What languages / libraries do you use? + Hi

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by match1, Jun 4, 2006.

1. match1

Original Member

As you can see, this is my first post here...

I write software for a living; have been for a long time. I worked with many languages, from assembly to Java, and on many platforms, from embedded devices to powerful unix servers. But it's always the boring kind - and I'm not sure it's something I can bear to do for much longer, or at least that's what it feels like sometimes.

I've never actually written a game, other than simple simple stuff like a tetris or sokoban clones. But I'd like to try. I do understand how much work is involved; in fact I've downloaded quite a few games just to see what a finished product's supposed to look like (and for the most part, I'm impressed).

So... how do I get started, technically? My two favorite languages are Java and Python - is either enough for a polished, completed product? What languages do you use? What libraries? Yes, I know C++, but really don't care for it (I'm fine with C, though).

Any kind of feedback would be great - and I'll probably read anything you post a link to.

2. princec

Indie Author

Java works for me, and a few others, so if you're happy with it, stick with it.

Cas :)

3. Gilzu

Moderator Original Member

I think you'd be best at relying at any good game framework from popcap's to ptk, or even SDL.

Rather than messing with DX / OpenGL, you'd be able to concentrate more on hands-on-game-making instead of being stuck at building your own framework/engine.

Something i've noticed with people just starting out their first game, is that they get stuck on building their own "game engine"/"framework" and forget about the game itself.

with a ready-made package you can get a quick-learned solution, you won't have to spend more time reinventing the wheel, use code that thousands of other people tried, enjoy great community & developer support - and most importantly, allow you to focus on the game itself instead of meddling with DX / OpenGL.

Good luck!

4. match1

Original Member

princec:

Do you use any specific (non-Sun) Java libraries or tools? How does the code make the transition from class files to (at least on a windows PC) a standalone executable? (Or is a JVM / etc required?)

Gilzu:

I don't mind libraries/frameworks doing as much work for me as possible - I already know I can code...

I looked at the popcap framework - they don't even mention (that I could find, at least) what languages / compilers / platforms are supported.

PTK looks great - C++ only too, though, and for some reason the documentation download link isn't a link...

If I decide to go with C++, do I have any options other than microsoft's compiler, assuming development on a windows machine?

Everybody else:

Please keep the suggestions coming.

5. oNyx

Original Member

He's using the mightly lwjgl.

If you stay clear from awt (which isnt that difficult with lwjgl) you can do a native compilation via gcj for win and linux with minimal bloat. For mac its not neccessary, because you have java 1.4 there... so just an app bundle does the trick.

Check kev's tutorials:
    http://www.cokeandcode.com/tutorials

And...
    http://www.javagaming.org
    http://lwjgl.org/forum/
    #lwjgl at freenode
    etc

6. jankoM

Indie Author

One vote for PTK. Its great IMO!

7. Jesse Aldridge

Original Member

I just switched from C++/SDL to Java a few months ago and have been pretty happy with it. If you want to make really small applet games the standard Java graphics should be sufficient. I've used LWJGL also, and it works well, but OpenGL is not exactly easy to get working smoothly if your not used to that sort of thing. And support for applets seems to be only theoretical at the moment.

Since you mentioned Python, you probably also want to take a look at PyGame.

8. Gilzu

Moderator Original Member

its usually the minGW freeware complier, but if you do use it, i highly recommend on using the following development IDE's

I'm using Bloodshed's Dev-C++ ( http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html ), and I prefer it even though i have a licenced copy of VC++ 6

and I recently heard about Code::Blocks
    http://www.codeblocks.org/

I'm C++ centered, but if youre more java oriented, go with: http://www.eclipse.org/

9. NemesisPica

Original Member

Popcap framework uses C++,compilers are Visual Studio series(VC6 or .NET)
    and needs to install DirectX first.That is what I know.

10. jmc

jmc
    Original Member

One vote for the popcap framework too here, i saw that they were hiring mac programmers, so they're probably going to come up with a mac version soon ;)

Jmc.

11. NemesisPica

Original Member

Really? what I hope is they will deal with the game portable issue.
    Now all games powered by popcap framework can be played on Windows only.
    The developers have ever said they had no intention about mac market.

12. jmc

jmc
    Original Member

13. dmikesell

Original Member

It never ceases to amaze me how threads like this almost invariably result in scads of advice being given with absolutely no indication of what type of game the OP wants to write. 2D or 3D, arcade/shooter/puzzle/RPG/text adventure/etc, PC/cellphone/handheld/browser, Windows/Mac/Linux/all of the above, etc.

May as well ask "how long is a piece of string"?

14. match1

Original Member

oNyx:
    Thanks for the gcj pointer - I can't believe I somehow managed to miss it. Wow. I'll try playing with it (compile a couple of swing apps I wrote). lwjgl Also sounds great.

Jesse Aldridge:
    I'm interested in standalone games, not applets (that sokoban clone I wrote a long time ago was an applet, by the way). I'll look into pyGame - there's a lot of info on the site, so I won't even ask you anything about it.

Gilzu:
    I'll also check out minGW, and the editor; I do know about Eclipse, since I use Java for non game stuff.

NemesisPica, jmc:
    If the popcap framework can't be used with any other compilers, like Gilzu's minGW, I'm afraid it's out of the running, but I do hope you get your mac version soon.

dmikesell:
    2D initially for sure, maybe 3D for a second project. Action games - arcade/shooter/puzzle all use the same techniques on a basic level; for text adventures I'd use Inform, especially since version 7 is out ( http://www.inform-fiction.org/ ). PCs are my main (initial, that is) target, though cell phones are really intriguing; since most people use windows that would be my main area of interest, with macs a second (once I have a product I'm satisfied with on a PC, which may be never, I'll see about making a mac version).

Oh, and strlen("a piece of string").

15. dmikesell

Original Member

If you're definitely doing 2D and you like Python, PyGame would be a great choice IMO.

16. Cartman

Indie Author

I recommend BlitzMax. There are a few people here that use it. They have some great add ons that provide everything you can possibly need. And like PTK it's cross platform compatible.

17. Deux

Original Member

I am really fond of BlitzMax too :)

It is a very powerful and fun language, and there are some awesome mods(libs) people have made and are making for it.

18. Mike Wiering

Original Member

Another vote for Blitz here. Just having everything in one package, ready to use, really helps to keep you concentrated on your game. It's also great for experimenting with, like writing a tiny program in a few minutes, just to try something out.

19. electronicStar

Original Member

One vote for Blitz3d here. It's so powerful it's ridiculous. The only thing it doesn't manage being last generation 3D shaders and effects. But it can produce up to UT2004 quality graphics(with a lot of work:D).
    You can do any kind of engine with it, pure 2d, 3d based 2D, 3D. Of course you need to have enough experience with game engines to create your framework (you can still have some good basic games with the built-in functions though)
    Advantages compared to blitzMax are: a working 3D engine, DX7 compatibility (more compatible with older computers)
    Big Con: it's a basic...

As for Java, it's a good and powerful language but there are HUGE obstacles to overcome with with distribution.

20. princec

Indie Author

That's just so much FUD! The obstacles now are trivial.

Cas :)