What do you think of the "GROW" games?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Davaris, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Davaris

Original Member

I just found a series of online games called Grow (Grow, Grow RPG and Grow Cube).

http://www.eyezmaze.com/grow/v3/index.html

I was very impressed with their originality. They look like a lot of work to make. Do you think a game with 20 grow style levels would do well on the portals? I don't think the game would have much replay value once you get the solution. I guess this would be classified as a puzzle/toy game.

2. RohoMech

Original Member

I totally agree with Pkeod, I do love the grow games, I've played all of them...but actaully I think they're sort of easy to figure out....why?

Well, it basically boils down to picking the right order, and you can see certain things stop growing after a few turns...soo, you can sorta figure out what turn that item needed to come into play.

The other issue I had, its a puzzle game, but what kind of rules / logic does the system have? I mean, its almost like I have to use the magic spoon to open the locked door.

But, I think you could overcome these issues, if you made a game with similiar gameplay, but had accessable logic, it might be far more rewarding to the average player.

3. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

These are pretty cool. I dont think the exact formula would work for a commercial title, but a variation might. Grow RPG is very fun to play with. It's got a fun feel. What they lack is skill vs pure luck play. Luck play isnt so bad for casual games, but I expect players might get a little frustrated eventually trying out combinations of moves. If there were some way to have the same kind of fun turn based, fun, watch things happen play, but inject a tiny bit of skill into it as opposed to just guessing you might have something there.

4. Davaris

Original Member

Yes perhaps if the solution relied on some form of gameplay and you are rewarded the closer you get to the solution.

Anyway I think this guy is onto something. It wouldn't surprise me if GROW became a major hit if he got the gameplay right. If I was a boss at PopCap or something similar, I'd be taking a hard look at this game.

5. jankoM

Indie Author

I must be stupid or somethin because I tried playing this game many different times (after reading about it again and again in news) and never understood what is the point.

6. Artinum

Original Member

What a strange little game. I'm not entirely sure I understand it but certainly different.

7. StGabriel

Original Member

As I understand them, there is some gameplay. If you watch what is happening you can notice that doing certain things before other things will allow or preclude certain other things from happening. It is by playing around with this that you get to the solution.

But that logic puzzle sort of gameplay is pretty intense for a casual audience.

8. Uty

Uty
    Original Member

I played the Grow RPG. It is a fun game, but it could be more fun. Players like decision making and impacting the game world, both of which can be seen here. But the decisions I'm making at any given time do not seem to be consequent from past decisions. Therefore any given decision can appear trivial. Furthermore it seems the best strategy for beating this game is to enumerate all possible decision trees until getting a desired outcome. This always breaks immersion.

9. Bmc

Bmc New Member

what exactly does the gameplay entail? maybe you can take the parts of it that appeal to you and apply it to a more "casual friendly" design

10. BinaryMoon

Indie Author

But that's exactly what happens. The closer you get to completing the game the more animations and interactions you get within the game world.The animations are your prize.

Personally I think these games are great and don't need changing at all, although they aren't the sort of thing you could sell.

11. Davaris

Original Member

I think it could sell if you pushed the concept further and made a world where what you add changes the way the entities in it behave and interact with each other.

This would be more like a Sim game. So you could have cave men wandering around and you could drop things on them like fire/iron/religion/hunting skills and see what they do.

Or you could have a DNA type game where you create weird plants and creatures depending on the genetic traits you drop on them. Eventually you could let your animals compete with other peoples creatures online. I wouldn't have a clue how to program the graphics side of this, but it could be fun to play with. :)

EDIT:
    If you know of any games like this please point me to them. :)

#11 Davaris, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  12. whisperstorm

Original Member

I'm not sure if this is the same as the GROW style games, but it does have a similar mechanic in that you have to learn the correct sequence of commands to give to achieve the optimal result (in this case saving the hostages).

Warbears:
    http://www.ioji.it/wb/wb.html

And if you could create a game that presents a series of "levels" that were as involved as this game, it may be viable as something to sell.

13. Bmc

Bmc New Member

warbears is pretty fun, it has enough problems though that it should be easy to make a better version.

14. Christian

Original Member

It seems everyone likes it, well i dont, but i think its a good entertainment, but not a good game, simply, its just a little thingy that is amusing to watch, thats all.

15. GemuhDesayinah

Original Member

It is a game, though. In order to "win" the game, one must choose the correct sequence of events.

How does one determine the correct sequence of events? Well, there are a number of rules the correct sequence must obey. Certain events trigger other events. Certain events MUST occur before other events. Certain events must occur ON the Nth turn of the game. Certain events must occur before/after the Nth turn of the game, etc. People figure out the patterns by trial and error. It's basically a logic puzzle.

However, the game has some major flaws that prevent its marketeability:
    (1) The goal of the game isn't intuitive to everyone: many people just see it as a collection of cute animations with little purpose.
    (2) Many of the relationships between the events aren't obvious, and can only be learned via trial and error. This can be tedious and frustrating.

If the above problems could be rectified, I think it's quite possible to make a profitable venture of it.

16. Chozabu

Original Member

That shouldnt be too hard..
    it may be a good plan to state an objective before a level?

Just start off with some simple levels, with only 3 - 4 items
    perhaps a tutorial level like:
    ----------------------------
    here is your world! <objective here?>
    its a bit quiet, perhaps some inhabitants would liven it up?
    (arrow points toward people icon)

but they have no method of transport!
    (arrow points to bike icon)
    ----------------------------

ok, thats a kinda lame example...

17. Davaris

Original Member

I'm just brainstorming here. Fell free to jump in and add your own ideas.

Perhaps if you dumped the logic part of the game it might work. So instead of having a score in your game, the score board could be this little world animating itself in ever more complex ways? So you could be playing a strategy/shootem up/match 3 in one screen and depending on the powerups/bonuses/score you get, the reward would be what happens in the animation.