What would you call this genre?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Scoper, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Scoper

Indie Author

I am looking for a name of a genre. Or maybe not a genre but just a game mechanic that seems to have become the primary defining feature of many mobile games.

Games of this kind are characterized by:
    - A battle phase
    - An upgrade phase
    - Many different currencies, upgrades, bonuses, cards, special items, etc.
    - Extremely easy and simple gameplay in the battle phase with partially (or entirely) automated controls.
    - Outcome of battles determined not by player skill, but by upgrades selected in the upgrade phase, and more importantly, on how much real-life money is spent.
    - Free to play with In-App-Purchases

I can't actually remember the names of these games. I have just seen people play them. And I remember having downloaded such games, uninstalled them after ten minutes, and forgotten about them. The only game I remember the name of is "Mortal Kombat X" (for mobile), because it was based on an established popular console title. But to my great surprise they changed the genre from fighting game to this... other genre...

I would call it "Endless Upgrader", but I am thinking it must have an official name.
    So what is this genre called anyway?

2. Jeremy X Universe

Jeremy X Universe New Member

Hello Scoper, I believe this genre is basically called, "Strategy Games"
    where you need to use strategies to do a lot of the concepts you just mentioned and choose wisely.
    I believe you are talking about games such as Mobile Strike, Clash of Clans, Asphalt 8, and Animation Throwdown. In these games you can upgrade, you get bonuses for logging in, win cards after a battle, and so on.

I hope I answered what I believe you were asking. :)

3. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Sounds like it has elements of "upgrade games", "CCG (collectible cards game)" and "F2P".

F2P is a business model as much as it is a genre as the business model strongly affects how the game mechanics are used / deployed. A lot of games mix multiple genres nowadays so I wouldn't look too much for a specific name.

4. Scoper

Indie Author

I think you are right - "Upgrade Game" seems to be the term I am looking for. Although a google search also suggests games in which upgrading is just a major mechanic and not the primary / only mechanic.

Yes, I used to work on a big F2P game (not an upgrade game) and I know how important the business model is in design decisions. F2P monetization strategy has come to play such a strong role in development that it often defines the core game mechanics - making conventional genre definitions obsolete.