What defines 'indie'

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Darkfall, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Darkfall

Darkfall New Member

Hey there everyone!

My first time on these forums (and as such my first post here) so I do hope that I'm posting this in the right place, if not do feel free to move this around!

I've got a general question, and that is:
    What do you define as an indie-project?

The reason for me asking this is, I've noticed some people talk about going entirely solo (seriously, you guys must be super human to make projects entirely alone) and others that work as in a team, and some of these teams end up being rather large. So it got me thinking about where the boundaries of the while 'indie' tag ends.

Lets take my position as an example:
    I'm a freelance Community Manager (focusing on games) and I work for a new game project that has freelancers from all over the world with all sorts of experience in their trades (from triple A, to free2play, to casual gaming) - I personally would call this an indie project, but would you?

And then there is another twist that the project founders want to create a holding company for the game(s) that we make, would that then break the indie boundaries or would you still count it as an indie game/project?

Thanks in advance for any replies to this! I am curious what this community has to say!

2. Cleaf

Cleaf New Member

Indie means independent. An individual or a small group of people using their own resources to develop an application without working under any organisation. However ,indie developers can still identify them as studios and work under the studio name. Indie development studios can contain people skilled in development , designing and marketing.

Darkfall likes this.
  3. OllyOllyBennett

OllyOllyBennett New Member

The console manufacturers have their first-, second-, and third-party development partners. These are either owned by the manufacturer, commissioned by the manufacturer, or develop for the manufacturer, respectively.

First- and Second-party developers are therefore not independent. Third-party developers can be big companies though, that then hire other companies to do the work for them, or be big publishers. If a publisher commissions a project, then the development is not independent.

If a developer develops a game exclusively, or if they develop their own game but seek a publisher to help out/fund, then it is independent.

Those definitions are not entirely absolute, and there are exceptions. Often people will talk about the 'spirit' of indie, which is harder to define. For example 'indie teams' formed within a big publisher.

4. zizulot

zizulot New Member

Solo artists its not superhumans :D , Im solo , Im allright at graphics and sounds, Good at code, beginner on marketing, point is as a Solo Developer you can be good at every aspect, but not great at it, Its like comparing boxer vs MMA fighter, I must agree I like to work alone thats the main reason Im going solo.

5. Darkfall

Darkfall New Member

Awesome stuff, thanks for the insights :)

6. Big Impact Sound

Big Impact Sound New Member

"Indie means independent. An individual or a small group of people using their own resources to develop an application without working under any organisation. However ,indie developers can still identify them as studios and work under the studio name. Indie development studios can contain people skilled in development , designing and marketing."

==> very nice definition of Cleaf!