Web resources for students

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by jefferytitan, Oct 16, 2017.

1. jefferytitan

Original Member

Hi all,

I'm helping my wife to find materials that beginner game development students can use. Most of the articles and videos that I encounter are pretty specific. Does anyone know any good general resources for beginners? A few topics come to mind (as below), but anything else that you've encountered would be appreciated as well.
    • Differences between reality and games. Everything is all tricks, e.g. lighting and shadow misses a lot of subtleties like multiple reflections, caustics etc, AI is often very scripted and fragile, physics is prone to instability and most objects aren't destructible, objects are a polygon shell rather than solid unlike what Minecraft may lead them to believe, etc.
    • Examples of popular genres (game websites and/or gameplay video), but nothing too R rated. I see this as particularly difficult for the horror genre for obvious reasons, and multiplayer because of how people tend to act in voice chat.
    • The basics of game design. Less the formalities than brainstorming, limitations, how to find the fun, what the challenges are, etc.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    JT