What are you attending at GDC and why?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by joshuadallman, Mar 6, 2009.

1. joshuadallman

Original Member

I wanted to hear about what everyone's plans for GDC are, what they are and aren't attending, and why they're doing things the way they are.

I think this'll be my 3rd or 4th GDC, I can't remember (yeah they're that good), so by no means do I "have it down." I'm just interested in the variety of strategies and styles for the varieties of people's situations.

###

For my part, I'm going to the Flash Game Summit on Sunday (followed by the after-party) because my next big project will be a Flash one and I'm increasingly drawn to the technology for its casual inclinations, broad accessibility, and evolution with regard to synchronous gameplay, 3D graphics, and social and community feature integration.

Then Mon-Tues I'm attending the so-called Casual Game Summit -- it was a tough call between that and the Indie summit, but I've been indie for 5 years and only casual for maybe 1-2 so I'm more interested in hearing about what I know less about, and the casual market is the one I've been squarely targeting for a while. I'm going to the summit instead of the sessions because it's more directed towards my specific genre/market interest AND it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Tues night of course is the indie gamer forum dinner. I hope to trade war stories, learn random things through people's anecdotes, and meet some fun talented indie developers. We all need encouragement and it's great that we can all encourage each others work as peers.

Tues night is also the infamous Minna Mingle which I'll be attending almost as a compulsory thing. I have my game, Dragon Hatchery, which is just on the brink of release and looking for distribution, and while I'll not be explicitly promoting the game, I will be bringing "mini-flyers" with a full color screenshot and the website URL should any opportunities or chance meetings strike. There's also pretty much everyone I've ever met in the game industry that goes to the Minna's so it'll be fun to see old faces and friends. Though I'm not much of a shmoozer so I'll be ducking out at some point.

Weds I'll be doing the also-near-compulsory Expo booths sto check out the latest in the industry and to stay current.

Weds night I'll be going to the IGF and GDC awards for the same reason, to stay current, especially since I do not play AAA console games so it's invaluable to see what the industry considers top-notch.

I'm not going to any of the tutorials because they're too long (1 and 2 day sessions) and they overlap with the Casual Game Summit sessions.

I'm leaving Thursday as I have no interest in the career expo Friday and no week-long block of meetings planned.

All in all I'm looking forward to an informative, relaxed GDC brimming with content that I can use over the next year of indie development.

And y'all?

2. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Hmm, sunday night I'm at an impromptu dinner with the other AI game programmers guild guys. Monday and tuesday I'm involved with the AI summit. Both nights I think we have dinners planned.

Weds I'm probably going to trawl the expo floor and catch up with other people I know. I might try and catch some design sessions too.

Thursday likely some more design sessions, plus seeing if I can arrange some demo's of mocap tech I need to have a look at. Hit the expo floor again and try and get some time to chat with the other AI devs and indies. Visit the IGF booth and check out the games.

Friday more of the same, AI dinner friday night.

Saturday shopping :)

Sunday fly home again..

Frankly, after my sessions during the AI summit, I'm just going to go with the flow. The AI guys are likely going to have enough cool stuff to talk about that we could use the whole week up just shooting the breeze. But I need to do some expo review stuff for work and I've wanted to see some of the design track stuff (a friend is doing a talk during that too).

I dont really want too solid an agenda because I'm there for social reasons once my session on tuesday is over.

3. tfowers

tfowers New Member

Yeah - I'll be splitting my time between the Casual and Indie summits if I can - there are parts I like about both. I'm planning on the indie dinner and Minna mingle too. Expo on Wed - want to check out Unity.

4. NothingLikeit

Original Member

GDC Newb!

This is my first GDC. So as such I'm kinda like a freshman on the first day of college/high school. You know walking around, lost with a map in hand hoping the older kids don't try to beat him up. I'm projecting. anyway.

I plan on attending the Indie Dinner. I'd like to meet some of the people I've talked to on these forums for the past 4 years.

I'm also going to go to the GDC and IGF awards.

Beyond that not really sure. I've got the expo pass. So I can't do much. I think I get 5 introductory sessions. I'm not sure what those are though.

I also plan on attending the career pavilion. It'd be nice if I can pick up a job from this. :eek:

5. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

It's been on my TODO list for a number of years now, but at the same time I'm not looking to "big biz wheel and deal". I caught E3 before it disappeared, and GDC is just the other game industry event I want to be able to say I attended. Totally bragging rights. ;)

It's pricey though. So when appropriate, I've been submitting entries to the IGF. Sent PuffBOMB in for IGF 2006, got some positive responses, but by comparison Burn the Rope is more complete looking. Sent my iPhone game Smiles in this year (IGF Mobile 2009) and I'm a finalist. That's why I'm going. :)

I'll gladly go every couple years, if I can secure myself a free pass. ;)

6. gutripper

gutripper New Member

I'm just starting out an as indie, so it's the Indie Summit for me. The topics that people are speaking about look like that are custom made to answer the questions I want answered right now :)

I was at GDC in 2006 on behalf of my then employer, but spent most of my time at the tutorials and lectures, or at the expo. I'll certainly be looking around the expo, but decided to pass on the Wed-Fri sessions, since I'm not likely to be developing an MMO or a PS3 AAA game any time soon...

7. Xathia Vastar

Xathia Vastar New Member

I am going to be attendign GDC with other members of my school's Game Design program. I plan to bring my resume, business cards and copies of my full-length game there and hopefully see what job opportunities might be available for me. I would also like to take advantage of any panels that might be going on that gives tips on making it in the industry, whether indie or non. This is the first time I've ever gone to this, so I'd defintely like to take in everything I can! Of course, I'd also like to network as much as possible.

8. nateistoraw

nateistoraw New Member

I wish i could have attended.

9. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Wow. OK, now that I've done GDC, I'd probably go back again for the Independent Games Summit, IGF+GD Choice Awards, and any and all opportunities to hang out with fellow small developers. I had a blast. :D

10. Matthew

Indie Author

Sad I didn't get over to the Indiegamer dinner. Anyone have photos? My week was pretty well tapped out until after Wednesday.

And glad to hear people liked the IGS lineup!

11. Jeff

Indie Author

GDC was pretty awesome. I have one suggestion for all the other indies though -- please wear a T-shirt with your company's logo on it next time. :) I wasn't able to meet up with a lot of indies I really wanted to see because I just didn't recognize them at the events.

12. Xathia Vastar

Xathia Vastar New Member

I missed the Indie dinner thing. I didn't know where it was x_x
    I was hanging around the IGDA gatherings and I pretty much scoured both buildings about 5 times, making sure I didn't miss any networking opportunities :p -- and yes I played my share of Guitar Hero on the Activision Stage too!

I got LOTS of shirts. I think the highlight of my day was when I got a shirt from Obsidian Entertainment *___*

I went around passing out my brochures and business cards to all potential employers. I certainly hope there will be some job opportunites for me soon.