What game Engine you think I should use?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by zmexy, Jun 30, 2015.

1. zmexy

zmexy New Member

I want to start developing a game but I don't know much about the engines out there. I tried to get some information but i got a little bit confused between them so I thought that maybe I could use some help from more experienced guys.
    My game will look much like a PC simulator, with a desktop, icons , involving typing and of course clicking. Because it doesn't really require so much I don't know which engine should i use for it.
    I would really appreciate if anybody could help me with an opinion. Thanks you for your attention.

2. stan

Original Member Indie Author

For a simple 2D game, here are my suggestions:

- the SDL2 library with the C programming language (or C++ if you prefer, or Go or whatever)
    - love2D, requires a bit less "technical" programming than pure SDL2 (but it uses SDL2 under the hood!), programmed in Lua
    - the Godot engine, programmed in a Python-like language and/or C++ (I haven’t used it)

They are all cross-platform (Linux/OSX/Windows) and FOSS (Free/libre and open-source). Godot has features to create GUIs so it might be the best for your project, but there are third-party libraries for SDL to create GUIs too I think.

As always when I talk about love2D, I have to insert a warning that your source code will be very easy to extract and read, so it might be a problem for a commercial project.

3. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

[FONT=Calibri, serif]This question about game engine gets asked so often. I love Unity and I believe it's a good game engine for people beginning.[/FONT]

4. FreshFish32

FreshFish32 New Member

Unity.

Be it 2D or 3D, Unity will be a good stepping stone for you. Learning curve is relatively easy and there's tons of tutorials out there.

Good luck.

5. cyberpunkdreams

cyberpunkdreams New Member

I'd usually say Unity as well, although it does sound as if you have a special case here. If you really want your game to look just like an ordinary desktop than it may be more trouble that it's worth.