon (in the long term) are the titles I have always wanted to work on. Millions would be nice but kind of beside the point as long as the roof doesn't leak, bills are paid and we are well fed.

Glad I worked hard and saved early on though...

11. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I'd rather be remembered for a board game than a computer game. The next Settlers of Catan.

12. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

I'm working on it, but it's taking me a long time, because there's so much to do, and so many things for me to learn. It will be an isometric real-time strategy-RPG in a fantasy setting, with a strong influence from comics/graphical novels.

:eek: Hmm, I don't know if that description even makes any sense - and it certainly doesn't do the idea justice :rolleyes:

Really? So, why do you make games then? It's one of the worst possible options for getting rich quick, I would imagine :D

13. meds

meds New Member

Like most get quick rich schemes it is unlikely to succeed (but does work for the lucky few). However as far as risk/reward get rich quick by making a game is probably one of the more better get rich schemes out there (though that's not saying a lot :cool:)

14. Desktop Gaming

I've been doing it for 24 years now, and still not rich. So.... nothing quick about that!

I'm just getting too old and cynical for it to go on much longer.

15. princec

Indie Author

Hmm...
    I mustard mitt I actually can't stand programming these days :) I'd rather just tell someone what to do. Still games though. I still find making them interesting.

Cas :)

16. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes coding sucks! Next year going to partner with some real coders and I suspect my games will be much better :)

17. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

I've been doing it for 26, and still find that making games is enough reward in itself - I don't need to make money off it to feel that it is worth my while. But we're all different, I guess... My point was more that if you don't enjoy making games, and only do it for the money, there are easier ways of making money.

18. Desktop Gaming

I have bills to pay. And if I'm not making money from it, it isn't worth my time. I value that particular commodity.

19. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

First person syndicate. But with more social leanings. Which is why I'm writing it.

20. TraderEddy

TraderEddy New Member

A huuuuuge MMO.