What is everyones current project

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by J&E Electronics, Sep 23, 2004.

1. EpicBoy

Original Member

I'm sort of hacking around in C# and Managed DirectX, getting a feel for the way things work and learning .NET along the way.

2. Rod Hyde

Original Member

I just took a week off to go on vacation with my family. Before going away, I used Python to put together a simple game for my 3 year old daughter, which she called "Super Tiger". It's not at all polished and hardly sophisticated, consisting of nothing more than moving the mouse into sprites made of scanned-in versions of her drawings, but the target market (of one) loves the game.

Strangely enough, there's actually some mileage in the gameplay, so I just took the decision to develop it further while I work on the design of "Pirates: Kings of the Ocean" (working title) which I envisage as being a bit like Cannon Fodder on the Spanish Main.

--- Rod

3. MrPhil

Original Member

My projects

I'm building a Fantasy Football website and on the back burner I have a sci-fi strategy game. Recently switched gears to the FF project because it would be a faster path to an income stream so I won't have to work full-time. There is only so long I can work 8 hours days, come home eat, work 3 hours on my projects, do chores, sleep and repeat. Thank god for the occasional Enemy Territory rampage.

Good luck everyone.

4. simonh

Indie Author

I'm in the final few days of Super Hamster Ball's development - the game code is complete, and 99% of the graphics, just got to model a couple of things and slot them in.

Also working on the website, which is looking quite good.

I have to say, it feels damn good to have nearly finished a game. Exciting times :D

5. tolik

Original Member

Woah? A re-ripoff? Poor monkeys.

6. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

My current project is called Taskforce: The Mutants of October Morgane. It's an X-COM like game, a squad level turn based game where you select a team of soldiers, kit them out and send them on a mission to assassinate someone or blow something up or something like that. I've done a few games like this in the past. Screenshot

Mark
    Cornutopia Games
    http://www.cornutopia.net

7. robleong

Indie Author

I'm doing another puzzle game, but it's too early to know how it'll eventually look so no screenshots yet! Won't be finished before 2005 due to time commitments elsewhere. :(

8. tentons

Indie Author

It looks sweet! But that name's a mouthful. :) What 3d engine are you using?

9. mathgenius

Original Member

Axis Runner.. it's a 3D action game with some wierd topology (gravity is all relative).

Simon.

10. marcusl

Original Member

Wots Im working on

A few things...

3DG, the 3D engine component to my 2DG freeware 2D SDK

Apartments, my LCP/Sims like game, the first game to use 3DG

MovieFX, a sideline ( :rolleyes: yeah right, taken all my time at the mo..) realtime image and video post processing package.

And in my fulltime job , trying to cram The Movies PC Game onto a handfull of consoles 1/5 of the required power/capability of the minimum spec of the PC version..

Marcus
    www.itsallagame.com

11. tentons

Indie Author

Just curious, but does your employer consider this stuff a conflict of interests?

12. Josquin

Original Member

I did something like that a few years ago-- I used visual basic to create a simple concentration game, but I used my at the time very young children to record all the numbers, shape names, etc... plus cute little things like "uh oh" and "that's amazing!". We had a lot of fun with it, the kids loved it, and the grandparents adored it. Those recordings are now a bit of a treasure at our house. One of you guys should create a customizable game that prompts parents to record their children's art and voices to be placed into simple games. Or has someone already done that?

Nick

13. Ratboy

Original Member

I'm doing a whole mess of sidescroller background tiles for a client in California. It's a refreshing change of pace from all the 3D work I've done for the past 8 years.

14. Rod Hyde

Original Member

With the prevalence of digital cameras and scanners this wouldn't be too hard to do, as people are already used to the medium. For example, in the case of "Super Tiger", I was already scanning my daughter's artwork to send to her grandparents, so I had an good supply of images.

There are already games (eg, a Disney Princess game that my daughter likes) which will use a photo of a child's face and graft it onto a body, but going the extra step and recording artwork is a good idea, even if the artwork is only used for very simple things like a sliding block puzzle, or billboards on a race track. A neat trick would be to animate the artwork in some way without distorting its original appearance.

--- Rod

15. Gary the Llama

Original Member

I am currently working on a 2D engine in DX9. My first project on it is going to be a remake of Eggerland (known as The Adventures of Lolo here in the US). I will probably end up giving the game away for free since it will just be used for testing the engine out.

16. GBGames

Indie Author

Ah, Lolo. I remember those days...

I also think I remember that the GBA version of it resulted in his name changing. Or someone's name. They did the same thing with Dragon Warrior.

17. GBGames

Indie Author

BTW, in keeping with this thread, my current project:

relearning C++ properly.

It's a bit embarassing to admit that I can't genuinely consider myself much more than a newbie at game development. To be fair to myself, I have done a lot of research on game development, and I have made a Pac-man clone (albeit in QBasic back in 98). Still, I've found that my C++ knowledge was lacking, partly because I found that originally I learned it wrong.

So I am relearning it, properly, and doing much better. Accelerated C++ is an amazing book to read if anyone else is in the same boat. I have always been able to make simple guessing games in C++, but they were always badly written in that if you gave it input that it didn't expect, it would crash or not work properly.

For example, it asks for a range limit (since you will be playing by guessing from 1 to that range), and if you put something that is not an integer, like a double or a character, it would simply crash. Originally, with my poor knowledge, I would have tried to come up with an input class that would test each character to see if it is a numerical value. This would have been overly complicated, and I knew well enough that if this was normal, there would have been a standard library option instead of requiring everyone to make it themselves. With my new knowledge, I found a way to make use of the failstate of cin to test. Now if the user enters a q for quit, the game will quit. If the user enters something other than an int value (char or double) it does what I want it to rather than simply crash.

So I'm going to be proud of my humble accomplishments B-). My next step is simple, text-based a Tic-Tac-Toe game. Baby steps, yes, but I need to take them, and it was only recently when I realized that I had to in order to overcome my previous learning. I do plan on making sure I can extend the TTT game to a graphical version later on (SDL, OpenGL, etc). My challenge to myself: make it so the engine is the same but the interface is interchangeable.

18. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Currently working on (just about to finish) Cellblock Squadrons.
    Some screenies... about 150k each.
    One
    Two
    Three

19. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

For the first time in a year I am NOT working on a Ricochet port or sequel! I worked on Ricochet Lost Worlds for months and after that was launched most of Reflexive went on to work on Wik & The Fable of Souls. But I was stuck working on porting Ricochet Lost Worlds to ActiveX (web version), Xbox, and making a dozen different customized version of the downloadable Windows product with different branding and DRMs. Then after all that was done I went to work on Ricochet: Recharged. Now I am finally making something new but I am not ready to say what.

20. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Sheesh. What a tease! Well 2 can play at that game. I would also like to officially announce that I'm also not working on any Ricochet sequels or add-ons.