What made *you* become an indie? And if you didn't yet, why not?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by dcfedor, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It was neither an insult nor a compliment, just an honest observation. Why Nexic takes exception to that and everything else I say, I don't know and really don't care tbh, but it just gets tiresome.

2. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Well I think it's a fair request to ask for an option that suits you when you fill up a poll though, especially a poll that is advertised, well, here, and not to the other places that you visit where nobody makes exception (must be boring lol)

3. Nexic

Indie Author

If you're paying them a salary, they aren't indies, they are your employees.

If you don't want people to argue with you, then stop making bold sweeping statements. Just about everything you say runs 100% counter to my own experiences, so of course I'm going to call you out on it. If I said "it's impossible to make money on the appstore" would you argue with me?

4. richtaur

Indie Author

I'm not actually indie yet because I don't have the means to be (I'm a fulltime game developer but technically an employee). A friend and I made an indie game attached to a legitimate LLC, and though it got some attention, it didn't make enough money to pay our salaries. Turned out to be an excellent resume though! ;)

Seems clear that the primary reason to go independent is freedom. Obviously creative freedom is the biggest piece of the puzzle but to me freedom of working schedule and location are pretty huge too. I adore working from home (I've got a kickass home setup) and I hate commuting/being in uncomfortable offices. I currently do not have those freedoms.

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes, definitely. I actually meant "be free" also in this way. The biggest advantage beside creative freedom is waking up whenever you want, work how many hours you want and never drive anymore in town traffic! :)

6. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

I second that - the game budget argument must be an all-time record of disagreement as far as i'm concerned lol

#26 Indinera, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  7. Applewood

Ok, four then. We only have one employee since the other one emigrated.

Arguing I can deal with, it's the nit picking that gets old. I would say that with exceptions its impossible to make (proper) money from the AppStore. For every success you point out, I could doubtless find 100 failures. (EDIT: Done the math, for each success I could actually point out about 3000 failures)

When I make bold sweeping statements, it doesn't matter if your experience runs contrary. The point of a sweeping statement is to highlight the other 99% who actually do fit it, and point out that exceptions are the 1%. Yet you seem to take it personally and instead of saying "Hey what about me" you usually just say my statement is crap or something.

I'm gonna put this back on you. I suggested that education->self employed is a trivial minority special case. Instead of taking a pop at me, why don't you go gather some stats, prove your obvious bias and them shove that in my face?

#27 Applewood, Aug 29, 2011
  8. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

What does it matter though? Bold statements tend to indicate it bothers you that those "exceptions" are actually expressing themselves...

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes I agree. It may not be intentional but I remember many occasions in which you, Applewood, use a typical tone which I *think* (not native English speaker so might misunderstand) is somehow confrontational (is late here so can't find a better term). Like when some months ago you said "I won't even bother doing a PC version of GLWG since will sell 0". I think all it matters is the tone. You can say "I am thinking doing a PC port will be pointless since from MY EXPERIENCE, selling directly on PC is too hard."
    For me is not a matter of who is right or wrong, the statistics, etc (like if you win a prize if in the end you're right lol), but the overall tone of all the posts you make.

10. Nexic

Indie Author

And likewise, I'm sure for every successful ex game industry vet turned indie, I'm sure I could also find 100 failures who took the same path. It's no secret that the success rate is low no matter what background you have so it's a moot point.

Why is the burden of proof on me? Why don't you gather some stats before making the bold statements in the first place?

As for your complaint about me always starting arguments with you, I suggest you scroll back up through the thread and read the early posts. You'll clearly see that you're the one who initiated the disagreement.

11. Applewood

Because I'm happy with the statement? It's you trying to disprove it - so go right ahead. I've looked up ahead and don't see anywhere where I started disagreeing either. My first post is #8 so go ahead, point out my disagreeing. In my limited vocabulary I would class my statement as an attempted explanation. This has gotten bizarre again. Funny how it always happens when one of half a dozen people show up.

As to the thing about being confrontational? Not really. If you can find anything vaguely rude about my initial comment, please do explain and if there's anything to apologise for I'll glady do so. I do get confrontational when people start taking me for an idiot, especially as they're always strangely anonymous.

#31 Applewood, Aug 29, 2011
  12. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

You do not appear very open-minded on some things imo, not necessarily in this thread in particular, but I've felt so with past discussions. Somehow I think you associate people that do not fit the "theoretical mould" as silly outcasts that should be put back on the right track... better keep cool about it, not try to prove right or wrong, the net is vast and each dev has his own story.

13. Reives Freebird

Reives Freebird New Member

On a lighter note-- Really? No one else went indie so they can work in their underpants. . . ?

14. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

You know what could settle this argument?

A survey!

PS - :p <-- biting my tongue.

15. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

aha, it's too warm in here for underpants O__o

16. dcfedor

dcfedor New Member

I'll get on it!

17. Jack Norton

Indie Author

18. Applewood

I'll concede to the first part. After 25+ years I think I've seen it all tbh and I do get frustrated when people treat me like I'm some n00b, especially when they think they have all the right answers and I know from experience that they don't. But whatever, I don't know why certain people wind me up so much either tbh.

@Jack, nice mood lightener. :)

19. Nexic

Indie Author

Actually, it's a thinly veiled insult directed at those who didn't do things the way you did them. You're a pro at posting bait like this, then crying about it when people dare to argue with you.

Likewise.

As for the anonymous thing, I would of thought anyone who's been here for as long as you would know who I am. I had my identity in my sig for 6+ years, I only recently removed it once my own players started lurking these boards.

20. Applewood

Hmmm. I actively court interaction with my players. As for the rest, whatever - see what you want to see.