what's the best way to produce "punch/hit" sound ?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by yanuart, Dec 15, 2004.

1. yanuart

Original Member

Hi, I've been messing around with my keyboard, midi for awhile but nothing imitates the sound of a "punch"..
    the only option i got left is i'm trying to record the sound myself.. but nothing come close to the sound fx they make in those fighting games..
    Or is there a sound library specialized on "fighting fx" sound which i can buy ??

2. BlueSky

Original Member

The pros...

There are lots on CD's, but I think the pros all use a cold slab of steak/meat and punch it. It produces a nice 'smack' sound.

3. princec

Indie Author

In the old days they used to twat a side of beef with a plank.

Cas :)

4. yanuart

Original Member

what cds ?? maybe i need to google more often these days :confused:

5. Raptisoft

Indie Author

The joy of international differences in slang. :)

6. milo

Original Member

There was a documentary on the foley work for the Indiana Jones movies. If I remember correctly, they used a wet head of cabbage, a leather belt, and some celery (for crunchiness). They basically held the head of cabbage in one hand, and whomped it with the belt-and-celery using the other hand. Seemed to produce a pretty good "splat" noise.

7. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yeah... that's a hard one. You could buy a cheap sound off the 'net, or download a free one. There are a few freely downloadble punch sounds that I've seen (some not for commercial use) which are a good place to start from. I picked up a basic sound CD for about $20 and now have a ton of low quality sounds I tend to start with. With a bit of tweaking I can make just about anything. It's a good thing to grab, if you can find one.

8. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Here's a few from soundrangers.com not that great but not bad.

punches

9. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

10. Pete

Original Member

Many years ago I had a job loading frozen carcasses into trucks, I'd vent some man-anger on them when I was pissed off (pretty much the whole time I worked there).

They made a really good SMACK sound when you landed a good punch on them, but it is a little too good if you know what I mean, if you've ever actually witnessed someone being "king hit" (Punched very hard when they don't know it's comming) it's not pleasent.

I'd go for the cabbage belt thing :)

11. Tubular

Original Member

If you record the celery, mix in a track of yourself saying "oof..." I'm sure it'll help. :D

Or you could try these CDs:
    http://www.indiesfx.co.uk/
    The one under "fantasy" has punch sounds, though I haven't heard it myself.

12. yanuart

Original Member

ugh.. another tough one to find..
    the sound of "something sharp slashing through your flesh".. you know when you stab or swing a sword to the oponnent...
    this one is tougher than the punch sound... I can't find it on the net :confused:

13. princec

Indie Author

Scissors?

Cas :)

14. Ricardo C

Original Member

I would mix the sound of metal-on-metal (the sort you hear in movies when someone draws a knife, even though there's nothing there for the blade to clash with ;)), with a muffled sort of punch sound.

15. Sunshine

Original Member

Are you making the Martha Stewart video game?

As for "twatting a side of beef", Im not even going to touch that one! :eek:

16. yanuart

Original Member

nah.. i'm making a side scrolling fighting game.. that's why I need those kinda sound.. :D

17. ErikH2000

Original Member

Find some grass clippers or larger shears. Record the sound of them closing and opening. Get a bunch of takes and find the best ones. Adjust pitch to make it sound right. I've tried this--it worked great.

If you are looking for the gross-out sound of flesh ripping, hmm... I imagine just get a big bowl of something goopy like oatmeal and mush your hands around in it for a minute or so. Then go back in editing and pick out the part that sounds like the best kind of carnage to you--clip it, adjust pitch, maybe mix it in with the shears sound, and I think you got it.

The other thing is, if you are going to do this foley stuff right, make a big session out of it, have some fun, and record craploads of stuff. Save everything that sounds maybe good and don't worry about finding an immediate use. I had a nice session about 5 years ago and I am still finding good uses for all the delightful sounds I got out of it. My favorite was produced by dropping an aluminum curtain rod on its end so that it made this echoing vibration. With editing mods, it became the sound of my monsters dieing, and I've gotten nice compliments on it from users.

-Erik

18. Bluecat

Original Member

I believe that the cutting through flesh sounds are made by using a knife slashing through the fleshy part of a pumpkin. You might find that using a watermelon and stabbing it with a kitchen knife will work as well.

You can enrich certain sounds by hanging the mike in a toilet bowel and performing the action in there. (With extreme care of course.)

19. Badman

Original Member

Try Fat's tips...

The Fat Man's book "The Fat Man on Game Audio" has a bunch of tips and tricks in it for making sound effects. It's also a very fun book to read.

20. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

IndieSFX set 5 has some of the sounds your looking for including a flesh cut sound ("sliced", well it's one like I used for a few old Amiga RPG's I did). The punch sounds aren't very good though. The next IndieSFX disc (exp. Jan or Feb 2005) will be themed around hits/impacts, and will include punch sounds, thuds, slices, sword clangs, bullets into concrete/wood/metal, hits on spaceship shields, other arcade hits, and explosions (there are some explosions on disc 1 but those are very synthetic sounding, more like 8-bit arcade games).

Mark