What is a Tantrum?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Corman, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Corman

Original Member

For some time we have been flying under the banner of the typical geometrical logo for our company Tantrum Games. To tell you the truth, we are quite sick of it and need something else. We are just trying to figure out what. What/who/why is a Tantrum? We want to have an expressive logo, yet do not quite know what to have. Any ideas, suggestions, or direction would be nice.

#1 Corman, Nov 6, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  2. papillon

Indie Author

.... unfortunately most of the imagery that springs to mind with the word tantrum probably isn't what you want to associate yourself with. :)

Um... Adorable small children swinging off the letters of your name and trying to break them?

3. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Tantrum is a any of a comparatively recent class of Hindu or Buddhist religious literature written in Sanskrit and concerned with powerful ritual acts of body, speech, and mind.

Oh... wait no.. sorry that's Tantric...

Well i tried :)

4. Corman

Original Member

Something dealing with children or a single child for that matter has been presented to us before, but alas we are aiming at a higher aged market than what this would represent us as.

5. Ricardo C

Original Member

You could always design a cutesy mascot and feature it screaming next to the company name.

Sorta like this logo for Argh! Studios:

[​IMG]

EDIT : I guess your previous post negates this possibility. My bad.

6. Corman

Original Member

Tantric... haha, you won't believe how many times people have made this comment/connection out of jest or out of error. It has become sort of an inside joke since it seemed to happen alot at GDC 2003. As for your suggestion Ricardo, we had something like that as one of start sketches offered to us when we has someone try a go out our logo the first time. We might have to go the route of suggestive and associative imagery... what would that be, I do not know... it is hard putting a "feeling" or "action" into an image that works. Keep up with the ideas, they help even if it does not lead to a logo, we can see what people think when they hear "Tantrum".

7. papillon

Indie Author

What I actually think of is a kid lying face-down on the floor of a store, face bright red, fists and feet flailing, screaming that his mommy won't buy him the latest game/toy/ipod/whatever. But as I said, this probably isn't what you want to associate yourself with. :)

8. Corman

Original Member

I think we are going for more of the feeling of a loss of mental balance or composure by an outburst of anger or irritation and less of that of a hissy fit.

9. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Tantrums associate themselves with feelings of fustration.

I do not think it is a positive image.

10. Jesse Aldridge

Original Member

Reminds me of a recent Penny Arcade strip...
    Maybe you could just steal the last frame :D

11. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

I like the name. My pet in WoW was named Tantrum. I would design a mascot that fits with the games your company makes, and make it look angry.

12. FlySim

Indie Author

13. Corman

Original Member

That i didn't know... cool.

14. steve bisson

Original Member

sounds like an angry cartoony bull thats beating on a bongo being furious but still looking cute :)

hehehe sorry its weird but its the image that popped in my mind

15. Corman

Original Member

The thought of a bull by itself springs up a few ideas, thanks... furious good, cute... not so much so.

16. Martoon

Original Member

I know you don't want the association with kids, but when I hear the word "tantrum", this is the image I see. I don't think it's necessarily bad. It's got energy.

17. Corman

Original Member

A tantrum is an emotional outburst where higher brain functions are unable to stop the emotional expression of the lower (emotional and physical) brain functions. So basically playing off the idea that the id (as in ego, superego, and id) is showing through unfiltered in a need-gratification impulse, say like playing a game :). Who thought setting up an image around a name can be so hard... even without such a mascot/image, even just a plain text logo is still hard to get across.