what indie data mining projects are out there?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by wazoo, Jul 13, 2009.

1. wazoo

Original Member

Hey all,

Just because I'm really interested (and catch myself dabbling) in game technology, is there a site / effort out there for data mining what's being used for each release?

We all seem to regularly fall back on the "common knowledge" type of thinking in terms of what type of technology to use for a certain type of project (that we all perpetuate to some degree), but I haven't come across any real hard numbers..

Anyways, just curious if there's already a list somewhere.

thanks!

2. tfernando

tfernando New Member

You're talking about user machine targets, right?

On the flash side of things, Mochiads publishes a 6 month wide snapshot of flash version, os, screen-res, etc.. http://mochiads.com/zeitgeist

-TF

3. Yayyak

Yayyak New Member

On the same note, there is the Steam hardware survey, available at http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Note that it could be biased. I imagine most Steam users (not all, but most) would be FPS gamers with pretty decent specs.

4. wazoo

Original Member

ooo I like that zeitgeist, thanks tfernando!

hah. I must've been drunk when writing that first post.

I'm meaning more on the game development angle side of things. Did you use a homegrown vs. off-the-shelf + customized software? c++ or blitzmax? SDL or DirectX? Allegro or Ogre? Flash or java? Unity or popcap framework? etc..

so I guess a "zeitgeist" from the game creation point of view.