What Tool to create a Youtube Trailer ?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by ManuTOO, Sep 11, 2012.

1. ManuTOO

Original Member

Hello,

what tool do/would you use to create a Trailer to be shown on Youtube ?

I like Windows Live Movie Maker, except it can save only in .wmv (which is noticeably inferior to H264's .mp4/.mkv).
    So I wonder if there's anything else that can match ease of use of WLMM, price (it's free ;) ) and features (there's a good bunch of effects/transitions to choose from, but it obviously lacks some stuff) ..?

I tried Sony Vegas as well, but for some unknown reason, preview & rendering of effects is slow as hell (something like less than 1 fps).

#1 ManuTOO, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I would perservere with Sony Vegas. I use that, and FRAPS and both do a sterling job of capturing and editing game footage.

You could try dropping the render quality to speed things up. I find that even draft quality is good.

3. ManuTOO

Original Member

Thanks for the input.
    I'll do some more tries with Vegas, but from what I've seen, jumping from 1 fps to 1.5-2 fps by fiddling with GPU Accel On/Off & Preview quality, despite the 50-100% performance increase, still let me far from something usable... ;)
    It's slow without any video, only having an animated text or background blocks the rendering. If only video, it's alright.
    I guess it's a bug due to my system, maybe it's related to my GPU drivers, I'll try to update them...

4. lennard

I've had luck with the very inexpensive Screen Cast O Matic (http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/) for making dungeon editing tutorials for Dungeon Demon.

I need to find something to merge video streams and add effects - my plan has been to use WMM.

Anybody have a favorite tool for capturing video of themselves using the laptop camera?

5. dannthr

dannthr New Member

FRAPS and a really old version of Vegas worked well for me. My Lifecam (desktop) came with software that lets me record video--I haven't tried synch'ing them in a full video, but you would need a multi-track video editing program to combine them afterward.

You would also need to SLATE to synchronize the disparate streams.

I have used FRAPS to create HD quality tutorials for my students and record audio on a nice mic with some good mic pres--text, cuts, and effects added in Vegas afterward.

6. lennard

I'm bumping a useful thread.

7. Teq

Teq
    Original Member

Definitely a useful thread, thanks for bumping it :) Which version of Vegas do you guys use? (Movie Studio, MS Platinum, Pro, etc) I've a few development videos which I will be sharing nearer to launch and it would be great to have a play with this before the trailer itself is ready.

8. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

The original question focused on Windows, but since this is a useful thread, I'll share what I do on the Mac. I use iShowU HD for capturing video of my games, and then I just use iMovie to build my game trailers and upload them to YouTube. Both are easy to use and are loaded with features, and iMovie came free with my Mac.

9. G-Factor

G-Factor New Member

I use Fraps to record the game then use Adobe Premier to edit the footage. It's a very easy program to use (I bought the lite version) but it did run kinda slow on my computer. The pleasantly surprising thing is that you can upload to Youtube directly from Premier and it does a pretty good job of applying settings/filters on the video. I didn't have to choose video size, filters or anything. I just hit 'Upload to Youtube' and Premier processed my project timeline and took care of the rest.